5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratch in film between dual pane driver window?

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
All, this will probably the most petty of all petty topics, but I need your help...

I was going to take my truck to get the windows tinted today, but then noticed this scratch in the film between the two panes on my driver's side window. I've attached pictures.

Yes, it is a really small scratch, but I can't help but think that the tint is only going to bring it out more. And yes, my wife and I have inspected it very closely from both sides, and it is evident that it is in between both window panes.

Thoughts? FCA should cover this with no problems, given that it's inside the glass itself, ergo, they can't blame it on me, right?

Anyone have a similar issue?

Attachments

• 20200829_084534.jpg
    20200829_084534.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200829_084537.jpg
    20200829_084537.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 98

STR

Reaction score
What makes you think tinting will bring it out more? It might conceal it more. If it’s a “really small scratch”, then I would probably just live with it. Obviously a windshield can be easily replaced, but not sure it’s worth any possible aggravation with breaking the seal, or any other related issues. Maybe bring it to their attention and have it documented. Nonetheless, it’s your truck, and it should be covered under warranty...

FWIW, I too have a small imperfection sandwich between the glass on the passenger side front window, but I forgot about it until now. I’m not losing any sleep over it unless it get worse, which I don’t anticipate.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
What makes you think tinting will bring it out more? It might conceal it more. If it’s a “really small scratch”, then I would probably just live with it. Obviously a windshield can be easily replaced, but not sure it’s worth any possible aggravation with breaking the seal, or any other related issues. Maybe bring it to their attention and have it documented. Nonetheless, it’s your truck, and it should be covered under warranty...

FWIW, I too have a small imperfection sandwich between the glass on the passenger side front window, but I forgot about it until now. I’m not losing any sleep over it unless it get worse, which I don’t anticipate.
I'm thing that a darker window will make the light scratch more evident (when looking at it from the outside).

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm struggling to see the "scratch" - is it the white dot near the top of the photo? If so, seems really minuscule. Is it worth having the window replaced over? Could easily invite new troubles during installation by a careless tech scratching or breaking something else. Also, if you think window tint goes on in a clean room, you're in for a rude surprise. You will absolutely have dust behind the tint after it has dried. Will you notice it? Maybe, maybe not. People usually only notice something major like a strand of hair, but dust can cause micro bubbles in tint and be an eyesore too, and it's almost unavoidable... luck of the draw really. If it were me, I would probably leave it alone if it truly is the size of a pen-tip and at the top of the glass where you aren't looking anyway.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Windows were already tinted when I bought it used. Mildly annoyed they didn’t remove some stickers from the drivers window and simply went over them. Didn’t realize the truck has double pain windows though.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They made the change to laminated side windows a few years ago. The back window is still tempered glass though.

Users who are viewing this thread