5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seat Belt Buckle Felt (For Those With Center Console)

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my center console and wouldn't have my truck any other way, but...

One thing I noticed when I got my truck is that there's an adhesive felt pad on the back of the front seat belt buckles. The console sides don't taper like my last truck so it didn't take long for me to realize that it was to protect the buckle and center console when they rub together.

If there's felt on the buckle then FCA probably expects the buckle to contact the console for the average driver. That means that for guys like me with...we'll say a larger frame (6'2" and some winter insulation)...then it's going to rub for sure. And it does.

I put a lot of miles in the driver's seat (I'm at 43K in just over 2 years with this truck) and it didn't take long to realize that the OEM felt job was not going to make it the life of the truck. It has rubbed 'raw' in one spot and has bunched up to the point where it's pretty much useless.

It's these little things that gnaw at me until I do something about it. Sure I could let it go and just let it rub and mark up the buckle and console as I don't see it when I drive...but my OCD won't let that happen.

The felt is not top-notch and reminds me of the CHSML (3rd brake light) gasket - it's okay for awhile but you're going to want something better (whether it fails or you just want to replace it).

Here is where it started to rub:

Felt 1.jpg

Here's what I did:

1. I bought a peel and stick felt pad for $1.49 (+ tax) at my local arts and crafts store (Michaels):

2. I cut a 3" by 2 1/4" piece of felt and then tapered the back to fit the buckle:

Felt 2.jpg

3. I peeled off the old felt, cleaned off the back of the buckle, peeled the backing of the new felt, and stuck it on the buckle:

Felt 3.jpg

So far so good. I still have enough felt left to do this 9 more times. Not bad for less than 2 bucks.

Just wanted to share for anyone interested.

Last edited:

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good.
Disappointed you didn't go billiard table green, though. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread