5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selected Ride Height Not Permitted

naylor07

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 limited with the air suspension system. When I attempt to go from off road 1 to off road 2 I get the message that the ride height is not permitted. Car is in park when attempting to do this. Any idea on how to fix this?

naylor07

Reaction score
Do you have the offroad package? If so you lose offroad 2 due to already being an inch higher.

I do! That makes sense. I didn’t see anything about it in the manual so I couldn’t figure it out. Thanks for the quick reply.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have OR1 and OR2 settings, you don't have the off road package.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do! That makes sense. I didn’t see anything about it in the manual so I couldn’t figure it out. Thanks for the quick reply.
Yeah, the manual has it wrong. A non-Rebel with ORG and air acts like a Rebel with air in the manual (with respect to air ride modes).

And yes...the computer realizes that there’s another setting you’re “not allowed” to use. In fact, when you start the truck and the system goes through it’s checks, you’ll (very briefly) see all five air suspension lights come on...even though you only have access to four of them.

naylor07

Reaction score
If you have OR1 and OR2 settings, you don't have the off road package.

Sort of incorrect, like @SpeedyV said, you can see the settings for OR1 and OR2 including the light, but you just can't go select it. It will let you "try" and then say unavailable.

Yeah, the manual has it wrong. A non-Rebel with ORG and air acts like a Rebel with air in the manual (with respect to air ride modes).

And yes...the computer realizes that there’s another setting you’re “not allowed” to use. In fact, when you start the truck and the system goes through it’s checks, you’ll (very briefly) see all five air suspension lights come on...even though you only have access to four of them.

Seems like they could have designed it to not even show that, lol. I get why they didn't as it only impacts the off-road package versions.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sort of incorrect, like @SpeedyV said, you can see the settings for OR1 and OR2 including the light, but you just can't go select it. It will let you "try" and then say unavailable.

Seems like they could have designed it to not even show that, lol. I get why they didn't as it only impacts the off-road package versions.
I discovered this after I ordered the truck (but before I took delivery), when I was reading over the owner's manual online. It bothered me that they didn't account for the unique behavior of the air suspension with this option combination (Off-Road Group + 4-Corner Air Suspension). But in practice, it's a non-issue. You don't notice the extra light by the air suspension switch (except at startup), and the other modes work as expected.

It would take about 15 minutes for someone to update the owner's manual to include a note in the regular air suspension section that states "Note: Trucks equipped with both the Off-Road Group and 4-Corner Air Suspension will permit four levels of adjustment, similar to Rebel models with the 4-Corner Air Suspension. Refer to the section entitled Active-Level Four Corner Air Suspension System (Rebel Models Only) - If Equipped."

Food for thought...it might be possible to replace the existing air bags with versions with 5-6" of travel (a bit longer than the stock units) and reprogram the computer to remove the "not permitted" restriction. Instead of the stock 1" lift that you get with the ORG, you might be able to get 2" or more without "topping out" those air bags. Probably an expensive mod, though...

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ah; I get it now. Thanks for spelling that out.

Koop74

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 5.7 etorque limited longhorn with OR1 and OR2 was working. Now it tells it it is not permitted. All my settings never changed while I was using OR. The truck doesn’t have 8,000 miles on it. I have got the alarm air suspension cooling down. Now it I get check air suspension alarm. Anyone know what’s the fix for this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread