5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sealant on rear window frame crack

Vilas15

Reaction score
I want to hear from anyone who has gone for the home remedy and tried to seal up their cracked rear window instead of sending it to the dealer for days/weeks. Did it leak again? Ive got cracks but no leaks so far so I'm debating having the dealer replace it and risking further damage when its in their hands, or just laying down some silicone and replacing the third brake light gasket while Im at it. Ive got 2 years and 22k left on the warranty.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just had mine replaced by my dealer. Took one day and they even gave me a loaner. The new window is different looking and I'm told the frame is better. Guess we will see.

R.Duff

Reaction score
Mine went to the dealer today, gets replaced in the morning. They said I'll have it back by end of day.

I had no cracks at all but small leaks. I did replace the third light gasket myself with a weather stripping but they are replacing the light to. So we'll see what happens

Vilas15

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. Considering getting it fixed before it leaks. Anyone out there to answer my original question?

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remove your brake light. Change gasket to the marine gasket. While it’s out, your choice of sealant, seal up the cracked areas. Install your brake light and use a little silicone around the brake light screws as those can leak as well. Now the cracks will just be cosmetic and won’t leak.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone out there to answer my original question?

I would like to know this as well, just in case the time comes on mine. I don't like my dealers around here or their service departments, so anything fixable without taking it to them is preferable. Has anyone done what OP is asking about in sealing the rear window without taking it to the dealer to be replaced?

BowDown

Reaction score
I want to hear from anyone who has gone for the home remedy and tried to seal up their cracked rear window instead of sending it to the dealer for days/weeks. Did it leak again? Ive got cracks but no leaks so far so I'm debating having the dealer replace it and risking further damage when its in their hands, or just laying down some silicone and replacing the third brake light gasket while Im at it. Ive got 2 years and 22k left on the warranty.

I was going to try this if sealing up my chmsl didn't fix the leak. I see no reason why a bead of silicon in that channel wouldn't seal the window if thats where the leak is coming from

vincentw56

Reaction score
Mine was leaking from the cracks and not the CHMSL. I have the new updated led one from the 2021s on my 2020. I'm not sure how a leak from a crack in the frame is tied to the CHMSL.

Vilas15

Reaction score
I would like to know this as well, just in case the time comes on mine. I don't like my dealers around here or their service departments, so anything fixable without taking it to them is preferable. Has anyone done what OP is asking about in sealing the rear window without taking it to the dealer to be replaced?
There were people with the truck at the dealer for weeks waiting on a window, seat belts not reinstalled, all this stuff in the megathread. Some people mentioned they sealed it but only one person came back to say it leaked again as far as i could tell. I ws hoping to hear from more of these people. Seems like a simple solution to not have to mess with an expensive piece. And dont get me started on the guy who had his third window crack just the same as the first.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There were people with the truck at the dealer for weeks waiting on a window, seat belts not reinstalled, all this stuff in the megathread. Some people mentioned they sealed it but only one person came back to say it leaked again as far as i could tell. I ws hoping to hear from more of these people. Seems like a simple solution to not have to mess with an expensive piece. And dont get me started on the guy who had his third window crack just the same as the first.
I posted above what to do to fix your leaks if you don’t want the window replaced. Worked for me.

Wreckm

Reaction score
Remove your brake light. Change gasket to the marine gasket. While it’s out, your choice of sealant, seal up the cracked areas. Install your brake light and use a little silicone around the brake light screws as those can leak as well. Now the cracks will just be cosmetic and won’t leak.

Do you have the part # for that marine gasket? I have the regular 3rd brake light no camera. 4 mounting holes

Bits4brains

Reaction score
This is what I used on my 3rd Brake light. Make sure to remove the old gasket first. This stuff goes on really easy. I was just careful not to bear down on tightening the screws as not to crack the lens.

Attachments

• 20210906_162747.jpg
    20210906_162747.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 41

Bits4brains

Reaction score
Remove your brake light. Change gasket to the marine gasket. While it’s out, your choice of sealant, seal up the cracked areas.
Please help me understand this suggestion. Is there another area I should have paid attention to when I had my 3rd brake light out possibly up in the roof cavity? Or are you talking specifically about the 3rd brake light itself? I too have cracks in my window frame but not sure if they are leaking or not.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if your still in the warranty range, take it in and have it fixed. keeps a paper trail if you ever have any issues later. I can understand trying to seal it up if your out of warranty but I wouldn't waist my time if my truck was still in warranty. Not all dealers are hacks. The post you mentioned from someone else doesn't mean every dealer is like that. For the price we pay for these trucks, I wouldn't even think about trying to rig my window if my truck was still under warranty.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I brought my brand new 21 BTS to the dealership because I'm getting water under may back seat. They checked it out and determined it to be the rear sliding window. The head liner is dry so it's not the roof mount antenna and i dont believe it's the 3rd brake light because when I took it off myself it was stuck on and I had to actually pry it off so I'm confident that wasnt the problem. The dealer called me the other day and said the rear window is there and I made an appointment to bring it back to them in a couple weeks because that was the earliest appointment they had, or so they told me. We'll see what happens in a couple weeks

rsnc87

Reaction score
Just had mine replaced by my dealer. Took one day and they even gave me a loaner. The new window is different looking and I'm told the frame is better. Guess we will see.
I just bought a 2019 1500 this past weekend with low miles and still under warranty. Of course, it’s rained over 10 inches in the past 24 hours and I noticed a small leak in the rear window. Ceiling is slightly damp above the sliding window. Hopefully this will be covered by the manufacturers warranty. Any one have a similar issue and able to get it fixed under warranty?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 1500 this past weekend with low miles and still under warranty. Of course, it’s rained over 10 inches in the past 24 hours and I noticed a small leak in the rear window. Ceiling is slightly damp above the sliding window. Hopefully this will be covered by the manufacturers warranty. Any one have a similar issue and able to get it fixed under warranty?
If it is still under warranty then it should be covered. I would contact your dealer and inquire about the remaining warranty. They can run the VIN and tell you for sure. In fact I would highly recommend doing that because it will depend on the production date and or original purchase date.

Users who are viewing this thread