5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Secret compartment?

burnboy

Reaction score
2019 new Ram
To the left of the steering wheel, under the pedal control buttons is a compartment. If you open it, there is a orange fabric pull loop. Pulling it feels like it engages a switch. Anyone know what this is? I cant find it in the manual.

AndreiV

Reaction score
2019 new Ram
To the left of the steering wheel, under the pedal control buttons is a compartment. If you open it, there is a orange fabric pull loop. Pulling it feels like it engages a switch. Anyone know what this is? I cant find it in the manual.
For truck to be towed if battery is dead and you need to engage transmission into neutral, just guessing?

KcRay

Reaction score
2019 new Ram
Isn't that the manual parking gear release? If the battery is dead the shifter won't work, and you need to move the truck.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe that's the electrical park override - it's in the manual for emergency release

Last edited:

Tom488

Reaction score
For truck to be towed if battery is dead and you need to engage transmission into neutral, just guessing?
Yep - that's the park override. It's in the owner's manual, page 477, under 'Manual Park Release'. I use mine all the time when putting my vehicle on a 2-post frame lift. I like to have the vehicle in neutral, to easily position it in the lift (after I get out), and don't like leaving the ignition on to do so. This lets me put the truck in park, shut it completely off, then disengage the transmission and roll it around as needed. When done, give it another yank to re-engage, then stow the handle/strap back in it's original position.

ETA - No, not an EPB override. If your electric parking brake is set, and you lose all battery power, you're kind of screwed, until you get power back. There's no manual, non-electronic way to release it, short of disassembling the rear calipers.

DrAudio

Reaction score
Dang. I was hoping it was a parachute ripcord. Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVAH-13

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for the input, I was not aware of this feature.

Users who are viewing this thread