5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security Gateway Module bypass for Alfa OBD or others

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Attached is a video I made of the location of the Security Gateway Module and two plugs that must be unplugged to make changes using Alfa OBD or other software. Hope it helps others. I used it to change the tire size on my truck since i got larger tires.
The bypass cable runs about $20 and so does the OBD2 scanner I used. The Alfa OBD app is $49 on Google play, so all in I spent around $90.

Last edited:

74k5blazer

Reaction score
Attached is a video I made of the location of the Security Gateway Module and two plugs that must be unplugged to make changes using Alfa OBD or other software. Hope it helps others. I used it to change the tire size on my truck since i got larger tires.
The bypass cable runs about $20 and so does the OBD2 scanner I used. The Alfa OBD app is $49 on Google play, so all in I spent around $90.

So I can use that cable to set up my trailer brake?

DieselRebel

Reaction score
You added on a trailer brake and want to update settings? Yes you should be able to use it and AlfaOBD app

2020 1500 Rebel 3.0 Ecodiesel, 3.92, 12A, Level 2, Ramboxes, 33 gallon tank, 50k miles

Raydar

Reaction score
Yes. I used a different module, but still used AlfaOBD. There are fairly detailed instructions, elsewhere on the forum. (I followed them carefully. Worked great.)

AKRam21

Reaction score
DieselRebel

Dieselrebel - I was just wondering which OBD2 scanner you found that only cost about $20, and still works with AlfaODB? The ones I was looking at cost $60 - $130. Thanks!

Jack.

Reaction score
Im assuming this method should work for the 21 model year as well?

Jack.

Reaction score
Are these the 2 security plug that I need to unhook and plug into the bypass? For some odd reason mine is tuck pretty far up compares to the videos I've seen (if this is the correct ones)

Attachments

• 20230506_161303.jpg
    20230506_161303.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 66

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are these the 2 security plug that I need to unhook and plug into the bypass? For some odd reason mine is tuck pretty far up compares to the videos I've seen (if this is the correct ones)
Looks right to me. They will either fit or not. Should be on the far left sidewall under the dash.

Cleggy02

Reaction score
Yes. I used a different module, but still used AlfaOBD. There are fairly detailed instructions, elsewhere on the forum. (I followed them carefully. Worked great.)
What module did you use? Installing a trailer break next week but my horn stopped working yesterday so gonna order the scanner asap to figure it out. Already replaced the fuse and wires are fine so not sure what it is.

Raydar

Reaction score
What module did you use? Installing a trailer break next week but my horn stopped working yesterday so gonna order the scanner asap to figure it out. Already replaced the fuse and wires are fine so not sure what it is.
I don't remember. I'll have to go and look. It's out in my truck, and it's raining small domestic animals here, just now.
Are you talking about the SGW bypass module? Or the Bluetooth module. There are lots of different brands out there.
I bought the ones suggested in the first thread I happened upon.
If you take your truck to the dealer to troubleshoot the horn, they may "update" your BCM. If they do, it will erase any changes you have made. Including the programming for the trailer brake controller.

Users who are viewing this thread