5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector for 8.4” screen: worth it?

jastevenson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I left the factory screen protector on my 8.4” screen. Touch response is pretty good, but I suspect it is slightly diminished by the screen protector.

I am thinking about taking it off. Has anyone had issues with scratches after taking it off?

Ramjack

Reaction score
I installed a Mopar 8.4" screen protector, just to be safe. Works great. They are a little pricey, even discounted. But they do include two of them which is great, because I messed up the first one, because I'm stupid.

Last edited:

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve tried two different versions, a plastic one and a glass one. While the latter is better, I wouldn’t do it again. So my vote is, Not Worth It.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I’ve tried two different versions, a plastic one and a glass one. While the latter is better, I wouldn’t do it again. So my vote is, Not Worth It.
Why not? What was the issue?

Seabass4592

Reaction score
I have a glass one. Works great, don’t even know it’s on. Which is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger482

Reaction score
I installed an aftermarket glass protector, can't remember the brand, but it works great. No issues with glare or responsiveness. Worth it for the protection in my opinion.

Quint

Reaction score
This is an honest question - what is the screen protector protecting from? Are people scratching their 8.4 screens somehow?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but isn’t the factory screen film just there for shipping/pre-sales purposes?

I never put a protector on my 2019 12” screen, but I ordered a glass protector for my 2021 to be on the safe side. They’ve saved my bacon on my phone a few times. Then again, I don’t tend to drop my truck like I do my phone.

Ramjack

Reaction score
This is an honest question - what is the screen protector protecting from? Are people scratching their 8.4 screens somehow?
No, but it's simple and cheap prevention. If you scratch a screen on your phone, you'll replace it (eventually). If you scratch a screen on your truck, you're not going to replace it. It would suck driving around with a scratch on the screen for the life of the truck. I cannot think of a reason why it should get scratched but again, cheap and easy protection with no downside.

Here's another one: Why do we need umbrella covers?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a screen protector for my 12.1" display. That thing is big enough that I could drop something onto it. I never had a screen protector on any of the 8.4" screens I've had though.

The umbrella on my golf bag has a cover. It tries to open a bit on it's own if the cover isn't on it.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put this on shortly after buying mine and it's been great:

Usually the glass screen protector companies come and go in short order but that is the same one I bought 2 years ago so it can't be all bad.

My dad got one also for his 12" and is very happy with it.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I say it is worth it as it can get scratched. This is the one I put on my screen and so far it does not affect the touch sensitivity and most times I forget I have it.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have one. Forget it's there. No issues with it at all.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the matte finish screen protector to remove the reflection and minimize finger prints. High gloss trim and screen is very reflective, so the matte finish looks awesome and the touch sensitivity is not impacted at all.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Q
Why not? What was the issue?
the matte one was too obvious. The glass one is ok, but if it cracks, it could scratch the plastic screen underneath, so protection is minimal.

And I just don’t see much risk of the screen getting scratched.

Low risk, low benefit = low value. But YMMV...

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The matte finish is obvious in the beginning because you're used to looking at the glossy reflection of the screen. The matte finish looks like every other touch screen in cars or computer laptop screens. I love the ant glare and the fact that's it resists finger prints.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
sorry...I put these screen protectors in the "something I don't need or want" category. The way I see it, if I'm so spastic that things fly out of my hand and bounce off the screen...then I have no business driving in the first place.. :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread