5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Septic System Advice?

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My house and septic system are less than 2 yrs old. My leach field started to pool. We have not done anything out of the ordinary as far as water usage. We're pretty consistent.

My research led me to believe that the muck in my leach field may be too thick so I just treated it with Green Gobbler.

Please share any knowledge, advice, opinions, experiences, etc. on septic.

My tank is 1050 gals.

Thank you.

n8zcc

Reaction score
My house and septic system are less than 2 yrs old. My leach field started to pool. We have not done anything out of the ordinary as far as water usage. We're pretty consistent.

My research led me to believe that the muck in my leach field may be too thick so I just treated it with Green Gobbler.

Please share any knowledge, advice, opinions, experiences, etc. on septic.

My tank is 1050 gals.

Thank you.
The tank collects solids while the liquid should run off to a secondary tank where it is then pumped to the septic field. If I understand correctly, your septic field is pooling. This brings up a lot of questions particularly since the system is only two years old.

How many children and adults live in the home?
Are you only flushing septic-safe products?
Was the septic system professionally installed?
Was the septic system inspected by local officials and approved?
What is your ground table water level?
Have you been experiencing a high level of rain or snow melt lately saturating the ground?
How much area of your septic field is pooling?

I've seen one issue somewhat like this but the pooling area was small. It was a pipe disconnect between the septic field and the pump.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Have you had a lot of rain recently? If so it's possible, especially if the drain field is in a low spot, that the ground is saturated and unable to leech the liquid as fast as usual. Just a thought.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tank collects solids while the liquid should run off to a secondary tank where it is then pumped to the septic field. If I understand correctly, your septic field is pooling. This brings up a lot of questions particularly since the system is only two years old.

How many children and adults live in the home?
Are you only flushing septic-safe products?
Was the septic system professionally installed?
Was the septic system inspected by local officials and approved?
What is your ground table water level?
Have you been experiencing a high level of rain or snow melt lately saturating the ground?
How much area of your septic field is pooling?

I've seen one issue somewhat like this but the pooling area was small. It was a pipe disconnect between the septic field and the pump.
2 adults 2 children
Flushing only 1 ply scott tissue. No wipes, etc.
Everything was installed or subbed by Holiday Builders brand new and inspected
I live in FL. No snow but lots of rain.
I over watered last Summer due to the drought but that was 5 months ago.
I've had it pumped 3 times in past 3 months.
My builder says field is saturated. I've had the Septic installer inspect drain field and their conclusion was the same. Saturated.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Florida. How high above sea level?

Really, it needed to pass a perk test for the builder to install it. Unless he did the Ben Franklin test. You mention that it "pumps" to the secondary tank. Typically this is done by gravity but some pump. Have you checked how much the pump is running?

79 300

Reaction score
I don't know if they exist in Florida but here in PA they have sand mound systems, which have a raised mound about 3 feet with the drain field pipes in there, then about a foot of topsoil above everything. In my county just about all newer homes have them, you usually need at least a 10 acre lot to get a permit for a standard in-ground system. The soil here has a lot of clay and doesn't drain well. It sounds like you may need something like that if the ground alone can't handle it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had one section of field line that was collapsed. Evidently when they built my house, someone passed over it with a tractor or heavy truck. No one said anything and they just backfilled it with dirt. Years later, things are backed up sewage everywhere in the yard.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I don't know if they exist in Florida but here in PA they have sand mound systems, which have a raised mound about 3 feet with the drain field pipes in there, then about a foot of topsoil above everything. In my county just about all newer homes have them, you usually need at least a 10 acre lot to get a permit for a standard in-ground system. The soil here has a lot of clay and doesn't drain well. It sounds like you may need something like that if the ground alone can't handle it.
Our county in VA now requires above ground systems much like you describe. We use peat down here. Mine was built in '89 back when you just recycled and put raw sewage back in the ground where it is meant to be!
I had one section of field line that was collapsed. Evidently when they built my house, someone passed over it with a tractor or heavy truck. No one said anything and they just backfilled it with dirt. Years later, things are backed up sewage everywhere in the yard.
This sounds like the most likely scenario yet.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm at sea level. The entire development is on septic. I'm the only one having issues. I've read that the muck in the drain field can get too thick and slow the leaching process l. That's why I shocked it with green gobbler. It supposed to work quickly and eat through it. Guess we'll see.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm considering this as a possibility. I'm going to give the gobbler some time before we start digging.

Did you have to replace the drain field line?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing, has anyone driven over the field?

More likely it is just too wet in your area to drain properly. All the rain the SE and Gulf Coast has been getting…

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm considering this as a possibility. I'm going to give the gobbler some time before we start digging.

Did you have to replace the drain field line?
Nope. I abandoned the collapsed section, movers the field line cap to the first good section, and bought some additional regular sewage pipe joints. Used that to extend from the septic tank to the cap in its new position.

The hard part it finding the collapsed piece. Once you know how deep it’s supposed to be, you can use a spade or something to push down on top. When the spade sinks too deep you’ve found the collapse.

Hope I’m making sense. I’ll find the pics if I can

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Btw, if I have trouble with the field line again, I’m gonna bypass it with pipe all the way to the ditch. Screw the govt

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to dig her up. Trying to get my builder to lend a hand since I'm under warranty and the house is only 2 yrs old. We'll see. I'm sure they'll blame it on some crap! Lol

Thanks again for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/