5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratch removal?

dano257

Reaction score
I picked up a scratch behind the rear passenger door. It's down to the metal and about an inch long. Any ideas on how to make it look better??
truck.jpg

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
If it is down to metal, you could try a paint pen matched to your factory color if you just want to cover it up. Find your paint code and go to a RAM dealer parts department, Napa or some other car part store. Those touch up pens never look perfect, even from a dealer, but it would cover the metal up. The best option is to have a body shop fix it but it’s going to cost significantly more. Either way i would personally do something to cover the metal, but that’s because i live in the rust belt.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I picked up a scratch behind the rear passenger door. It's down to the metal and about an inch long. Any ideas on how to make it look better??
View attachment 50339
This video is fantastic. I have a Hybrid in Red in my garage, car wash did a real down to metal. I'm going to try the pen that came with the car and they wipe it wilt nail polish remover.
I don't have the time to do this yet. I hope it helps.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of those scratches look to be superficial and just into the clear coat. If you want to try DIY for those scratches, get a DA polisher and some abrasive polish like meguiars m105, 205. As for the scratch down to the metal, get the color match kit from your local RAM dealer. I think they also have a clear coat tube to put over the paint when it dries and you level your paint with a rotary or DA polisher. You could even try wet sanding that bigger gash down after you apply the paint in layers. It may not look like a professional result under a microscope, but to the naked eye it should be fine.

dano257

Reaction score
This video is fantastic. I have a Hybrid in Red in my garage, car wash did a real down to metal. I'm going to try the pen that came with the car and they wipe it wilt nail polish remover.
I don't have the time to do this yet. I hope it helps.
Thanks! Going to give this a try!

dano257

Reaction score
Used the Meguiars scratch removal and they all came out. Can't really tell unless you get real close. Thanks for so the suggestions.

Attachments

• 20200405_130441.jpg
    20200405_130441.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 32

Users who are viewing this thread