5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security lug nuts?

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trying to decide what way to go, I want to protect my wheels and tires so want a locking lug nut of some sort.hat do you think is better, the single locking nut on each wheel or something like the spline socket on all the nuts? As looks go I am leaning towards the black spline style in 14x1.50. That is the size right? Some of the web sites are confusing due to the 2019 "Classic" and "New Rams"
What say you?

Ranger

Reaction score
Personal preference. I have spline lugs. The last time I had keyed locking lugs the darn key tool cracked when I used my impact during a tire rotation. Based on that mess up, I go with spline lugs that are impact rated.

For maximum security, the keyed lugs are better IMHO.

Whichever you go with ... Test them on your spare tire!! I found that my spline lugs don't mate well with my spare, so I keep a set of the OEM acorns in my emergency bag for my spare.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Trying to decide what way to go, I want to protect my wheels and tires so want a locking lug nut of some sort.hat do you think is better, the single locking nut on each wheel or something like the spline socket on all the nuts? As looks go I am leaning towards the black spline style in 14x1.50. That is the size right? Some of the web sites are confusing due to the 2019 "Classic" and "New Rams"
What say you?
Personally a waste of money. If someone wants your rims/tires they will get them, locks or not. Gone are the days of teenagers lifting your wheels; professional thugs working for chop shops have the tools/ability to lift what they want quickly. A friends Suburban had locks and ended up on blocks. He went inside his house, came back less than an hour later, and it was sitting on bricks. Also, insurance pays for it, but you don’t get a discount for locks on your policy. YMMV.

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I've always used Gorilla locking lugs on my cars. Every lug is a lock. I recently bought this set for my Ram. This one comes with 24 lugs and is black. They also come in chrome.

Gorilla locks

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always thought locks were a good idea until i lost the key and ended up buying a 'universal' key... ie Lug Nut Extractor set for ~$40

unless wheel theft is a huge thing in your area (in which case your best bet is 2 different locking nuts per wheel + lug nut covers so it can't be easily cased) I'd pass on them these days

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. Another victim here, I’ve seen two different people I know lose their wheels even though they had fancy locks.

I’ve been told....you can freeze them off really fast.... freeze and wack with a hammer.

James1414d

Reaction score
Mine came with Mopar wheel locks. They are pretty nice units with a ring around them to "prevent" pounding a socket on them to spin them off. Not sure they would keep a persistent thief away however.

thebluegoat

Reaction score
Mine came with Mopar wheel locks. They are pretty nice units with a ring around them to "prevent" pounding a socket on them to spin them off. Not sure they would keep a persistent thief away however.
I had those on my 2011. A hammer and screw driver makes quick work of that ring and a socket pounded on takes care of the rest. Needed to do it when I broke the key AND the replacement key for the locking nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread