5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security Thoughts on trucks other than TRX

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As long as your key has the chip in it, I really don't believe in getting any other security system. They're not going to be able to start it without the key, so they would have to tow it away. If they're willing to do that, they're going to be able to steal mine. That's why I pay insurance. I have never had a vehicle stolen, so not going to put an alarm or anything else on.
I'm sorry, but that's a very uneducated statement. Ram trucks are VERY EASILY stolen without having the key fob in hand.

If your fob is nearby, they can clone the signal and drive away.
Or they can use any number of key fob programmers to program a NEW key and drive away.

rick619

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that's a very uneducated statement. Ram trucks are VERY EASILY stolen without having the key fob in hand.

If your fob is nearby, they can clone the signal and drive away.
Or they can use any number of key fob programmers to program a NEW key and drive away.

Again, that's what insurance is for. I think you guys are a little too paranoid. If they want it, they're going to get it. Even if you have an alarm, kill switch, the club or whatever they can still tow it away. Most thieves are not this high tech. Car jacking has increased because MOST thieves would need the key. You're talking very low probability with these high tech car thefts.

Maybe you live in an area with high theft? Fine, add whatever you want to make yourself feel safe. I'm not in a 'rich' area by any means. Never had a car even get broken into and don't leave valuables in plain sight. My truck is in the driveway, not in my garage. So not going to worry about it unless it starts happening in my area.

I had a co-worker get a laptop stolen out of his car, broke the window to take it. I had one question: Was it visible? Yes, it was on the floor.

When I bought mine Sunday, they were also offering Catalytic Converter insurance. I thought they were joking. Does anyone buy that? Wow!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Again, that's what insurance is for. I think you guys are a little too paranoid. If they want it, they're going to get it. Even if you have an alarm, kill switch, the club or whatever they can still tow it away. Most thieves are not this high tech. Car jacking has increased because MOST thieves would need the key. You're talking very low probability with these high tech car thefts.

Maybe you live in an area with high theft? Fine, add whatever you want to make yourself feel safe. I'm not in a 'rich' area by any means. Never had a car even get broken into and don't leave valuables in plain sight. So not going to worry about it unless it starts happening in my area.

I had a co-worker get a laptop stolen out of his car, broke the window to take it. I had one question: Was it visible? Yes, it was on the floor.

When I bought mine Sunday, they were also offering Catalytic Converter insurance. I thought they were joking. Does anyone buy that? Wow!
It's pretty irresponsible to tell other members that they don't need to worry about theft, when there is ample proof of these trucks being stolen (yes, even regular DT's, not just the TRX).

And you're COMPLETELY wrong with the statement that "most thieves are not this high tech". When they show up to steal a Mopar vehicle, they know EXACTLY what to do. Unless you have a system that spoils their script.

rick619

Reaction score
It's pretty irresponsible to tell other members that they don't need to worry about theft, when there is ample proof of these trucks being stolen (yes, even regular DT's, not just the TRX).

And you're COMPLETELY wrong with the statement that "most thieves are not this high tech". When they show up to steal a Mopar vehicle, they know EXACTLY what to do. Unless you have a system that spoils their script.

I pay my insurance. I'm 51 and have never had a vehicle stolen. Maybe if it happens, I'll take steps to prevent it.

Mine is parked in my driveway unattended when I'm not at work. I'm not worried about it. If you are, then by all means pay thousands of dollars to prevent it. Just figure out how much your deductible is and the cost of putting an alarm (or whatever) in every vehicle you own for the rest of your life. I am a gambler and so far the odds are in my favor.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I pay my insurance. I'm 51 and have never had a vehicle stolen. Maybe if it happens, I'll take steps to prevent it.

Mine is parked in my driveway unattended when I'm not at work. I'm not worried about it. If you are, then by all means pay thousands of dollars to prevent it. Just figure out how much your deductible is and the cost of putting an alarm (or whatever) in every vehicle you own for the rest of your life. I am a gambler and so far the odds are in my favor.
You also need to realize that these trucks are not replaceable now.

What is Eighty going to get if someone steals his 22 TRX?
Not like he can go out and buy a new 2025 one even if he has an extra $150k burning a hole in his pocket.
Same goes for all of us with a Hemi in our 1500 now too.

Do you leave your doors at home unlocked because you have home insurance?

I don't worry about my truck getting stolen, but it depends on where you live and where you drive to.
Someone also responded to your comment about key chips which as he said is 100% wrong, and sometimes it's better to say nothing then something just incorrect.

That said I just use my alarm and lock my truck leaving nothing inside. I don't even use locking lugnuts for my 22s.
I have never had any car\truck I have owned broken into, but I 100% know theft does happen as close as a town over from where I live.

rick619

Reaction score
You also need to realize that these trucks are not replaceable now.

What is Eighty going to get if someone steals his 22 TRX?
Not like he can go out and buy a new 2025 one even if he has an extra $150k burning a hole in his pocket.
Same goes for all of us with a Hemi in our 1500 now too.

Do you leave your doors at home unlocked because you have home insurance?

I don't worry about my truck getting stolen, but it depends on where you live and where you drive to.
Someone also responded to your comment about key chips which as he said is 100% wrong, and sometimes it's better to say nothing then something just incorrect.

That said I just use my alarm and lock my truck leaving nothing inside. I don't even use locking lugnuts for my 22s.
I have never had any car\truck I have owned broken into, but I 100% know theft does happen as close as a town over from where I live.

Sure, it's possible if you park in unattended areas. I'm not opposed to anyone else getting an alarm. I just don't want one. I've seen too many alarm systems fail and cause problems, especially if it has a starter kill. Luckily it's a free country, so do what you want. If you think your truck is higher risk for getting stolen, by all means go ahead and get an alarm. The thread specifies people that don't own a TRX, I do not.

Do I leave my doors at home unlocked? No, and I don't leave my truck unlocked either. Not sure where you're going with this one...

The comment about someone bypassing the key chip still seems very far fetched. Again, when it happens, maybe I'll get an alarm on the next one.

Most of this depends on someone living, working, or regularly parking in a high risk area. Since my work parking lot is gated with a security guard, I guess my home is more at risk. It's just not something I'm going to worry about until it happens.

Regarding the trucks not being replaceable? Even when all the '24's are gone, you will still be able to get a used one if you must. The only vehicles I see as not replaceable are collector/rare cars. Or maybe my Jeep since it's got a ton of aftermarket parts. It is kept in the garage and does have a chipped key. So if you have a bunch of mods on your truck, I can also see wanting an alarm.

GMetal

Reaction score
Sure, it's possible if you park in unattended areas. I'm not opposed to anyone else getting an alarm. I just don't want one. I've seen too many alarm systems fail and cause problems, especially if it has a starter kill. Luckily it's a free country, so do what you want. If you think your truck is higher risk for getting stolen, by all means go ahead and get an alarm. The thread specifies people that don't own a TRX, I do not.

Do I leave my doors at home unlocked? No, and I don't leave my truck unlocked either. Not sure where you're going with this one...

The comment about someone bypassing the key chip still seems very far fetched. Again, when it happens, maybe I'll get an alarm on the next one.

Most of this depends on someone living, working, or regularly parking in a high risk area. Since my work parking lot is gated with a security guard, I guess my home is more at risk. It's just not something I'm going to worry about until it happens.

Regarding the trucks not being replaceable? Even when all the '24's are gone, you will still be able to get a used one if you must. The only vehicles I see as not replaceable are collector/rare cars. Or maybe my Jeep since it's got a ton of aftermarket parts. It is kept in the garage and does have a chipped key. So if you have a bunch of mods on your truck, I can also see wanting an alarm.
Its hardly far fetched. Todays car thieves have the internet and multiple options to steal vehicles. this video shows how fast they steal your truck with no noise.

GMetal

Reaction score
The bare minimum is move or protect the horn wires. This prevents them from disabling the factory horn. Add a horn on a pin switch if they open the hood a siren sounds. Some sort of kill switch. Lock the steering wheel at an angle with a bike lock type cable. Disable the factory e-brake release cable or prevent access to the release cable so they cant easily roll the truck onto a roll back. Most you can do is delay the theft process or make it too troublesome so they abandon the theft. If it does get stolen check nearby apartments for the vehicle. Its usually a SOP for thieves to park a vehicle nearby before they disable the GPS. These trucks are very easy to steal with a $80 hacking device available off ebay. Most of these thefts are done by gangs aware of all the ways to steal your truck.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

You really shouldn't comment about something that you clearly do not understand. Your comments might lead someone to believe that these trucks are difficult to steal.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
These vehicles can be stolen in about 60-90 seconds. Doesn’t matter where it’s parked, people are having them taken from their driveway right in front of their house while they are inside. The car is gone before you even know they were there. Don’t believe just because you have a transponder your vehicle is safe. Push to start vehicles are far more susceptible to theft than traditional key starts.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Its hardly far fetched. Todays car thieves have the internet and multiple options to steal vehicles. this video shows how fast they steal your truck with no noise.
Ever hear about the "kia tiktok challenge?

Having an alarm doesn't change anything.
They disconnect your horn by just shoving a piece of metal through the front of your grill and poof no more horn. Sure you might get flashing lights for 30-60 seconds after they break in and start to program the new key.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

It's great to have insurance. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. If you feel covered then that's great. Just because you haven't had a vehicle stolen or broken into doesn't mean it won't happen. And if it does happen you'll have the pleasure of dealing with your insurance company, being without a truck for however long that takes, and even if you are made whole by the insurance company, you've had to go through all of that hassle. I don't know about you but my time is valuable. I have much better things to do with my time than deal with an insurance claim and everything that goes with that. I guess for me it comes down to the fact that I'd rather have the vehicle I own now. I don't have an aftermarket alarm. I've takes other steps to slow down car thieves. That's the key to thwarting car thieves. They want to get in, get the vehicle, and get out as fast as possible.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ever hear about the "kia tiktok challenge?

Having an alarm doesn't change anything.
They disconnect your horn by just shoving a piece of metal through the front of your grill and poof no more horn. Sure you might get flashing lights for 30-60 seconds after they break in and start to program the new key.
The workaround to having the horn disconnected is to have an alarm with a separate siren (that's not accessible from the outside of the vehicle). For example, I have IGLA/Compustar, and the Compustar has its own siren.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The workaround to having the horn disconnected is to have an alarm with a separate siren (that's not accessible from the outside of the vehicle). For example, I have IGLA/Compustar, and the Compustar has its own siren.
I know, but the point is it's not a factory system (at least with the current way Ram has it designed)

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
As long as your key has the chip in it, I really don't believe in getting any other security system. They're not going to be able to start it without the key, so they would have to tow it away. If they're willing to do that, they're going to be able to steal mine. That's why I pay insurance. I have never had a vehicle stolen, so not going to put an alarm or anything else on.

Bought mine last Sunday. The first dealer I went to had some sort of GPS tracking device installed (starguard?). Said you don't have to pay a subscription fee and can track it on your phone. Would've bought that one, but they had over $5K worth of useless add ons installed and wouldn't remove them. So I bought mine somewhere else.

I live in CA and have a Jeep. Many Jeeps get stolen and end up in Mexico (about 2 hours away). People with Lojack and such have tracked their Jeep moving and the police still won't do anything, just watch it cross the border never to be seen again.

The dealer I bought from: The only add on they had was an alarm. Though I had the option to decline it and they disabled it. Alarms (even dealer installed) can cause problems. My wife's last two cars had dealer installed alarms and both were problems (electrical) that I won't get into.
this is laughable!
"That's why I pay insurance"

they don't make these trucks with a hemi anymore!

what do you do then???
I am not buying used

1923bob

Reaction score

Bought mine last Sunday. The first dealer I went to had some sort of GPS tracking device installed (starguard?). Said you don't have to pay a subscription fee and can track it on your phone. Would've bought that one, but they had over $5K worth of useless add ons installed and wouldn't remove them. So I bought mine somewhere else.

I live in CA and have a Jeep. Many Jeeps get stolen and end up in Mexico (about 2 hours away). People with Lojack and such have tracked their Jeep moving and the police still won't do anything, just watch it cross the border never to be seen again.

The dealer I bought from: The only add on they had was an alarm. Though I had the option to decline it and they disabled it. Alarms (even dealer installed) can cause problems. My wife's last two cars had dealer installed alarms and both were problems (electrical) that I won't get into.
That's the bad part we are so close to Mexico.

1923bob

Reaction score

Maybe you live in an area with high theft? Fine, add whatever you want to make yourself feel safe. I'm not in a 'rich' area by any means. Never had a car even get broken into and don't leave valuables in plain sight. My truck is in the driveway, not in my garage. So not going to worry about it unless it starts happening in my area.

I don't think any Ram is safe all you can do is try and slow them down and make it hard on them. MY Tazer and some other things make it a little harder to just drive away.

M3forged

Reaction score
I'm going with IGLA and I only have a measly 21 Rebel. It's only money and with mods I would never get whats put into it from insurance. If they bypass that alarm system well good on them I suppose. At least I'll feel like I did what I could.

vtcats

Reaction score
Agree with most sentiments on this thread. Piece of mind for some thing is worth quite a bit and when you pay 50-80k for a vehicle 1-2k is not really an issue. I guess I should really start a thread on the IGLA or others. (Yes, I’ve seen a ton and one thread that was early 2023 where someone described their “cons”. I’m pretty sure many things with that system have changed since that thread and most of those things are not necessarily described on their website.

Right now my biggest con is I’d have to drive 3-3 1/2 hrs to get installed and if there was ever an unforeseen issue down the road that’s a LONG way. But my gut is telling me to still go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread