5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seller's right to cancel??

Reaction score
Hello forum, I'm looking some guidance and wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone else. 2 weeks ago I purchased my 3rd ram truck, a new 2020 bighorn night edition. I purchased from a very well known dealership. Probably the biggest in my area. I won't name them at this moment. After some negotiation we agreed on an OTD price and I left with the truck. The next day I went through the car contract and noticed the total vehicle price was $837 more than the agreed price. I called the dealership and they asked me to come in to sign a new, corrected contract. 2 days later I get an email from the compliance director with an attachment entitled "seller's right to cancel". I've emailed the finance guy 3 times and not heard back. I called the director of customer satisfaction today and explained the situation. She said "so and so" just walked in, I'll transfer you right to his desk. He never picked up so I left him a voicemail, then a few hours later another one. Still no response. I know everyone's busy and they are probably short handed but I'm beginning to get suspicious. And I'm not sure what to expect. Has anyone encountered anything like this? Would definitely appreciate any info. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200605-204646.png
    Screenshot_20200605-204646.png
    381.1 KB · Views: 154

Maconi

Reaction score
Sounds like a sales tactic designed to pressure you into paying the higher price to avoid all the inconvenience of returning the truck/canceling (making you feel psychologically that the truck is yours and now you're "losing" it by returning it).

I would drive the truck back to the dealer and demand they either give you a contract with the OTD price then and there or take the truck back.

RamGuy32

Reaction score
Let them take it back. It seems they're not willing to haggle over $837 and they'll lose far more than that with a previously registered vehicle. At this point, you can go out and get what you want at an agreed price. If they don't call you back, exercise the right forcefully by driving it back and parking it in the lot and not leaving until you have your down payment, and/or trade-in returned. They're trying to get you to accept the $837 price addition by making you think that you can't keep the vehicle and when they do get a hold of you they will tell you, "hey, good news...you can cancel that, we were ABLE to get someone to fund your loan." It'll look live they've done you a "favor" but in essence they're just trying to get you on the defensive. It's a bad tactic, but one dealerships use. This assumes you have good credit and they aren't having actual trouble getting the loan funded but quite frankly, they wouldn't have let you leave if they couldn't in 99.999 percent of cases.

Reaction score
Sounds like a sales tactic designed to pressure you into paying the higher price to avoid all the inconvenience of returning the truck/canceling (making you feel psychologically that the truck is yours and now you're "losing" it by returning it).

I would drive the truck back to the dealer and demand they either give you a contract with the OTD price then and there or take the truck back.
Wow. That is unbelievable if you are right and that is the case. What a huge inconvenience. I guess I'll find out when I go into the dealership. If this is the case I wonder what my recourse would be other than leaving bad reviews. I'm really hoping this is all some misunderstanding but if it smells like a rat.... Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Let them take it back. It seems they're not willing to haggle over $837 and they'll lose far more than that with a previously registered vehicle. At this point, you can go out and get what you want at an agreed price. If they don't call you back, exercise the right forcefully by driving it back and parking it in the lot and not leaving until you have your down payment, and/or trade-in returned. They're trying to get you to accept the $837 price addition by making you think that you can't keep the vehicle and when they do get a hold of you they will tell you, "hey, good news...you can cancel that, we were ABLE to get someone to fund your loan." It'll look live they've done you a "favor" but in essence they're just trying to get you on the defensive. It's a bad tactic, but one dealerships use. This assumes you have good credit and they aren't having actual trouble getting the loan funded but quite frankly, they wouldn't have let you leave if they couldn't in 99.999 percent of cases.
I'm at a loss for words if this is some sale tactic. I put 20k down and my credit score is 842. I could easily qualify for my own financing at a much lower rate but in order to qualify for the incentives I had to finance through FCA. After 3 months I can refinance the loan. What a nightmare. I just put in a weathertech bed and tailgate liner. This sounds like some serious BS. I've never heard of anything like this before. Well I will never agree to pay one penny more than the OTD price we agreed on. So lame. Thanks for the reply.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its been more than 10 days since you took delivery. Loan is assigned? Tell them to fark off and talk to your attorney.

File a complaint with every single regulatory agency your state has for car dealerships.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm at a loss for words if this is some sale tactic. I put 20k down and my credit score is 842. I could easily qualify for my own financing at a much lower rate but in order to qualify for the incentives I had to finance through FCA. After 3 months I can refinance the loan. What a nightmare. I just put in a weathertech bed and tailgate liner. This sounds like some serious BS. I've never heard of anything like this before. Well I will never agree to pay one penny more than the OTD price we agreed on. So lame. Thanks for the reply.
You don't need to wait to get rebates. The 3 months shtick is so the dealer doesn't get charged back their referral fee from the servicer. You can refinance the day you bought the truck. Fark them. Do it take more money out of their pockets.

Yogi217

Reaction score
I had some major issues with a compass and the dealership was giving me the run around. I called Chrysler directly and they have a corporate team that helps with these issues. They actually call the dealership and put pressure on them and tell them to knock it off because they give fca a bad rap.

Call fca customer service and they will assign you a case manager

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

U

User_3336

Let them have it back. Did you sign a "CONDITIONAL SALE" agreement? Meaning that if financing doesn't go thru, or there is some mistake on the paperwork, the sale is not final...
they do this all the time in TN.

U

User_3336

Actually, you need your account number before you can refinance, and sometimes it takes weeks for a deal to be properly funded, so, NO, you can't refinance the day you bought the truck!
BUT, True, you do NOT have to wait three months to refinance/pay off the loan, the dealership just says that.

You don't need to wait to get rebates. The 3 months shtick is so the dealer doesn't get charged back their referral fee from the servicer. You can refinance the day you bought the truck. Fark them. Do it take more money out of their pockets.

parnine

Reaction score
... we agreed on an OTD price and I left with the truck. The next day I went through the car contract and noticed the total vehicle price was $837 more than the agreed price. ..

Crappy dealer by far, but come on ..... you hold some responsibility for not reading what you sign, much less it seems like it would have been an easy catch as you agreed on a price, say $54,387 and then the contract, at the bottom says $55,224 - easy to notice no?

in the end it seems you signed an agreement and now want out of it
- SHAME on them for mis leading you
- SHAME on you for signing something that was different than your verbal agreement

a) name the dealer
b) if the $837 is that important, return their threat and give them the truck back, they loose way more than you in the end ......

Reaction score
Crappy dealer by far, but come on ..... you hold some responsibility for not reading what you sign, much less it seems like it would have been an easy catch as you agreed on a price, say $54,387 and then the contract, at the bottom says $55,224 - easy to notice no?

in the end it seems you signed an agreement and now want out of it
- SHAME on them for mis leading you
- SHAME on you for signing something that was different than your verbal agreement

a) name the dealer
b) if the $837 is that important, return their threat and give them the truck back, they loose way more than you in the end ......
You're right. I let my guard down. A mistake I won't make again. I am at this moment treating this as a problem to be fixed to give the dealership one chance to honor the price that we shook on. If they do not I will name them.

Reaction score
Its been more than 10 days since you took delivery. Loan is assigned? Tell them to fark off and talk to your attorney.

File a complaint with every single regulatory agency your state has for car dealerships.
I'm hoping it won't come to that, but this a great advice if it does. I purchased the truck may 22nd. They sent me the notice on June first to my email. The night of the 10th day.

Reaction score
I did not realize this. Thank you. They told me I'd have to wait 90 days. My credit union will give me 2.69% apr vs the 5.54 through FCA through the dealership. I'm definitely doing this immediately if they decide to go or the original deal, otherwise they'll have to take the truck back and give me my 20k back. All this over $837.

Reaction score
I had some major issues with a compass and the dealership was giving me the run around. I called Chrysler directly and they have a corporate team that helps with these issues. They actually call the dealership and put pressure on them and tell them to knock it off because they give fca a bad rap.

Call fca customer service and they will assign you a case manager

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
That great news to hear. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely call them if the dealership does not agree to honor the original price.

STR

Reaction score
This is an uncommon situation, but it’s clearly written in the contract. I guess you need to weigh the degree of inconvenience. Do you have any evidence of the agreed upon price, i.e., email, text, etc. If so, this might help your case. Regardless, it’s still a shady way to conduct business. I hope that you get it resolved to your satisfaction. Keeps us updated.

Reaction score
Let them have it back. Did you sign a "CONDITIONAL SALE" agreement? Meaning that if financing doesn't go thru, or there is some mistake on the paperwork, the sale is not final...
they do this all the time in TN.
There is some mouse print about a 10 day right for the seller to cancel due to financing, but my credit is 842 and I put half down.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My thought, with a credit score of 842 and $20K down you shouldn’t be the one they are trying to gain $900 from. It’s usually those with iffy credit and small dollar amounts down they aim to scheme. Now with that being said did you sign the contract for that additional cost of $800+ ?

Reaction score
This is an uncommon situation, but it’s clearly written in the contract. I guess you need to weigh the degree of inconvenience. Do you have any evidence of the agreed upon price, i.e., email, text, etc. If so, this might help your case. Regardless, it’s still a shady way to conduct business. I hope that you get it resolved to your satisfaction. Keeps us updated.
Agreed. I would have made my life a lot easier if I had just noticed the bloated vehicle price in the finance office, but I let my guard down. It was after hours, my wife was freezing, we were frantically counting cash trying to get out of there. The price was verbally agreed upon but I have a few witnesses. So far no one has refuted the agreed OTD price. Even the finance guy initially said to just come in and sign a new, corrected contract. I will definitely keep you all posted.

Reaction score
My thought, with a credit score of 842 and $20K down you shouldn’t be the one they are trying to gain $900 from. It’s usually those with iffy credit and small dollar amounts down they aim to scheme. Now with that being said did you sign the contract for that additional cost of $800+ ?
I did. It was a stupid mistake that I will never make again. I let my guard down.

Users who are viewing this thread