5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

serious buyers remorse with 9 issues

ramffml

Reaction score
  1. driver rear door not aligned. The bottom right side of this door sticks out further than the rest of the door frame.
  2. tick in engine. This tick sounds like a possible valve issue or an exhaust manifold leak. It can be heard by front passenger wheel when idling, and also by the driver wheel. Possibly the same sound is heard inside the truck when the truck is revving under load. When revving with no load (decelerating or just lifting foot of pedal) I don't notice it inside, completely dissappears there. Really notice it inside truck, accelerating while going past a rock wall with window open.
  3. console lid doesn't latch. In hot humid weather, the center console lid doesn't latch correctly, the metal/sprung latch doesn't click shut, it requires pressure from my fingers to close the metal latch manually. Then I press the lid closed, but during the process of closing the lid, the latch is forced open again and stays open, so the lid bounces back up. It can take a few painful "slams" before the lid stays shut in the summer.
  4. clunking while shifting from reverse to forward, or rolling starts from an almost complete stop. Backing out of driveway in reverse, come to complete (but short) stop, then shift to drive and accelerate. Immediate "clunk" is heard. Also same clunk is heard when coming up to a stoplight, truck is still rolling slightly but slowing down, then hit the gas. If truck comes to a complete stop, wait 3 seconds, then shift to drive, then wait 3 seconds, then hit the gas, the clunk doesn't show up. This sound hasn't shown up that much lately, possibly cold weather related? I've also been parking differently in driveway due to issue #6 and now I drive forwards on a cold start with no reverse until I get home at which point I back into driveway instead. Could be drive shaft or transmission related, but also could be suspension related? The front of truck is always lifting up (due to acceleration) at the same time the sound is heard.
  5. squeak over bumps from front left speaker, or top left of gauges. This seems to be related to temperature. There is a squeak coming from the gauge cluster that happens over bumps. It only appears when A/C is on in the summer (blowing cool air through vents) or when blowing warm air through vents in winter. Many times the same bumps in the road do not trigger the squeak unless I'm blowing hot/cool air in summer/winter. However it can be very annoying for a 3 hour trip when it's heard constantly throughout if the vents are being used. This sound can be replicated easily by just pushing with light to medium force in the clear plastic section of the gauge cluster, top left corner.
  6. brakes squeal/groan in reverse when cold start. Leave the truck off for a day or two, gets worse with damp-ish weather. Then start up truck and back out of driveway, I hear a groaning sound from brakes the entire time I'm backing out, even though my foot is not touching the brake pedal. After truck has been driven around (10 or more minutes), I come back home and sometimes reverse into the driveway, the sound is not there. So the sound only appears in reverse, usually worse when it's damp, and only when truck has been sitting/cold. To temporarily work around this I changed my parking routine so that now I only reverse into driveway when coming home, and drive out forwards when leaving home.
  7. creaking over bumps in cold weather. This appears to be coming from driver front side, suspension related. Only showed up when weather dropped below freezing but seems to be worse with really cold temperature? Driving in mall parking lot, going over speed bumps or slight dips combined with turning steering wheel, it's a light creaking noise and some may not hear it, but it's there quite often and especially noticable once you hear it and know what to listen for. Possibly bad shock/spring? Update: This may be fixed, I attempted to pull the trim off, got the bottom out and thought I'd wreck it by going further so pushed it back in and squeak is gone.
  8. major "clunk" over rough railroad track, rough pothole, engine mounts? I've heard this sound twice so far, and each time it was extremely noticable (almost scary). Once over a railroad track, once in a rough parking lot pothole. I'm afraid to try out whether the sound is still there because both times the bumps were larger than expected; I usually slow way down and "grandpa" my way over rough roads, these 2 times the rough spots caught me by surprise. However, I've hit similar sized bumps with other cars and not had this kind of noise. It was coming from the front center, somewhere right around where the engine is, leading me to suspect something like engine mounts or something like that.
  9. water mark on top of headliner against rear window. At the top of the inside of the roof, right against the rear window, there is a dirty water mark that runs across entire width of window/cabin. I haven't noticed any large amounts of water anywhere, nothing on the rear seat head rests or floor mats, but this has to be fixed very quickly before mold sets in.

Purchased May 2019, listed in order they've occurred or that I've noticed them. Admittedly some of these are minor (door alignment/console lid). I've tryed to stay positive so far but two days ago I saw the headliner water mark and kind of gave up at that point. Have no idea what to do, do I just sell this and take the hit or what. I've complained about the engine noise and the clunking to the dealer months ago and they're completely uninterested, claiming in the case of the engine "that's normal" (when I can hear it idling overtop of the sound of other cars in the same parking lot that are also idling but my truck is further away), and claiming in the case of the clunk (#4) that it's "driver error, driving to fast between switching gears", even leaving that report in my file so good luck with a warranty claim right?

Really, really, regretting this purchase. I would love the truck of those issues weren't there, but should have waited a few years to work out the pitiful build quality or just gone with a used ED or a chevy or something.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread