5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratch removal help

theblakester

Reaction score
Was at the grocery store last not and came out to a pretty solid scratch on my truck. Looking for suggestions on the best way to minimize how noticeable it is. I’ve never used the scratch removers from Amazon. I know some car washes can try to buff them out.
I don’t want to apply some kind of scratch removing pen and then it wind up looking horrible or worse.
So my question is what works best to remove scratches??

Attachments

• 95FE3BF4-B992-44E5-9970-413BF9CD6F01.jpeg
    95FE3BF4-B992-44E5-9970-413BF9CD6F01.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 108

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Before you do anything, run it by the best body shop around and see what they say. If they want to respray the whole truck, thank them for their time and try another.

When I worked at a Toyota dealer, the body shop had a guy who was a master with an airbrush. He could disappear a gouge like that no problem.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks like a pretty deep scratch. Likely going to require a professional's attention to repair. It is hard to tell, but the scratches that carry over to the tail light may come out with a little effort. If you don't feel like dishing out the cash to have it professionally addressed, you may be able to minimize how bad it looks with something like a glaze. This would only be a light cover up and wouldn't give you permanent results. And once again, with a scratch like that, it may not make much of a difference at all. I'd recommend what Richard320 suggested and take it to a shop before you do anything.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Try Dr. Colorchip, best paint match for Ram. I used it on the front of my Granite Crystal before putting PPF on and it was like it never happened.

watch some YouTube videos on how to use it, there is a little bit of a technique to doing it.

And bad wishes to the person who did that! There is some slime out in this world who have no respect for other peoples’ things.

theblakester

Reaction score
I’m really looking for a lesser expensive option that will make it as less noticeable as possible. As annoying as it is, it’s a truck, I live in the city, it’s gonna happen.

I’m pretty sure it was a lady walking to her car while I was pulling into the parking spot. When I got out and walked by her as she was opening her car door to put up her child and groceries I smiled and waved, but she ignored me.. and I got a bit of a weird gut vibe as I walked away. Either way, someone raked their grocery cart against the *** end of the side of my truck pretty good. 🤨😡

badpewterz

Reaction score
is it a scratch and how deep? hard to tell but its on the bumper too. if and a big IF its mostly transfer it will buff out pretty easily and quickly. if its deep then body shop or dr color chip. no buffing/polishing/glaze can add paint back in..
for refference below before and after.
20210816_142623.jpg 20210816_152955.jpg

river rat

Reaction score
If you can "feel" it with your finger nail, there's not much you can do about it, other than have a professional fix it.

theblakester

Reaction score
Nah it’s deep. I could feel the little broken up paint chips with my finger. It definitely took the paint of where that main scratch is. I think the scratch on the tail light might come off. And I’m not sure about the scratches on the bumper. I’ll have to get a better look at them later

Users who are viewing this thread