5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seasick

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Being new to the site, first post: A bit of an intro: Previous car was a ‘14 GC 5.7 Overland (with the up and down button). Wife and dog loved the ride. Traded in for a ‘19 Ram Laramie 4wd end of 2018 And now they get car sick (paid 60 bucks for a couple of doggy pills that didn’t work). The truck actually feels like a more comfortable ride than the Jeep and we’re thinking maybe a bit too comfy. Bumps in the road seem to cause more “aftershock” and stops have more nose dive with the same floaty kind of rocking. The truck came packed with factory goodies and we added some more options. No air suspension or Offroad package. I haven’t looked at trading in but suspect the write off over less than 2 years is less than attractive to make it a viable option (and I like my truck).
I‘ve been reading the last week or so on this forum about all kinds of lifts and levels (I believe you guys call that “rake”) and while I like the looks of lifts and big tires, it’s not what I’m after.
I wouldn’t mind a modest 2” Mopar lift and maybe different tires (still have the factory Bridgestone Duelers on it) if It provides the cure for my wife and the dog (I’ll be happy with the added looks ) but hard to justify the expense in case the experiment fails.
What about just shocks? Would Bilstein 5100’s make the ride more firm but not extreme hard? I know there are topics about them already, but my take away is that these shocks are used for leveling. Are they a waste if one were to keep their adjustment setting at 1?
Or, do you guys thinks one of them Hellwig sway bars would reduce a side to side ”wobble” (caused by Minnesota potholes)? It would be the least expensive gamble I suppose.
thanks for reading!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You could try the sway bar , I’ve heard that it makes a big difference in the handling of the truck and if it does solve the motion sickness it would be a win win .

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being new to the site, first post: A bit of an intro: Previous car was a ‘14 GC 5.7 Overland (with the up and down button). Wife and dog loved the ride. Traded in for a ‘19 Ram Laramie 4wd end of 2018 And now they get car sick (paid 60 bucks for a couple of doggy pills that didn’t work). The truck actually feels like a more comfortable ride than the Jeep and we’re thinking maybe a bit too comfy. Bumps in the road seem to cause more “aftershock” and stops have more nose dive with the same floaty kind of rocking. The truck came packed with factory goodies and we added some more options. No air suspension or Offroad package. I haven’t looked at trading in but suspect the write off over less than 2 years is less than attractive to make it a viable option (and I like my truck).
I‘ve been reading the last week or so on this forum about all kinds of lifts and levels (I believe you guys call that “rake”) and while I like the looks of lifts and big tires, it’s not what I’m after.
I wouldn’t mind a modest 2” Mopar lift and maybe different tires (still have the factory Bridgestone Duelers on it) if It provides the cure for my wife and the dog (I’ll be happy with the added looks ) but hard to justify the expense in case the experiment fails.
What about just shocks? Would Bilstein 5100’s make the ride more firm but not extreme hard? I know there are topics about them already, but my take away is that these shocks are used for leveling. Are they a waste if one were to keep their adjustment setting at 1?
Or, do you guys thinks one of them Hellwig sway bars would reduce a side to side ”wobble” (caused by Minnesota potholes)? It would be the least expensive gamble I suppose.
thanks for reading!
My truck had a good amount of "body roll" or side to side motion before putting the hellwig on. I would suggest throwing one of those on and put it on the stiffest setting and you'll notice an immediate improvement. My truck felt more planted to the road around corners, and much less body roll.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Along with the rear sway bar, put some air in the tires. The factory psi is built for comfort and the stock Duelers are pretty squishy as it is. That being said it might make your side to side wobble more harsh but less floaty across those potholes

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try one thing at a time. I too would recommend the Hellwig bar first as it's easiest to feel the difference.

ArtieD

Reaction score
thanks for reading!
Maybe preload the stock fronts with 2" spacer and a aftermarket spring airbags , with the hellwig sway bar , Pets can be expen$$ive

U

User_21361

Try one thing at a time. I too would recommend the Hellwig bar first as it's easiest to feel the difference.
This. Too hard to experiment with too many variables. The hellwig will definitely help and you can easily adjust the settings. For shocks, the 5100s will give you more stiffness. On setting 5 (I have a rebel), I found the ride too stiff but YMMV and a lower setting would address the ride as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback. I crawled under the back of the truck earlier today and while I’m not a mechanic by any means, a sway bar swap looks and should be simple, and the cheapest option to try first. Shocks would be a dealer job.

silver billet

Reaction score
I too recommend the Hellwig, but that will only have an effect when turning; if you're going straight and hit rough spots on the road (or dips etc) and feel that floaty feeling, that's just stock/coil springs doing their thing. Apparently the air ride suspension is better. I think after the Hellwig you will still need to do further mods. But please keep us posted here if you find something that works!

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Appears the wife is not completely convinced that spending <300 on Amazon is a good idea (the diy install to be more precise).
I’ve been following up with the parts guy at my dealership about the 5100 Bilsteins. Seemed like a good start, he had received good feedback on them.
But... Back shocks backordered till end of October and she doesn’t want to wait that long. Short story long, I’m getting the 2” Mopar lift installed next week Friday. Not the most sensible thing to do, but oh well. Wheels will probably look a bit goofy, I have about 4.5” clearance between the shark fin and the garage door now, so there should be room for something a bit bigger. If all works as intended, I want a midlife crisis exhaust for my birthdat next year. If all fails, a Trackhawk :cool:. To be continued.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Well, got the truck back from the dealer over lunch time... Not sure if this is going to be the cure, but if nothing else, I’m liking the looks (even with the OEM tires). Tomorrow we’re planning to go for a ride (bucket shopping? :poop:). I’m sure it will wear off, but I have to admit that I liked the “big truck” feeling on the way home. There’s about 2-2.5” between the fin and the garage door, so there’s options for tires. And there’s more room to lay underneath the truck now to install that sway bar...

ChuckH

Reaction score
Well, got the truck back from the dealer over lunch time... Not sure if this is going to be the cure, but if nothing else, I’m liking the looks (even with the OEM tires). Tomorrow we’re planning to go for a ride (bucket shopping? :poop:). I’m sure it will wear off, but I have to admit that I liked the “big truck” feeling on the way home. There’s about 2-2.5” between the fin and the garage door, so there’s options for tires. And there’s more room to lay underneath the truck now to install that sway bar...
It sounds like you should try everything you want to do to your truck before you buy the hellwig sway bar. Get new wheels, bigger tires, improved sound system, etc. THEN replace the sway bar. There is a different sway bay for a lifted truck as opposed to one at stock height so it was good that you waited. I might suggest an under the back seat subwoofer. Many will tell you it enhances the ride quality!

DONZILLA

Reaction score
You're absolutely correct about the Big Truck feeling and look even with stock tires.
I waited till I got the Mopar setup to order the Hellwig Lifted version with the beefier links, as I read here and ChuckH reaffirmed. Roundaboutts have been a blast with the new setup so I'm sure the sway bar can do nothing but help even more. Do I need to to widen my stance to like "AGGRESSIVE" will that help too with cornering? PC in Sport+2 is so darn cool on the freeway! RAM2020lifted.jpg

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Ha! Just think about the money I saved by not buying the wrong sway bar...
It‘s kind of (pleasantly) strange, because you’re higher, it seems like you should tip over more in corners, but it’s less and the truck ”overreacts“ less over bumps and through dips - just what we were hoping for, but the test drive with the wife is put off till Monday. Will have to go easy with her on them roundabouts, they are more fun for sure.
I’m glad I found this site. Been reading about tires and learned a little bit about P vs LT and found it better to wait till after a first test drive with the misses on board.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Update: About 340 Miles yesterday without incidents. A few cloverleaves were mentioned as making her feel sick and I take some :unsure: responsibility as they are (too much) fun. I‘ll probably just order a Hellwig one of these days and install it at a strategic time. Tires then can wait until the Bridgestones are worn, 25k on them now and quite some life left (more impressed with the RAM with snow and ice than I was with the Grand Cherokee on the factory Continentals).

Users who are viewing this thread