5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screeching wind noise at 70mph? Anyone else?

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Any speed over 68mph or so (with the sound system off) I can hear a constant screeching wind noise. It is not the common sound associated with wind noise, as I can live with that. Sounds like it is coming from under the hood or undercarriage in front of the first row of seats. It sounds like needles on glass 1,000 times over lol
If I don’t use the radio, I start to get a headache. Regular wind noise does not bother me, but this is a sound I cannot get used to. Biggest issue I have with this is that on road trips when people in the cabin are sleeping, I would go insane having to hear that noise for an hour+. Has anyone else experienced this same issue?
It is easy to forget about with music off, but I can hear it anytime if I listen in. Almost like that mosquito ringtone from years ago.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am trying lend some help since you have not received a reply yet. There are a lot of wind noise threads on the forum, complete with members posting their videos or other youtube videos where you can hear the offending sound. Have you searched the forums to see if someone has experienced the same wind noise? If you have and could not find anything similar, post a video or audio clip I am sure you will get good feedback. I can imagine how frustrating this can be after watching some videos of Rams with ear piercing sounds. at higher speeds. Hope you can get this worked out!

69Sting

Reaction score
I have noticed when going against a strong head wind or angled head wind, I get a low hum screeching almost as if a bearing was going out sound. Best I can figure is the lower spoiler is down and the wind is causing it to flex. Due to the flex wind gets between the two spoilers and creates this noise. It is annoying and days like this or when we get a heavy snowfall, it would be nice to be able to manually raise the lower spoiler or stop it from activating and going down.
Not sure if this is the sound you get but thought I would share if it helps.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not so far, I've hit 83 mph a few times on the freeway just trying to keep up with traffic, didn't notice any unusually loud wind noise.

BLB

Reaction score
Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how they are going to fix it, but it is the cross wind getting between the door weather-stripping. I took mine in to the dealer today and have a appt set up for next week. Only reason I say that is the cause is I pushed on the top of the door after I stopped recording, and got straight wind noise. When I stopped it started again. My speed ranged from 65-80 mph and had a crazy cross wind and head wind last night.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not at all saying this will work, but on previous vehicles, if I’ve had a door seal sound problem, I have lowered the window and pulled the window frame inwards...flexing the window frame towards the cab of the truck. This has always given me a better seal when the door is closed again and every time I’ve done this, wind noise is reduced. I have not had a need to do this on my Ram, but may work without heading to the dealer.

derp

Reaction score
Not at all saying this will work, but on previous vehicles, if I’ve had a door seal sound problem, I have lowered the window and pulled the window frame inwards...flexing the window frame towards the cab of the truck. This has always given me a better seal when the door is closed again and every time I’ve done this, wind noise is reduced. I have not had a need to do this on my Ram, but may work without heading to the dealer.

I've done the same on many beaters, but F that noise on a brand new truck. every time I dad that on the beaters the door alignment was ugly after.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Had the issue coming from right side of dash. My lemon replacement truck should be in my hands in a week or two.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't gotten that wind noise thankfully. Only noise I get is if I open the drivers side window I hear a slight wistle on the mirror.

maddog49

Reaction score
Yes with a strong crosswind or heavy wind in general. Otherwise only above 80mph (briefly here and there).

Zeeya

Reaction score
Is this what you are hearing?
I’m getting this as well. Did what you did and recorded it. My service manager seems to think it is where the sealant is on windshield in lower corner and doesn’t come to edge of glass. It leaves a area that the wind cuts through and makes this noise. I’m bringing in and they are going to the glass shop to seal lower edge and see what it does. He has had one other truck that came in with same issue. He said I could put tape on it to seal area till appointment. I don’t want to deal w adhesive so I’m just waiting till they fix it. 80 or above or as mentioned strong head winds

Users who are viewing this thread