5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selling my truck today

rlc2020

Reaction score
So, I'll start by saying that I absolutely love my Ram and have zero bad things to say about it. That said, it's a lease and will need new tires and some scratch repairs done before I turn it in next year. So, I figured with the market the way it is I would see if I could buy it out and sell it. Turns out that these are worth some real $ right now to dealers as they have very little used inventory at the moment.

After looking at 3 places I ended up getting an offer that CLEARS me $3k in my pocket after turning in the truck with me doing zero work to it. So rather than paying about $1200 next year to turn it in to them (Tires, lease turn in fee, scratch repair) I'm actually going to make money on it. I'm going to buy something cheap and used for cash and hope that the market corrects itself after the holidays and I can grab a good deal on a leftover 1500 or maybe a Gladiator, haven't decided yet.

Just putting this out there for anyone that is on the fence about getting out of their truck, now seems to be the time.

The numbers: I got offered $39k as is with worn tires and a few scratches, but otherwise the truck is good. 26k miles on it Laramie with no option packages. 4x4, hemi, bench seat. I owe $7,400 left on the lease and a $27k buyout hence why I'm making money on selling it rather than just waiting and turning it in.

I'll still be on the forum because I'm 99% sure I'll be back in a Ram within 4-5 months.

Probably a big horn with ORG next time.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Interesting way to leverage the shortage of used trucks.

$39K for a laramie with 26K miles is pretty good. That would almost put my Limited with 22K miles at close to what I paid (out the door) for it (47K) - though I still have $10 on paper on it (purchase, not lease). The only thing that would get me on an upgrade - would be a 4X4 (the only option I didn't get this time - not that I really need it either.

I still love my truck - and after looking at other options recently - not really anything I would get into other than another Ram (because GM/Chevy Suburbans are STLL NOT AS NICE AS THE Ram).

Best of luck to you.

Rick

CPenn1086

Reaction score
I did this with my leased 2018 Grand Cherokee to get into my Ram. Sold it to Carvana and put almost 3k in my pocket. What a time to be alive!

Mike7311

Reaction score
Did the same on our Tundra to get into our Ram a month ago. My wife crashed our 2018 Tundra Platinum one month into the lease. She hit a pole coming around a corner in a parking lot. Just so everyone knows the accident avoidance system doesn’t avoid polls. It turned out costing us about $8000 in insurance cost to repair the front end of the truck. We were also over on miles, tires were worn, registration due, the truck had minor scratches and other issues that would’ve cost more on that lease return. I can’t lie I was shocked when the dealership offered us $1000 over the residual on the lease on the first offer. Now is definitely the time to unload leases for sure.

laramie4x4

Reaction score
there will be no leftover ram or gladiator after holiday. there is barely any leftover right now.

2wd

Reaction score
Are you trading on a new vehicle or just selling it outright to a dealer?

rlc2020

Reaction score
Are you trading on a new vehicle or just selling it outright to a dealer?
Just sold it to the dealer. I picked up a used square body suburban for cash and I'm going to rock that for a while until the market cools off and then order a 2021 1500 I'm pretty sure.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..where are you guys getting all these high sell offers?

Carvana and the like are offering normal **** sell/trade-in offers lower than I am normally offered from stealerships pre-China virus.

Not that I want to sell my truck, but if I can get close to my out the door price after almost a year and 10k miles she's gone.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the process of doing the same thing. My bighorn with 13k miles on it is getting traded in for 40k towards the laramie I ordered in my signature. Figured if you want to trade up there is no better time than now!

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the process of doing the same thing. My bighorn with 13k miles on it is getting traded in for 40k towards the laramie I ordered in my signature. Figured if you want to trade up there is no better time than now!
Wow.. Carvana offered me 41k for my loaded Longhorn with 10k on it...

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They offered me $40K for mine with all of my mods. Told them I would strip it down and then take $40K since they claimed mods don’t add value. I may as well sell off parts and let someone else enjoy it lol.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dealers in my area are currently using KBB. According to their website my Laramie that I paid $50k out the door one year ago is worth almost $48k trade-in with 5700 miles on it. Can't say I'm not tempted, but I really have no reason to get rid of a truck that has given me zero problems to date (if I overlook the rambox lid fitment issue). The only things I really want that I don't have with this truck is the 33 gallon fuel tank and MFT. The only question I'm asking myself is how much will it be worth in 2 years when I start looking for a new truck?

Just sold it to the dealer. I picked up a used square body suburban for cash and I'm going to rock that for a while until the market cools off and then order a 2021 1500 I'm pretty sure.
Good luck with the 'burban. I owned a '99 3/4 ton Suburban a few years ago and it was a great rig for me at the time. Had tons of seating, was very comfortable to drive, and excellent towing for my purposes. Wasn't great for commuting though. It had the 454 engine and only got about 10 mpg average when not towing. But I had another car for commuting. Only reason I got rid of it was I needed something I could haul landscaping materials in. An SUV doesn't work very well for hauling dirt, gravel, and rock in LOL. Hope to see you around the forum in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread