5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seller's right to cancel??

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Trust me you are NOT the first nor will you be the last. So you took them $20,000 cash ?

PorBoy

Reaction score
It’s the cash part that’s a pain in the behind to get back if this deal goes South. Had one deal where I paid them $30K in cash on a Monday as my down payment. Found out Monday night they were selling me a owners daily instead of what I paid for. Went back Tuesday to cancel the deal which they did but I had to wait 10 business days for a check.

Reaction score
It’s the cash part that’s a pain in the behind to get back if this deal goes South. Had one deal where I paid them $30K in cash on a Monday as my down payment. Found out Monday night they were selling me a owners daily instead of what I paid for. Went back Tuesday to cancel the deal which they did but I had to wait 10 business days for a check.
Ugh. I didn't even think about that. What a pain. Thanks for the heads up.

PorBoy

Reaction score
No problem , now that may not be the case in your situation. I was explained that they didn’t keep that kind of cash on the premises and it needed to come from their corporate office. But during that time they did their best to try and sell me another Mercedes from their lot.

Reaction score
No problem , now that may not be the case in your situation. I was explained that they didn’t keep that kind of cash on the premises and it needed to come from their corporate office. But during that time they did their best to try and sell me another Mercedes from their lot.
Haha I'll bet they did. They are opportunists. I'll give them that.

Reaction score
Outside of the hassle, do you like the truck ?
I do like it. It's a very nice truck. Great interior, great suspension, there does seem to be quite a bit of throttle lag. I don't remember my other 2 past rams being as sluggish. Looks wise I give it a 10. I sold my BMW to get back into a truck. It definitely suits me much better. I love the ride. What are some pros with your Laramie? If this deal falls through I might upgrade to one. I hear great things. I have 2 big dogs so the leather interior could be a problem.

PorBoy

Reaction score
The only reason I have a Laramie is that my wife is 5’1” and wanted and I do mean wanted a powered passenger seat. If not for that my (2nd ) fifth gen would have been a Tradesman with the ORP.

U

User_3336

If they DON'T offer to correct the mistake, you can bomb them with negative reviews on dealerrater, google, and OH MY, car dealers hate BBB complaints!

Reaction score
If they DON'T offer to correct the mistake, you can bomb them with negative reviews on dealerrater, google, and OH MY, car dealers hate BBB complaints!
You read my mind. Granted I fully understand I should have caught what they did in finance, it still wreaks of dirty dealings. We'll find out soon enough if they would rather have the $800+ dollars or a happy(ish) customer. I contacted the GM and lo and behold the finance dept finally gets back to me. Resolution pending...

U

User_3336

I know first hand about negative complaints about a dealer, I been through it, and prevailed.

This was a few years ago. First, the excessive $698 dealer doc fee was advertised to be "included in the sale price".
Secondly, a bedliner had inflated the advertised price (added to).

Dealer charged DOC FEE again on a line item, and charged for the bed liner again on a line item.

Numbers flew back and forth, of course, and what I thought by my own math seemed ok really wasn't.

I contacted the sales manager, the GM, and the owner via email explaining exactly how I came to the fact that they owed me $1293 back. Sales manager told me to come back the next day. GM and Owner totally ignored me.
When I got there, they of course, told me my signature agreed on the numbers, and there the deal they gave me was the best deal, and if I was not happy with the deal, they would take the truck back, and consider the contract null and void. I liked the truck and kept it (fully knowing I was fixing to raise total hell elsewhere).

the EXACT details of what happened hit DealerRater, Google Reviews, Edmunds, and the granddaddy of them all, the BBB. (Now, the BBB can't make any business do anything, they just record the experience and post it online).

I wrote the sales manager, GM, an Owner back, and told them I was still NOT happy of how they deceived me, and I hinted of the reviews. The sales manager called me back and told me "you made me look bad". Neither the GM, nor the Owner, ever contacted me, but they got copies of every email I had written. they offered me $500 back as good faith, I declined. They finally decided to give me the entire $1293 back *IF* I either deleted or revised the reviews.
DealerRater I revised, Google I revised, Edmunds I had to post a followup review, and the BBB review was closed stating the case has been resolved.

Depends on how far you want to fight it. I could have just gave the truck back, but in the end, they knew very well of their deceptive sales practices.

You read my mind. Granted I fully understand I should have caught what they did in finance, it still wreaks of dirty dealings. We'll find out soon enough if they would rather have the $800+ dollars or a happy(ish) customer. I contacted the GM and lo and behold the finance dept finally gets back to me. Resolution pending...

GregHBNA said:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm hoping it won't come to that, but this a great advice if it does. I purchased the truck may 22nd. They sent me the notice on June first to my email. The night of the 10th day.
email isn't legally proper "service" they have to send it by a trackable way ( certified mail or whatever the state requires to be legal notice ) to make sure YOU received it. Delete the email and forgot you ever saw it.

Reaction score
email isn't legally proper "service" they have to send it by a trackable way ( certified mail or whatever the state requires to be legal notice ) to make sure YOU received it. Delete the email and forgot you ever saw it.
Good point and good to know. Thanks.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think you have a leg to stand on. It stinks and a crappy situation but I believe it's a done deal unless a they get a concise and decide to the right thing. The paper they sent you is a just a scare tactic to send you on your way. They have that paper signed usually at time of delivery in case someone's financing falls through after delivery(usually subprime loans) . If your loan has been funded there not going to cancel and if they did you would be liable for "use" of the truck which would probably magically equate to the amount they over charged. Do you have anything in writing with correct price if not they can just say it wasn't so. Perhaps a little negetive press on the internet or local news story could push them to refund the difference.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think you have a leg to stand on. It stinks and a crappy situation but I believe it's a done deal unless a they get a concise and decide to the right thing. The paper they sent you is a just a scare tactic to send you on your way. They have that paper signed usually at time of delivery in case someone's financing falls through after delivery(usually subprime loans) . If your loan has been funded there not going to cancel and if they did you would be liable for "use" of the truck which would probably magically equate to the amount they over charged. Do you have anything in writing with correct price if not they can just say it wasn't so. Perhaps a little negetive press on the internet or local news story could push them to refund the difference.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
This is my fear as the agreed price was verbal. And technically, you're right, I signed the contract. So I only have myself to blame. I've never heard of a Seller's right to cancel. My credit score is 842 and I put 20k down on and 40k truck so I highly doubt financing would be an issue.

rws1944

Reaction score
This is my fear as the agreed price was verbal. And technically, you're right, I signed the contract. So I only have myself to blame. I've never heard of a Seller's right to cancel. My credit score is 842 and I put 20k down on and 40k truck so I highly doubt financing would be an issue.
After reading your thread I'm getting a little confused. Your original post said you and the dealer verbally agreed to an OTD price but the documents you signed had a price $837 higher. You further stated you contacted the dealer and they said to come back to signed a revised corrected contract. Did you every do this, if not, why not? The "Seller's Right To Cancel" has nothing to do with the question of what you paid for the truck. The Seller's Right To Cancel is your agreement with the dealer to return the truck if they are not able to find financing from the usual folks they sell contracts to. As far as the 90 period on the finance side of this deal is concerned it's there to make sure the dealer gets to keep the financing fee paid to the dealer by the finance company. Many finance company's will ask the dealer to repay the fee due to their not getting the interest they anticipated due to early repayment. Most folks simply make three equal principal payments so the loan is repaid in 90 days with a greatly reduced interest cost paid by you. I'm still not clear if the dealer has been paid from a finance company or not. If not, simply arrange financing yourself for the amount you verbally agreed to and continue to work with the dealer on the overcharge. After awhile the dealer will get tired and agree to the verbal price. After all, the dealer basically acknowledged the verbal price or they would not have asked you to come back and signed a revised, corrected contract.

Reaction score
After reading your thread I'm getting a little confused. Your original post said you and the dealer verbally agreed to an OTD price but the documents you signed had a price $837 higher. You further stated you contacted the dealer and they said to come back to signed a revised corrected contract. Did you every do this, if not, why not? The "Seller's Right To Cancel" has nothing to do with the question of what you paid for the truck. The Seller's Right To Cancel is your agreement with the dealer to return the truck if they are not able to find financing from the usual folks they sell contracts to. As far as the 90 period on the finance side of this deal is concerned it's there to make sure the dealer gets to keep the financing fee paid to the dealer by the finance company. Many finance company's will ask the dealer to repay the fee due to their not getting the interest they anticipated due to early repayment. Most folks simply make three equal principal payments so the loan is repaid in 90 days with a greatly reduced interest cost paid by you. I'm still not clear if the dealer has been paid from a finance company or not. If not, simply arrange financing yourself for the amount you verbally agreed to and continue to work with the dealer on the overcharge. After awhile the dealer will get tired and agree to the verbal price. After all, the dealer basically acknowledged the verbal price or they would not have asked you to come back and signed a revised, corrected contract.
Yes, it has all been worked out as of today. The dealership honored the agreed price and I have been assured that the seller's right to cancel letter was merely a formality. My reason for concern was 2 days after the finance manager agreed to have me come in and correct the contract I suddenly get this letter stating that the seller is exercising their right to cancel and I would need to return the vehicle. 7 days, 3 emails, and 2 voicemails later I had still not heard back from the dealership. I contacted the GM and was assured everything would be taken care. And I am pleased to report that it has. As far as the financing I have verbally agreed to staying with Chrysler for 90 days then I will refinance through my credit union. Thanks for all the good info.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it has all been worked out as of today. The dealership honored the agreed price and I have been assured that the seller's right to cancel letter was merely a formality. My reason for concern was 2 days after the finance manager agreed to have me come in and correct the contract I suddenly get this letter stating that the seller is exercising their right to cancel and I would need to return the vehicle. 7 days, 3 emails, and 2 voicemails later I had still not heard back from the dealership. I contacted the GM and was assured everything would be taken care. And I am pleased to report that it has. As far as the financing I have verbally agreed to staying with Chrysler for 90 days then I will refinance through my credit union. Thanks for all the good info.
As soon as you get your first statement in the mail, go refinance. Heck Call 18555635635 every day and get your account number and payoff, and do it ASAP. Fark that dealer. You won't lose any rebates, the dealer will just get shafted a few hundred bucks for you not keeping your loan with the captive lender. If you do it quickly enough it won't even cost you another credit pull/hit.

U

User_3336

You DO NOT have to float the 90 days. That is something that ALL finance managers say, because they get a back end bonus off the finance deal (And they probably marked up your percentage rate up 1-2%).

Do what you want, but with this dealer, I'd say screw you, and refinance as soon as you can get your account #.

Users who are viewing this thread