5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SCRATCHED PLASTIC

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know how to remove or touch up a scratch in a plastic glovebox? I had an incident and have a small scratch in my glovebox that’s driving me nuts. Any ideas appreciated.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Which glove box? The upper or lower and where is the scratch at in the glove box? If it is on the inside why worry if you close the door you can’t see it.

otherwise you could try and use fine grit sandpaper and sand/smooth it out or replace it the scratched part.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which glove box? The upper or lower and where is the scratch at in the glove box? If it is on the inside why worry if you close the door you can’t see it.

otherwise you could try and use fine grit sandpaper and sand/smooth it out or replace it the scratched part.
The lower plastic glove box. It’s in the outside. Its down low but drives me crazy.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A pic would help
Sorry about that but it was overcast and crappy so I couldn’t get a good picture. It’s fairly low on the box so I’ll probably try a plastic care product to see if it makes it look any better.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Ok but the lower is easy to replace and I doubt is that expensive as I doubt you will get the scratch out to suit you.

good luck

Mr.G

Reaction score
You could buy a replacement for around $175. Perfect way to stop your crazy. I'm the same way, I have a scratch on that door and just waiting to replace it

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have scratches down there...apparently not enough foot room to get out if anything down there on the floor. Kind of makes me crazy so I try not to look.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok but the lower is easy to replace and I doubt is that expensive as I doubt you will get the scratch out to suit you.

good luck
I’m going to get a price on it today. I agree with you that it’s an easy swap so it’s probably better to replace it. Thanks

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m going to get a price on it today. I agree with you that it’s an easy swap so it’s probably better to replace it. Thanks
If you want to give it a shot before you jump for a replacement, sometimes you can use a heat gun on low - keep it moving - and warm it just enough to burnish the edge of the scratch with something smooth like a bondo spreader or similar. I've used this technique a few times - sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Depended on the pattern in the plastic, the color, the nature of the scratch, etc, - but if you are going to replace it anyway you've got nothing to lose.

Reactions: MJP

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/