5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security Thoughts on trucks other than TRX

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That only stops the fob cloning method. It doesn’t prevent someone from programming a new key, which appears to be the more common method.
If I was stealing cars\trucks I would 100% make new fobs and not even try to retransmit. The counterfeit dealer level tools are available and less risk getting caught.
The videos I see are sloppy as heck, but they are still successful... hmmmmm.

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First thing I did was hide an Apple Air Tag in the truck and my wifes GC, so at least it can be found.

rick619

Reaction score
First thing I did was hide an Apple Air Tag in the truck and my wifes GC, so at least it can be found.

So what's the plan there? Round up a posse with guns and take down the car theft ring? I'm guessing the police would tell you to pound sand and call your insurance co.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So what's the plan there? Round up a posse with guns and take down the car theft ring? I'm guessing the police would tell you to pound sand and call your insurance co.
Police have moved on airtags before, and even got in trouble for doing so.
They can make a well visit, and if they physically see the property make a move on it depending on what state you live in.
You don't seem very up to date on your information regrading registered theft of property or security to keep commenting... Are you just trying to troll at this point?

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They can make a well visit, and if they physically see the property make a move on it depending on what state you live in.
You don't seem very up to date on your information regrading registered theft of property or security to keep commenting... Are you just trying to troll at this point?
I watched a YT vid about a guy in Toronto Canada using airtag on his GMC Yukon. Truck got stolen and he was able to track it, all the way to Dubai :ROFLMAO: Not sure what the Police did for him.

Edit ... found the vid

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
He's in California. That should more than explain it if you've been keeping up with how criminals are no longer prosecuted there

rick619

Reaction score

No, just wondering what he's going to do when he tracks down his truck. Sure, if it's parked in the open, unattended, get in and drive away. Though if it's surrounded by thieves stripping it, not going to be able to recover it without police. Police cooperation would depend on the area. I'm sure my area they would tell me to pound sand because they're too busy.

So my reply was half joking, but would like to hear what people with air tags intend to do if they're able to track it. Drive by and see if they can recover it without getting killed? I don't have air tags in mine, but pretty sure I'd be tracking my truck moving towards Mexico on a tow truck, then into Mexico and gone.

rick619

Reaction score
He's in California. That should more than explain it if you've been keeping up with how criminals are no longer prosecuted there

Pretty much. Unless someone was killed or some major homicide, I expect nothing would be done.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

rick619

Reaction score

That guy got pretty lucky:

1. Noticed it was missing shortly after being stolen
2. Was in a county that actually gave a s***
3. The thief (or someone near the thief) had an iphone and it reported where the air tag was located

I would be out of luck with #2.

#1, if it's stolen at night after I go to bed, I'm probably not going to notice until the morning. Probably in Mexico by then.

cerbo

Reaction score
it would also appear that where you live (and park) has a lot to do with how concerned you are about theft and if it s worth further investments to prevent it. Not a one size fits all.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
it would also appear that where you live (and park) has a lot to do with how concerned you are about theft and if it s worth further investments to prevent it. Not a one size fits all.

No doubt about it. At home I park in a locked garage 75 feet off a small street in a very small town. At work I park in a private parking lot within full view of people inside. I suppose someone could try to steal it when I'm at work, but the chance of being seen is very high. And police here will respond to stolen vehicles. When we travel I take other precautions (that I don't bother with when parking at home or work) which I won't detail here. It won't stop someone with a roll-back or tow truck from stealing it, and given enough time someone could probably figure out how to bypass my precautions. But as mentioned previously, it'll hopefully slow them down enough so that they move on to easier targets.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That guy got pretty lucky:

1. Noticed it was missing shortly after being stolen
2. Was in a county that actually gave a s***
3. The thief (or someone near the thief) had an iphone and it reported where the air tag was located

I would be out of luck with #2.

#1, if it's stolen at night after I go to bed, I'm probably not going to notice until the morning. Probably in Mexico by then.

He was very lucky. I would never count on an Airtag saving my truck from being stolen. Most guys that use Airtags, hide a few of them and remove the speakers. Airtags have also been hidden on vehicles by thieves, so they can figure out where you live. I have my Galaxy S23+ set up to automatically scan for trackers so if some dirtbag puts one on my truck, I'll get a notification.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He was very lucky. I would never count on an Airtag saving my truck from being stolen. Most guys that use Airtags, hide a few of them and remove the speakers. Airtags have also been hidden on vehicles by thieves, so they can figure out where you live. I have my Galaxy S23+ set up to automatically scan for trackers so if some dirtbag puts one on my truck, I'll get a notification.
Which App do you use?

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Cheapest deterrent is likely a faraday bag for your fob, and a club for your steering wheel.

Use the faraday bag to prevent this:

Radio attack on car for just $20

Use the club as an additional deterrent.

Thieves are stealing them every night in this city, and often times they show up in groups of three or four. One victim had a Ring doorbell video of a perpetrator covering their front door with a rifle while the rest of the crew stole the car.

Users who are viewing this thread