5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security Thoughts on trucks other than TRX

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen and read quite a bit about it. Then seen it get shredded by one of the IGLA installers that is on both forums. Seems like it’s good for low end/no tech thefts almost like the club (which is where I started my initial thought process; then saw how easily they removed by cutting the steering wheel).
The IGLA installer has a vested interest in telling people why not to get competing products. That's business he doesn't get. He can say Al he wants about his reasons, but you can't tell me he isn't biased.

rick619

Reaction score
must be only on Galaxy phones

I have a Google Pixel 8 - It's under: Settings, safety & emergency, unknown tracker alerts

I've never noticed an alert, but curious to scan inside my truck and my wife's Expedition.

I see the air tags as a possible way to track your wife/girlfriend/car repair place. Though not the best way to track down a thief.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
New to owning Ram trucks as of last month. I’ve joined this forum as well as read quite a bit on the RAM TRX Forum. Didn’t realize so many trucks were being stolen but not surprised.
Having said that, everything I have seen on this (so far) has been about the TRX, not the other versions/trims such as the Limited I currently own.

Thoughts on stolen Rams other than TRX’s?

99% of my trucks intended life is parked in my garage and driving around town with about 2-3 trips a year (maybe 150-500 miles).
I have a trip to Virginia (from New England) this summer. I’ll be staying at multiple hotels, some very nice, some I’m not sure of just yet as I plan on stopping at a few tourist spots on the way back (Ie Annapolis or South Shore of NJ, etc)

So just trying to figure out pros and cons of any security system (such as inconveniences if any with added security). IGLA seems to be the most mentioned.
Also, the closest IGLA installer is an all day affair as it’s in NH about 3 hrs away I believe.

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts….
Get a ghost II immobilizer, it’s a sequence of buttons on the steering wheel that you’ve chosen that needs to be entered for the vehicle to be driven. Also, carjack mode can be enabled so as to when you’re idling and someone tells you to get out of the vehicle pointing a gun, as soon as your driver door opens and closes while idling, if the sequence of button aren’t entered, once the piece of **** thief drives off, the vehicle shuts down when the brakes are applied to either slow down to corner or stop to avoid a crash or light, generally this is within a half mile/km. But if they’re evading I doubt the stop lights would be a concern. They’d still touch the brakes at some point after the elapsed time to enter the code. Thus leaving the truck on the side of the road for you to find.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
New to owning Ram trucks as of last month. I’ve joined this forum as well as read quite a bit on the RAM TRX Forum. Didn’t realize so many trucks were being stolen but not surprised.
Having said that, everything I have seen on this (so far) has been about the TRX, not the other versions/trims such as the Limited I currently own.

Thoughts on stolen Rams other than TRX’s?

99% of my trucks intended life is parked in my garage and driving around town with about 2-3 trips a year (maybe 150-500 miles).
I have a trip to Virginia (from New England) this summer. I’ll be staying at multiple hotels, some very nice, some I’m not sure of just yet as I plan on stopping at a few tourist spots on the way back (Ie Annapolis or South Shore of NJ, etc)

So just trying to figure out pros and cons of any security system (such as inconveniences if any with added security). IGLA seems to be the most mentioned.
Also, the closest IGLA installer is an all day affair as it’s in NH about 3 hrs away I believe.

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts….
Get a ghost II immobilizer, it’s a sequence of buttons on the steering wheel that you’ve chosen that needs to be entered for the vehicle to be driven. Also, carjack mode can be enabled so as to when you’re idling and someone tells you to get out of the vehicle pointing a gun, as soon as your driver door opens and closes while idling, if the sequence of button aren’t entered, once the piece of **** thief drives off, the vehicle shuts down when the brakes are applied to either slow down to corner or stop to avoid a crash or light, generally this is within a half mile/km. But if they’re evading I doubt the stop lights would be a concern. They’d still touch the brakes at some point after the elapsed time to enter the code. Thus leaving the truck on the side of the road for you to find.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The IGLA installer has a vested interest in telling people why not to get competing products. That's business he doesn't get. He can say Al he wants about his reasons, but you can't tell me he isn't biased.
I can tell you this: I know him personally, and he’s passionate about vehicle security. Many people don’t like his method of delivery, but it’s pretty hard to call BS on the facts that he brings to the table.
Call it bias, or call it truth. Either way, it’s the same message. I would argue that anyone who is offended by what he says is the one with a bias towards their own favorite system (Ravelco, Tazer, Club, faraday bags, whatever).

For a long while, I sat back and watched the security debates with a mild sense of amusement. Then one day I watched a video of Ravelco being defeated in seconds (which was my only form of security). At that point, I decided that I was not going to be the next guy whining on a forum about my truck being stolen because I never thought it would happen to me.

1923bob

Reaction score
Yep. I'm not an expert, but I have read hundreds of posts about security. Tazer DT is a theft deterrent at best. It will slow them down, but it will not stop a well prepared thief. Here are some posts explaining how to defeat the Tazer.

Ravelco claims 0 thefts with their product installed since the mid-70's, which is BS, but they get away with it. A Ravelco equipped TRX was stolen a couple of weeks ago from a little league soccer parking lot with Ravelco installed and the owner has video footage of the dirt bags driving his truck away. These videos show that it takes about one minute to defeat Ravelco.

I love the Tazer DT the pin loke is great and some other things I have should slow them down maybe they will just move on

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
First thing I did was hide an Apple Air Tag in the truck and my wifes GC, so at least it can be found.
That only works if there is a compatible device in the vicinity to transmit the location. Thieves usually carry nothing that can or a jammer. They leave it in a secluded area and then come back about 24 hours later and look to see if anyone is watching and its still there. If it is, its now theirs. Get real protection. You are supposed to prevent the theft not try and recover it only to have a branded theft title.

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
Cheapest deterrent is likely a faraday bag for your fob, and a club for your steering wheel.

Use the faraday bag to prevent this:

Radio attack on car for just $20

Use the club as an additional deterrent.

Thieves are stealing them every night in this city, and often times they show up in groups of three or four. One victim had a Ring doorbell video of a perpetrator covering their front door with a rifle while the rest of the crew stole the car.
Probably the worst combination actually. They just make a new key and cut your steering wheel in a few seconds.

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
I love the Tazer DT the pin loke is great and some other things I have should slow them down maybe they will just move on
Actually its not an anti theft at all and after explaining to everyone how easy it is to just unplug it, make a new key and relearn the throttle parameters the maker finally started admitting it. The pin feature only works 3/4’s of the time and has been known to fry rf hubs.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Its the easiest can to get access to without setting the alarm off. Criminals are smart. People think they aren’t
Key can’t be bypassed or rewritten, they can’t jam a signal, it’s basically theft proof other than a flatbed taking your vehicle.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Key can’t be bypassed or rewritten, they can’t jam a signal, it’s basically theft proof other than a flatbed taking your vehicle.
Are you talking about Ram trucks?

M3forged

Reaction score
This post isn't going to contribute a thing so with that being said the monkey thing is hilarious and we just need 1 guy to figure out how to electrify the door handles and were all set.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Are you talking about Ram trucks?
Yup, like my 2022 ram rebel gt. Have a ghost II immobilizer in it and sleep well and drive it with a smile. Not a single worry as I’ve gotten into it forgetting to put the code in or opening the driver door after the code was. Put in, and to just be reminded a half mile down the road when she shuts down, that I’ve got a great theft proof vehicle.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Just google ghost II immobilizers, read up and make your own conclusions

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, like my 2022 ram rebel gt. Have a ghost II immobilizer in it and sleep well and drive it with a smile. Not a single worry as I’ve gotten into it forgetting to put the code in or opening the driver door after the code was. Put in, and to just be reminded a half mile down the road when she shuts down, that I’ve got a great theft proof vehicle.
Ok, I thought you were talking about a stock Ram truck.
@Air’d outSRT - correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Ghost a previous version (or European version) of IGLA?

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
I’ve owned the system in my truck for over a year and it’s flawless, no issues and if I don’t want someone to drive the truck then they can’t if they don’t know the code, keys or not.

Users who are viewing this thread