5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serious Hot Coolant Smell

Bdrayton1

Reaction score
2020 Ram with 9,300 miles; vehicle has had dealer oil and tire rotation service 3 times based on on time since I haven’t had driven enough miles. Temp ran at <200 since new and all summer long, about 2 months ago I noticed a burning coolant smell in the garage and saw temp averaging 206 with occasional spikes to 221 (on 28-31 degree days). 3 wks ago when I went for normal oil service I asked them to check. They told me there was no leak but added nearly a gallon of coolant and charged me for it as well. Went back 10 days ago, pressure tested and still found no leak. Now the dealer says they have ordered a new radiator which was due in on 12/6 but have not heard anything yet. I’m pretty rural and almost afraid to take it anywhere worrying about getting stuck with an overheating truck in freezing weather and in an area with little traffic and spotty cell service. (Then to top it off, our 2020 Cherokee with 13,000 miles, purchased on the same day as the Ram, just shut off out on the interstate tonight, so we had to have road service pick it up and take it to the same dealer!) These are the first Chrysler products that we have ever purchased, so not off to a good start.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The fact that they are replacing the radiator means that you have a leak. You should get a refund for the anti-freeze they made you pay for since it was caused by a faulty part, and it's still under warranty.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just to mention, your higher temps are not unusual, your truck should cycle between 200F - 220F pretty normally without a load, occasionally to 230F under long idle. With a load, they can go up to 240F.

It's sucks you got that leak in the radiator, because otherwise you shouldn't have to ad coolant on these trucks. I had my truck for over two years with occasional towing and long idles in 100F summer days off-roading in the canyons for hours, with my coolant at 230F during those heavy times, I have yet in those two years had to add any coolant. My coolant level since new is at the full max in the reservoir.

Jako

Reaction score
Just to mention, your higher temps are not unusual, your truck should cycle between 200F - 220F pretty normally without a load, occasionally to 230F under long idle. With a load, they can go up to 240F.

It's sucks you got that leak in the radiator, because otherwise you shouldn't have to ad coolant on these trucks. I had my truck for over two years with occasional towing and long idles in 100F summer days off-roading in the canyons for hours, with my coolant at 230F during those heavy times, I have yet in those two years had to add any coolant. My coolant level since new is at the full max in the reservoir.
I had to add.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
2 year plus mark (currently 3 years), 18-20 K. I had the smell also at times. Have not added since and currently don't notice an odor.

Gotcha, maybe a small leak and enough calcium or what not filled the leak.

Stephenlaplaca

Reaction score
I got the same issue as everyone here. After driving the truck long or short distances. When I walk around the front of the truck after shutdown, I get a very strong smell of coolant. It’s a 2019 bighorn, 5.7. I’m getting the drivers side mirror replaced, when the dealership calls me to let me know it’s been painted. I let them know that it has a strong odor of coolant. I can update afterwards if anyone is interested?

FarmerJohn

Reaction score
Been searching the forum for this issue, due to a strong coolant smell at the front of the vehicle while idling in my driveway this morning. I pulled the truck out of the garage so I could load up things to haul away from the house. Being winter time and not daily driving the vehicle, I started it and let it run for 5 minutes or so while I loaded the truck. When I got to the door to get in, I noticed the smell. I had noticed it once before when I washed the truck but assumed I may have gotten soapy water on the radiator and just caused the smell that way.

One of the search results mentioned that over-filling the reservoir would cause the smell due to pressurization and subsequent overflow. Good idea, since I may have done that prior to winter preparations (checking fluids prior to the season).
Posting just to say, I smell it too and I want to follow along on this thread.

Merry Christmas!

KrustyKush

Reaction score
Possible also to have a leaky heater core. I had a brand new GM Yukon that had a coolant stink inside the cab. Heater core. Quite a job to replace it.

Reaction score
what did the issue end up being? my 2019 has a strong coolant smell along with the windows getting a film on the inside and a visible fog/mist through the vents. I strongly suspect the heater core.

rossrens

Reaction score
Hello All, I cant figure this out. I took it to a shop. They replaced my water pump stating that was it which I found odd considering the truck only has 37000 miles on it. The smell was still there a week later. I took it to another mechanic which also did a pressure check with no issues. I have had two mechanics come back with the same diagnosis and cant find a leak. I still coolant inside and when I get out its even worse. Has anyone had the same issue? What was the fix. I dont have foggy windows.
Help!!!!!
Thanks

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Hello All, I cant figure this out. I took it to a shop. They replaced my water pump stating that was it which I found odd considering the truck only has 37000 miles on it. The smell was still there a week later. I took it to another mechanic which also did a pressure check with no issues. I have had two mechanics come back with the same diagnosis and cant find a leak. I still coolant inside and when I get out its even worse. Has anyone had the same issue? What was the fix. I dont have foggy windows.
Help!!!!!
Thanks
I wonder if it could be the heater core, the initial symptoms is a sweet coolant smell coming from the vents.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Three speculations:
1) If the water pump was actually leaking, it may have got coolant film all over the front of the engine and everything around it. If not cleaned up adequately, the smell will come back every time the engine gets hot.
2) When they do a pressure check, are they substituting some kind of pump/gauge for the radiator cap? And if so, consider what happens if the radiator cap itself is bad, they might be removing the problem for the test, and then putting the problem back on afterwards.
3) Is there an underhood airflow situation that causes air passing over the expansion tank vent to then flow into the area of the cowl fresh air inlet?

Users who are viewing this thread