5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separator

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4WD

What tool works best for separating the UCA from the knuckle? I've worn myself out pounding on a pickle fork, pounding on the UCA and knuckle themselves. I've tried craftsman's separator, but it is too small, and another (larger) separator that was also too small. I need 3.75" or more to push the bolt up through the joint. I've borrowed a ball joint separator kit from the local auto parts store, but it is the wrong type.

Can anyone recommend a tool for this?

Last edited:

Jedi9

Reaction score
I used a 3 lb hammer to the UCA. Sorry I don't know what type of separator fits.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used this, appears to be a knock off of an "official tool". The thing that seemed to work the best was tightening the bolt with a closed end wrench and hitting the stub with a hammer at the same time
1000004905.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used this, appears to be a knock off of an "official tool". The thing that seemed to work the best was tightening the bolt with a closed end wrench and hitting the stub with a hammer at the same time
View attachment 179869
Even with this tool, you still need to hit UCA with a hammer after getting tension in ball joint

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4WD

What tool works best for separating the UCA from the knuckle? I've worn myself out pounding on a pickle fork, pounding on the UCA and knuckle themselves. I've tried craftsman's separator, but it is too small, and another (larger) separator that was also too small. I need 3.75" or more to push the bolt up through the joint. I've borrowed a ball joint separator kit from the local auto parts store, but it is the wrong type.

Can anyone recommend a tool for this?
Hopefully you are replacing your ball joints. Using a pickle fork does nothing but destroy the boot on the ball joint

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/