5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scuffs - how to deal with these?

peeceejay

Reaction score
I've got a whole 1,000 miles on the truck and my wife pointed out there are some pretty nasty scuffs on the passenger side. Both to the paint, and to the plastic panel underneath.

I'm the only one who'd driven the truck, and have zero memory of touching anything or rubbing into anything - we're speculating someone brushed into me in a parking lot maybe? I feel like I'd remember if it was me, on my brand new truck :oops:

The marks on the paint look like they could be removed easily enough, but the plastic panel underneath is not going to clean up. I've never done this before - should I engage insurance? Call a body shop? Buy a specific product from Autozone and DIY it?

Attachments

• 0c19ea55-60d7-4653-9c5c-94f05a4bd369.jpg
    0c19ea55-60d7-4653-9c5c-94f05a4bd369.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 8c3b8e15-6e2e-45f9-b47a-5b8748ee1967.jpg
    8c3b8e15-6e2e-45f9-b47a-5b8748ee1967.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 237

badpewterz

Reaction score
The painted part will clean up with a mild compound. The 2 deeper marks look like paint is missing?
The plastic cant really be fixed easily. Probbly needs to be replaced

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, the skuff should come off fairly easily with compound, the plastic maybe a heat gun would help make it look better but I would probably not worry about it on the valance since it's bound to get scrapped up again.

peeceejay

Reaction score
The painted part will clean up with a mild compound. The 2 deeper marks look like paint is missing?
The plastic cant really be fixed easily. Probbly needs to be replaced

I'd have to go check, but they all felt like surface scuffs to the touch (ie: like there was something ON the paint)

What compound should I be looking for?

badpewterz

Reaction score
I'd have to go check, but they all felt like surface scuffs to the touch (ie: like there was something ON the paint)

What compound should I be looking for?
assuming by hand?
store bought vs online?

meguairs scratch x 2.0 works well and is inexpensive.
amazon id got with 3d ONE it it will be as aggressive as the pad you use
ironically magic erasers work very well for these BUT!!!!!! would need to be machine polished afterwards( magic erasers work like 5000 grit wet sanding)
are you close to RI? ( saw the mass plate) im in north providence and have everything on hand as i detail on the weekends if you get stuck or not comfortable with it

peeceejay

Reaction score
I can order online or head to Autozone - I'll do some googling for those brands.

I'm in Central MA - will holler i I get stuck :)

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
Please, please DO NOT use a Magic Eraser! That is a huge no no on paint! Any good detailer (someone who actually know how to detail) will tell you this. The scuffs that are lighter in nature will clean up ok with a mild compound and a buffer. The ones that look like the paint is missing, those will need to be repainted. The black textured piece with scuffs will need to be replaced if you are real picky. If not, try some plasti-dip type spray. Spray lightly, to fill in the rough spots. This will take some time, as it won't look perfect but it can be done to be less noticeable.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original, Cleaning Pads with Durafoam, 2 count
2 count
117453.png
Click to zoom

• Ingredients & Contents
  • Healthy, Safety & Environment
  • Usage & Handling
  • Features & Benefits
  • Company, Brand & Sustainability

Human Health
Test a small area with light pressure before use. Not recommended for the following surfaces: high gloss, polished, dark, brushed, satin, faux, bare/polished wood, copper, stainless steel, non-stick coating, or vehicle body. Rinse required for surfaces in direct contact with food. Do not use with chlorine bleach or other household cleaners. DO NOT USE ON SKIN OR OTHER PARTS OF THE BODY. USING ON SKIN WILL LIKELY CAUSE ABRASIONS. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF TODDLERS AND PETS TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL INGESTION.

Information last updated on 2020-04-22 by Mr Clean

Last edited:

badpewterz

Reaction score
Please, please DO NOT use a Magic Eraser! That is a huge no no on paint! Any good detailer (someone who actually know how to detail) will tell you this. The scuffs that are lighter in nature will clean up ok with a mild compound and a buffer. The ones that look like the paint is missing, those will need to be repainted. The black textured piece with scuffs will need to be replaced if you are real picky. If not, try some plasti-dip type spray. Spray lightly, to fill in the rough spots. This will take some time, as it won't look perfect but it can be done to be less noticeable.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original, Cleaning Pads with Durafoam, 2 count
2 count
117453.png
Click to zoom

• Ingredients & Contents
  • Healthy, Safety & Environment
  • Usage & Handling
  • Features & Benefits
  • Company, Brand & Sustainability

Human Health
Test a small area with light pressure before use. Not recommended for the following surfaces: high gloss, polished, dark, brushed, satin, faux, bare/polished wood, copper, stainless steel, non-stick coating, or vehicle body. Rinse required for surfaces in direct contact with food. Do not use with chlorine bleach or other household cleaners. DO NOT USE ON SKIN OR OTHER PARTS OF THE BODY. USING ON SKIN WILL LIKELY CAUSE ABRASIONS. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF TODDLERS AND PETS TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL INGESTION.

Information last updated on 2020-04-22 by Mr Clean
Hence why I made the note about being the same as wet sanding ;)
Most don't need to go that far. Also why you'd would have to machine polish afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread