5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second thoughts on purchase

Gator3643

Reaction score
Had my check in hand to buy new 2019 Rebel..wanted to give it a final look and test drive before handing over the check. The first thing I noticed is the carpet under the rear seat on both sides was damp. Second thing is the engine had a knock or tap like a bad lifter ...it was worse at starting and became less as it warmed up but did not go away all together. I see hwere third brake light leaks have been issues...but this is a NEW 2019 on the lot, never titled, 4 miles on the odometer! I walked away and now must decide what truck I will buy. I really loved the style of the Rebel, and have heard mixed love em or hate em about Ram in general...what to do??

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had my check in hand to buy new 2019 Rebel..wanted to give it a final look and test drive before handing over the check. The first thing I noticed is the carpet under the rear seat on both sides was damp. Second thing is the engine had a knock or tap like a bad lifter ...it was worse at starting and became less as it warmed up but did not go away all together. I see hwere third brake light leaks have been issues...but this is a NEW 2019 on the lot, never titled, 4 miles on the odometer! I walked away and now must decide what truck I will buy. I really loved the style of the Rebel, and have heard mixed love em or hate em about Ram in general...what to do??

Test drive a different that doesn't have those issues. :) I don't think that will be the norm, but I probably wouldn't go ahead and purchase that one with those concerns.

DSOOBY

Reaction score

The carpet shouldn't be damp, obviously. There have been reports of incorrectly installed drains for the pano sunroof if that Rebel was equipped with it. As far as noisy lifters, that's just how the Hemi is. They are loud in general, especially on start up. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not that I would ever stray.....ok, I've been known to but I'd go look at a Raptor if that is the style you are looking for.

Gator3643

Reaction score
The carpet shouldn't be damp, obviously. There have been reports of incorrectly installed drains for the pano sunroof if that Rebel was equipped with it. As far as noisy lifters, that's just how the Hemi is. They are loud in general, especially on start up. I wouldn't worry about that at all.
This had a power sunroof but not the panoramic...only the smaller single. My gut says the rear window as it had rained hard the previous two days...not something I want to deal with. I only noticed because I was looking to see if there was under seat storage compartments...to my surprise there were not..

Longhorn

Reaction score
There does seem to be a lot issues with this first year release.... I’m gonna hold out till they are fixed...

DSOOBY

Reaction score
This had a power sunroof but not the panoramic...only the smaller single. My gut says the rear window as it had rained hard the previous two days...not something I want to deal with. I only noticed because I was looking to see if there was under seat storage compartments...to my surprise there were not..

Gotcha. The under seat storage is a $95 option which can easily be added in by your dealer, as well as the Ram Bins in the floor. Just FYI. Keep looking around but don't count the truck out!

DSOOBY

Reaction score
There does seem to be a lot issues with this first year release.... I’m gonna hold out till they are fixed...

No new vehicle launch is without some hiccups. The big 3 for the 2019 have been front end clunk (annoying but the truck is ostensibly fine), squealing brakes (seems to have been solved at the factory level with updated brake pads so it should only effect early builds (mine had it and new pads solved it easy peasy)), and lastly sub par AC performance which I see as being the biggest concern ( I live in Texas and it's been hot as hell until a week or two ago). The AC could be cause by a few things, many point to the new type of refrigerant used in the truck, others were simply low on freon from the factory. Mine is much better if I use a sunshade.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I always say if you have your doubts about the vehicle you’re purchasing, do not purchase that vehicle. There is nothing wrong with doing so and if you want moving on to a different brand. It all comes down to what’s going to have you at ease when you do hand over the check. I’m not going to tell you one brand of 2019 I’d better then another as they will all have first year problems. What it really comes down to is the service support as far as taking care of them.

Good luck with whatever vehicle you end up with, and my best goes out to you. :)

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my truck. I do. I wish I would have listened to myself and waited. People try to minimize issues people have. I don't accept for a 2019 YM problems like the ones we have should exist. Leaks especially, Clunks and rattles, Ive had rear glass rattle badly with radio up. Whats fun about that is people told me to turn up my radio to tune out my clunk. Uhhh well the window rattle was worse because it was inside. I had a rattle in my passenger door panel. Loose tweeter grill. The issues that RAM is experiencing leads me to believe they didn't bother driving any of the production vehicles at all. They hit job 0 and let er rip.

I think if you can wait then do. They are still changing packages. Look at those that bought rebels. Now they could have gotten the 12.1 if they waited. Ive learned my lesson after I thought I had learned it with a Cadillac I had. I really learned it this time. If its not a situation of a lease ending or just need a new truck wait for 2020. They are beautiful and the interior is great. They just need to tighten up on a few things.

I had all intentions of doing so until I saw one at the dealer and just lost consciousness. I was at home with a new truck on the drive way.

One last thing. TEST DRIVE the truck. I mean drive it. take it as far as you can. If they will BVA it to you for a day do it if you cant wait.

Ickabod

Reaction score
Sounds like a good starting point for negotiating a lower price. They will have to warranty the work anyway, might as well get a better price for the inconvenience. If you like the truck with the options and color, I would not hesitate buying it.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my truck. I do. I wish I would have listened to myself and waited. People try to minimize issues people have. I don't accept for a 2019 YM problems like the ones we have should exist. Leaks especially, Clunks and rattles, Ive had rear glass rattle badly with radio up. Whats fun about that is people told me to turn up my radio to tune out my clunk. Uhhh well the window rattle was worse because it was inside. I had a rattle in my passenger door panel. Loose tweeter grill. The issues that RAM is experiencing leads me to believe they didn't bother driving any of the production vehicles at all. They hit job 0 and let er rip.

I think if you can wait then do. They are still changing packages. Look at those that bought rebels. Now they could have gotten the 12.1 if they waited. Ive learned my lesson after I thought I had learned it with a Cadillac I had. I really learned it this time. If its not a situation of a lease ending or just need a new truck wait for 2020. They are beautiful and the interior is great. They just need to tighten up on a few things.

I had all intentions of doing so until I saw one at the dealer and just lost consciousness. I was at home with a new truck on the drive way.

One last thing. TEST DRIVE the truck. I mean drive it. take it as far as you can. If they will BVA it to you for a day do it if you cant wait.
You're not wrong, but really, go to the F150 forum and read through the issues that people are having with their trucks that are well into their 3rd, almost 4th year now. Sadly, anything mass produced on the scale/volume as a trucks will have some lemons, regardless or make or model. It's all a giant crapshoot...

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're not wrong, but really, go to the F150 forum and read through the issues that people are having with their trucks that are well into their 3rd, almost 4th year now. Sadly, anything mass produced on the scale/volume as a trucks will have some lemons, regardless or make or model. It's all a giant crapshoot...
I don't mean this in an argumentative way. Really. I just do not accept that because Ford or Chevy has issues that we should. I based my decision off of my 2013. My 2013 was and still is(because I still have it) running strong and trouble free. I mean it is a great truck. it converted me from Fords. I had a Raptor, 2 F250 Platinums, F150 Limited. I got a Laramie Longhorn and never looked back. Interior was way nicer than Ford. Not a single rattle, clunk, leak, problem and the stereo in that truck gets after it.

Ford Sucks. I don't say that because this is a Ram forum but honestly they just don't care from dealer to corporate. They pump them out and could care less. Dealers have WAY more trucks to fix than can be handled and this is from the largest to the smallest dealers. I know they have issues because I experienced them.

RAM really in terms of looks and Interior set themselves apart from the rest. the 2019 Gm trucks are joke interior to me. The fords interiors are nothing compared to the ram.

I think more my point is that if they really wanted to become number 2 or 1 they have to do Better than. They earned a lot of converts with this truck. A lot of those converts are frustrated. Now will they learn to love over time as problems get fixed? Who knows Ram had a great opportunity to really gain some traction and really win some over.

End of day I want Ram to succeed. I want Ram to become 1 or 2 because I feel they are a better option. I feel the leaks are no longer an issue, safe to say there is a fix for the clunk. The rear window I fixed that myself as well as a loose tweeter grill. I hope that will be the end of the list for me besides the few weird electrical occurrences the clunk was the worst. I fixed that I have been enjoying an extremely quiet truck. These new trucks when they are right they are beyond great. I mean I cant hear a thing in my truck its so quiet. I drove it 100 miles today and what an experience.

Guess its just a matter of if you're a person that if you have an issue can you live with it or understand things happen and not get angry and write the brand off. If you aren't then wait. If your understanding and can wrench a little yourself and wouldn't mind fixing a few odds and ends then jump on in. Because afters its all dialed in it cant be beat.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't mean this in an argumentative way. Really. I just do not accept that because Ford or Chevy has issues that we should. I based my decision off of my 2013. My 2013 was and still is(because I still have it) running strong and trouble free. I mean it is a great truck. it converted me from Fords. I had a Raptor, 2 F250 Platinums, F150 Limited. I got a Laramie Longhorn and never looked back. Interior was way nicer than Ford. Not a single rattle, clunk, leak, problem and the stereo in that truck gets after it.

Ford Sucks. I don't say that because this is a Ram forum but honestly they just don't care from dealer to corporate. They pump them out and could care less. Dealers have WAY more trucks to fix than can be handled and this is from the largest to the smallest dealers. I know they have issues because I experienced them.

RAM really in terms of looks and Interior set themselves apart from the rest. the 2019 Gm trucks are joke interior to me. The fords interiors are nothing compared to the ram.

I think more my point is that if they really wanted to become number 2 or 1 they have to do Better than. They earned a lot of converts with this truck. A lot of those converts are frustrated. Now will they learn to love over time as problems get fixed? Who knows Ram had a great opportunity to really gain some traction and really win some over.

End of day I want Ram to succeed. I want Ram to become 1 or 2 because I feel they are a better option. I feel the leaks are no longer an issue, safe to say there is a fix for the clunk. The rear window I fixed that myself as well as a loose tweeter grill. I hope that will be the end of the list for me besides the few weird electrical occurrences the clunk was the worst. I fixed that I have been enjoying an extremely quiet truck. These new trucks when they are right they are beyond great. I mean I cant hear a thing in my truck its so quiet. I drove it 100 miles today and what an experience.

Guess its just a matter of if you're a person that if you have an issue can you live with it or understand things happen and not get angry and write the brand off. If you aren't then wait. If your understanding and can wrench a little yourself and wouldn't mind fixing a few odds and ends then jump on in. Because afters its all dialed in it cant be beat.

Great post! I agree 100%. And yeah, we're all different, some people are too busy, or what's a total minor issue for one person will drive another person completely insane. I hope your truck gets completely straightened out soon.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score

well said @19 Limited

Mason1217

Reaction score
I work at the Stamping Plant that makes the 1500 body panels, and I'm wondering if moving assembly from Warren Truck to SHAP (Sterling Heights Assembly Plant) has anything to do with the common issues? I'm not sure if Warren Truck started assembling the new style, then cut assembly to move? Or if everyone was made at SHAP? Keep in mind that the workers at SHAP had never assembled Trucks, prior to this they did the Chrysler 200. Maybe early builds have the issues. No excuse for 50 to 60k trucks, just a possible explanation. I'd be curious to see build dates of people with issues vs build dates of people that haven't seen any issues? Shap started assemble in June or July I'm pretty sure.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
There are certainly issues , mostly with the earlier builds, this is exactly why Sergio was in the plant on the production line with the workers for a week day and Night. He saw build problems and said himself that these were unacceptable for the Ram. However I think as time has shown these early issues are being resolved.

Reactions: 356

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are certainly issues , mostly with the earlier builds, this is exactly why Sergio was in the plant on the production line with the workers for a week day and Night. He saw build problems and said himself that these were unacceptable for the Ram. However I think as time has shown these early issues are being resolved.
The price (some of us) are paying to be early adopters! We’ve had few issues with our new truck, but I’m empathetic towards those less fortunate than us. Here’s hoping the teething issues are resolved quickly so that we can all hit the road and enjoy our new trucks.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could you post the build date of the truck you drove? Most of the water leak issues seem to be on the early builds. If the truck sat on the lot and was not started for a week, or was parked on an angle, that could case the start-up noise. A few early builds has an issue with oil filters.

I would recommend you try another Rebel (July or later build) and see if you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread