5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen brightness

Dallas Aggie

Reaction score
The 12 inch screen is too bright for me at night. I have gone to settings to adjust and it is defaulted to auto. If I change to manual there are two separate adjustments, one that is for daytime and the other for when headlights are on.

The one for when headlights is on is grayed out and cannot be adjusted. Anyone else have the same issue?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 12 inch screen is too bright for me at night. I have gone to settings to adjust and it is defaulted to auto. If I change to manual there are two separate adjustments, one that is for daytime and the other for when headlights are on.

The one for when headlights is on is grayed out and cannot be adjusted. Anyone else have the same issue?
Play around with the adjustment wheel on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I leave my Uconnect setting in Auto, then I adjust the wheel on the right ( there are two, the one on the left is for ambient lighting adjustment) to just below full up. You should feel a detent just before full up. So, it is bright during daylight and gray to dark at night. Sometimes the nighttime mode comes on too early at dusk and you have to push the wheel all the way up into full bright. It is not perfect, but okay.

B-Rebel

Reaction score
I had this same issue. I can’t remember exactly what I did to solve, but I will have to take a look at it after work. I believe that I turned it back to auto and off again. That or I had to adjust the one setting it would allow me to (day or night brightness). After messing around with it a bit it was no longer gray and allowed me to adjust it on the Uconnect. I hope this helps

jmerola001

Reaction score
Try manually switching your headlights on and off to adjust the uconnect display brightness settings alternately. I was only able to adjust the "daytime" portion when the headlights were off.....and adjust the "headlight on" portion when the headlights were on. Truck headlights on - daytime uconnect setting was grayed out. Truck headlights off - headlight on uconnect setting was grayed out.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While we're on the topic of screen brightness - does anyone else with the 8.4" Screen have an issue where, at night, when you park and shut off the ignition, the screen goes to blindingly full brightness until you open the door?

klail

Reaction score
Play around with the adjustment wheel on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I leave my Uconnect setting in Auto, then I adjust the wheel on the right ( there are two, the one on the left is for ambient lighting adjustment) to just below full up. You should feel a detent just before full up. So, it is bright during daylight and gray to dark at night. Sometimes the nighttime mode comes on too early at dusk and you have to push the wheel all the way up into full bright. It is not perfect, but okay.
This is great advice and I was able to find my sweet spot using this method. When my screen was in its daytime setting when it was dark, I would VERY minutely spin that dial until it shut off and I really haven't had any brightness issues since. The other thing I did was take it off of Auto in the settings and move it to 2 or 3 or something on the lower screen. This had less of an effect but again, I have found a sweet spot and I don't dare touch anything.

SacRebel

Reaction score
I’ve wondered the same thing. Gonna try some of these suggestions the next time I’m in the truck.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While we're on the topic of screen brightness - does anyone else with the 8.4" Screen have an issue where, at night, when you park and shut off the ignition, the screen goes to blindingly full brightness until you open the door?

The 12" does this too, not sure why it doesn't hold the setting

southall

Reaction score
To me this is a worthless "fix",. Doing this turns the whole instrument cluster dimmer as well as the 12" screen. It also makes all of the little LED's around the 12" screen dimmer also. This cant be right. When the 12" screen in Navigation is set to "Auto" it should dim the screen at night period, and nothing else. This is a real defect in the system and it cant be the norm.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had a few nav systems through the years that had a "night" mode once your headlights came on, i wonder why this system doesn't offer that??

Mudstone

Reaction score
This was odd?
Daytime driving, wipers set to intermittent. Instrument lights on, then after about 1 minute, all lights and 12" panel turns off. I turn wipers off, lights come back on, back to intermitent and after a minute, all lights off, can't see spedometer etc....
Does this sound right?
Any input is apprecioated, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread