5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security Thoughts on trucks other than TRX

vtcats

Reaction score
New to owning Ram trucks as of last month. I’ve joined this forum as well as read quite a bit on the RAM TRX Forum. Didn’t realize so many trucks were being stolen but not surprised.
Having said that, everything I have seen on this (so far) has been about the TRX, not the other versions/trims such as the Limited I currently own.

Thoughts on stolen Rams other than TRX’s?

99% of my trucks intended life is parked in my garage and driving around town with about 2-3 trips a year (maybe 150-500 miles).
I have a trip to Virginia (from New England) this summer. I’ll be staying at multiple hotels, some very nice, some I’m not sure of just yet as I plan on stopping at a few tourist spots on the way back (Ie Annapolis or South Shore of NJ, etc)

So just trying to figure out pros and cons of any security system (such as inconveniences if any with added security). IGLA seems to be the most mentioned.
Also, the closest IGLA installer is an all day affair as it’s in NH about 3 hrs away I believe.

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts….

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you’re being paranoid. The targeted vehicles are generally TRX/Scatpacks/Hellcats very few will be a dime of a dozen less desirable mass produced 1500. They’re after the good stuff aka the powertrain not the 5.7 Hemi.

vtcats

Reaction score
I think you’re being paranoid. The targeted vehicles are generally TRX/Scatpacks/Hellcats very few will be a dime of a dozen less desirable mass produced 1500. They’re after the good stuff aka the powertrain not the 5.7 Hemi.
Hopefully that remains true and good to know. And yes, probably paranoid, but it’s always a thin line between paranoid and prepared I guess…and ironically I never thought twice about a vehicle being stolen till I started reading this forum. Either way, I appreciate your opinion

vtcats

Reaction score
I have seen and read quite a bit about it. Then seen it get shredded by one of the IGLA installers that is on both forums. Seems like it’s good for low end/no tech thefts almost like the club (which is where I started my initial thought process; then saw how easily they removed by cutting the steering wheel).

GMetal

Reaction score
4x4s are often high value targets down here by the border.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Look into the Tazer DT for security

PIN Lock allows you to set a steering wheel button sequence (PIN) that must be entered before the vehicle can be driven. Learn more in your Tazer’s User Manual.​

Tazer is not a security tool. Don't tell people to get one because of something it isn't.

New to owning Ram trucks as of last month. I’ve joined this forum as well as read quite a bit on the RAM TRX Forum. Didn’t realize so many trucks were being stolen but not surprised.
Having said that, everything I have seen on this (so far) has been about the TRX, not the other versions/trims such as the Limited I currently own.

Thoughts on stolen Rams other than TRX’s?

99% of my trucks intended life is parked in my garage and driving around town with about 2-3 trips a year (maybe 150-500 miles).
I have a trip to Virginia (from New England) this summer. I’ll be staying at multiple hotels, some very nice, some I’m not sure of just yet as I plan on stopping at a few tourist spots on the way back (Ie Annapolis or South Shore of NJ, etc)

So just trying to figure out pros and cons of any security system (such as inconveniences if any with added security). IGLA seems to be the most mentioned.
Also, the closest IGLA installer is an all day affair as it’s in NH about 3 hrs away I believe.

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts….
I'm in MA and auto theft doesn't seem to really be a thing out here. An old Honda Civic is more likely to get stolen around here then a higher end car/truck (doesn't make sense to me).
Also lots of these thefts happen late at night from people driveways. Just be smart where you park it, no valet, etc.
For your plans throwing a wheel lokc is more likely to deter someone from even trying, else you still get a smashed window best case.
I wouldn't worry about it.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tazer is not a security tool. Don't tell people to get one because of something it isn't.
States right on my post, PIN needed for driving. I'm not gonna argue with you like you always want to. Others have mentioned it as well for security. Enjoy!

vtcats

Reaction score

I'm in MA and auto theft doesn't seem to really be a thing out here. An old Honda Civic is more likely to get stolen around here then a higher end car/truck (doesn't make sense to me).
Also lots of these thefts happen late at night from people driveways. Just be smart where you park it, no valet, etc.
For your plans throwing a wheel lokc is more likely to deter someone from even trying, else you still get a smashed window best case.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah, around here same thing, and most are because people get out and leave there car running. Or just leave it unlocked.
But it’s the trips to other states that had me thinking and why I posted this thread.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just be smart about where you parking leave it in a well lit area if it feels sketchy park/stay elsewhere. If it makes you feel better hide a airtag somewhere in your truck. I travel a good portion of the year for work driving… my Ram I see many different states , several sketchy areas and stayed in many sketchy places.. never have I thought I hope my truck doesn’t get stolen. Im more concerned with clueless reckless drivers hitting or dinging said truck.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Tazer is not an antitheft device. It's a little better than the Club, but at $300 it's a waste of money if you are looking for it to prevent theft.

If you want some peace of mind and you don't want to spend $1200, you could buy the Ampire Wfs400-pro canbus immobilizer. I'm told that it's similar to an older version of IGLA. If you have a 23 or 24 and the RF Hub is locked, this should be enough to thwart most theft attempts.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Tazer is not an antitheft device. It's a little better than the Club, but at $300 it's a waste of money if you are looking for it to prevent theft.
Interesting, since they claim it's a security device and others as well. I would think a lawsuit for false advertising. I don't have one and no need for it, just what others claim.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting, since they claim it's a security device and others as well. I would think a lawsuit for false advertising. I don't have one and no need for it, just what others claim.

Yep. I'm not an expert, but I have read hundreds of posts about security. Tazer DT is a theft deterrent at best. It will slow them down, but it will not stop a well prepared thief. Here are some posts explaining how to defeat the Tazer.

Ravelco claims 0 thefts with their product installed since the mid-70's, which is BS, but they get away with it. A Ravelco equipped TRX was stolen a couple of weeks ago from a little league soccer parking lot with Ravelco installed and the owner has video footage of the dirt bags driving his truck away. These videos show that it takes about one minute to defeat Ravelco.

GMetal

Reaction score
I've disconnected my brake switch for temporary security. If you try to start the truck you will throw codes and need to clear them before starting. The key is remembering to plug it back in before starting.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
I have an alarm on my truck that disables the PTS switch, and it also has a tilt/glass sensor. So if someone tries to tow it, the alarm will go off and report to my phone instantly. I have installed a bunch of them in various Hellcats/SRTs, and I’ve even had several clients whose vehicles were targeted after having the system installed. They had a window broken and the alarm triggered sending the would be thieves running. None have been stolen, just had to have windows replaced.

1923bob

Reaction score
I've disconnected my brake switch for temporary security. If you try to start the truck you will throw codes and need to clear them before starting. The key is remembering to plug it back in before starting.
One of the best security systems S/W

rick619

Reaction score
As long as your key has the chip in it, I really don't believe in getting any other security system. They're not going to be able to start it without the key, so they would have to tow it away. If they're willing to do that, they're going to be able to steal mine. That's why I pay insurance. I have never had a vehicle stolen, so not going to put an alarm or anything else on.

Bought mine last Sunday. The first dealer I went to had some sort of GPS tracking device installed (starguard?). Said you don't have to pay a subscription fee and can track it on your phone. Would've bought that one, but they had over $5K worth of useless add ons installed and wouldn't remove them. So I bought mine somewhere else.

I live in CA and have a Jeep. Many Jeeps get stolen and end up in Mexico (about 2 hours away). People with Lojack and such have tracked their Jeep moving and the police still won't do anything, just watch it cross the border never to be seen again.

The dealer I bought from: The only add on they had was an alarm. Though I had the option to decline it and they disabled it. Alarms (even dealer installed) can cause problems. My wife's last two cars had dealer installed alarms and both were problems (electrical) that I won't get into.

Users who are viewing this thread