5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seat Too Far Forward

MOOSEMCCRAY

Reaction score
I bought this 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie truck specifically because I could get the bench seat, bucket seats are uncomfortable for me and all the new trucks seem to come with only bucket seats. But now I've got it, and even all the way back, it's too close to the dash for me, my knees are right up against it.
I have the 40/20/40 bench seat.
The old standard of redrilling holes will not work.
Any ideas?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought this 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie truck specifically because I could get the bench seat, bucket seats are uncomfortable for me and all the new trucks seem to come with only bucket seats. But now I've got it, and even all the way back, it's too close to the dash for me, my knees are right up against it.
Any ideas?
I have no useful suggestions for you but now I'm curious. How tall are you? I'm 6'1" and have 2- 3 inches of adjustment that I could move my seat back if I wanted to. My knees are nowhere close to hitting anything. It sounds like you're either 7 feet tall, or there's something wrong with your seat adjustment.

djjr50

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. 6'9" here and could use extra room. If I dont position myself just right, I can touch the shifter with my knee. Was hoping someone would make brackets that can move the seat back a smidge but I am sure no one wants to touch the safety responsibilities associated with that modification.

I originally wanted the bench seat up front so I can 'splay' a little but the seats were more narrow and the truck I bough had the buckets. No regrets though.

MOOSEMCCRAY

Reaction score
I have no useful suggestions for you but now I'm curious. How tall are you? I'm 6'1" and have 2- 3 inches of adjustment that I could move my seat back if I wanted to. My knees are nowhere close to hitting anything. It sounds like you're either 7 feet tall, or there's something wrong with your seat adjustment.
I'm 6'7", and 6 foot of it is legs.

MOOSEMCCRAY

Reaction score
Looks like extendmyseat.com has a listing for everything except a Dodge Ram.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any ideas?
Have you adjusted the seat height and angle all the way down? I find that there is a lot of adjustment for seat height up/down and also the pitch to tilit the front of the seat up/down. Just thinking if you haven't played with those adjustments you may be able to make that work. I'm 6' and definitely don't have the seat back all the way but do move it down from standard position. Another feature I discovered on the laramie is the option to have the seat move to entry/exit mode when the ignition is turned off or the door unlocked - that pushes the seat down and back for easier in/out and once you're seated it adjusts to your pre-set positions.

djjr50

Reaction score
I'm 6'7", and 6 foot of it is legs.
Yeah, we are similar (I might have an inch or two on you height-wise).

Have you adjusted the seat height and angle all the way down? I find that there is a lot of adjustment for seat height up/down and also the pitch to tilit the front of the seat up/down. Just thinking if you haven't played with those adjustments you may be able to make that work. I'm 6' and definitely don't have the seat back all the way but do move it down from standard position. Another feature I discovered on the laramie is the option to have the seat move to entry/exit mode when the ignition is turned off or the door unlocked - that pushes the seat down and back for easier in/out and once you're seated it adjusts to your pre-set positions.
Believe me, when you spend most of your life trying to get every millimeter out of seating positions, you learn all of the tricks. Some are taller in the torso, which this truck accommodates for sure. The long-of-leg have to really play with the H point because the lower you are, the more your knees go up and cause your shins to be at a steeper level.

Users who are viewing this thread