5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scheduled maintenance: dealer says TSBs only on request

zignice

Reaction score
Had my 12 month service today. This forum was very helpful in providing all the technical service bulletins. And it’s a good thing. Service advisor said it was a good thing I listed the TSBs to be done since they will only do updates upon request. I found this rather strange. This is the first automobile I’ve owned where they don’t check for all updates during scheduled maintenance.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
Not all vehicles are affected by all TSB's. If the customer doesn't complain they aren't going to fish around for issues. FCA would get pissed if every dealer did every TSB on every vehicle, that would cost them a lot. Some people just don't complain or realize there's a problem. I took a printed out list of requested TSB's with a description of each symptom I was experiencing to my dealer. My dealer said that was perfect. They were actually impressed and did everything that needed doing because I came prepared. The service writer even stapled my paper to the RO for the tech.

zignice

Reaction score
Well IMHO, but just because I may not realize there is a issue does not mean that it doesn’t exist. My wife drves a Mercedes and at each service they check for all updates and recalls. Not everyone is an enthusiast like those of us on this forum.

67 RT

Reaction score
Not all vehicles are affected by all TSB's. If the customer doesn't complain they aren't going to fish around for issues. FCA would get pissed if every dealer did every TSB on every vehicle, that would cost them a lot. Some people just don't complain or realize there's a problem. I took a printed out list of requested TSB's with a description of each symptom I was experiencing to my dealer. My dealer said that was perfect. They were actually impressed and did everything that needed doing because I came prepared. The service writer even stapled my paper to the RO for the tech.

This. My dealer is the same as well. The advisors have no idea about the TSBs. I always have to tell them and hand over the numbers. Never experienced an issue with them completing the TSB, just the search. I’m getting the squealing brakes fixed this AM. Those that aren’t “enthusiasts” might just want to stick to Mercedes....

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think there's a bit of luck when requesting TSB's be performed. Like I mentioned before, your VIN, trim and build date have to all match or the tech is told to not investigate because the TSB does not apply according to the system. It's designed to save FCA money and at the same time weed out potential issues a few trucks at a time.

The flaw in this is that owners with all the symptoms will be told all is good even though they know they have an issue and unless forced, the dealer will not touch it until the TSB is revised to include your trucks info.

Good and bad... mostly a flawed system. Techs need to be hands on, as many have said here.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Recalls will be done-TSB's are not recalls.
Correct, but when an owner gives a TSB number to their advisor and there are symptoms present in relation to that TSB, regardless of VIN or build date, the complaint should be investigated beyond the inevitable "road test of perfection" is performed or even worse, the TSB is ignored because the truck doesn't meet one of the qualifications of that TSB.
It's a flawed system.

clotagames

Reaction score
Correct, but when an owner gives a TSB number to their advisor and there are symptoms present in relation to that TSB, regardless of VIN or build date, the complaint should be investigated beyond the inevitable "road test of perfection" is performed or even worse, the TSB is ignored because the truck doesn't meet one of the qualifications of that TSB.
It's a flawed system.
I think you need a new dealer.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What TSB's did you request? The AC performance 24-001-19 is definitely one for my Rebel built 07-08-18. Not sure of others that apply. Poor fuel economy TSB is only for etorque vehicles? Mine is non etorque Hemi. Appreciate any info and TSB numbers you think are important.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you need a new dealer.
That would be the easy answer/solution. My dealer is a 10 minute drive away. Yes, I have had to pressure the shop at times to look deeper into problems, but if you were to do a National poll of how many new car buyers are happy with their dealers shop... there would be an overwhelming result of "not happy".

In my case, I'm playing the "devil I know vs the devil I don't" game for now. I would be starting a new relationship with a dealer an hour away... convenience vs effort... I'm willing to get a bit heated if it saves me time in the long run.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Hey, I just got my truck and was looking online for a list of TSBs... can someone point me in the right direction? It seems NHTSA changed their web site and made it impossible to look for TSBs.

Thanks in advance!

-John

LNDRCKT

Reaction score
TSB’s are only there to make finding a fix easier. As for warranty work, a dealership cannot add any warranty work not brought up by the client. If a dealership was caught ”up selling” warranty work, that would not go over very well with the manufacturer.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
TSB’s are only there to make finding a fix easier. As for warranty work, a dealership cannot add any warranty work not brought up by the client. If a dealership was caught ”up selling” warranty work, that would not go over very well with the manufacturer.

Nor would it go over well with the techs, if what I've been told is correct. Namely that techs don't make the same amount of money on warranty work as they do on non-warranty stuff.

-John

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
What TSB's did you request? The AC performance 24-001-19 is definitely one for my Rebel built 07-08-18. Not sure of others that apply. Poor fuel economy TSB is only for etorque vehicles? Mine is non etorque Hemi. Appreciate any info and TSB numbers you think are important.
ADJUSTABLE BRAKE PEDAL RECALL - V07/NHTSA 19V-067
GROUND CABLE RECALL - V04/NHTSA 19V-020
TSB # 08-123-18 FLASH: AMPLIFIER ENHANCEMENT; VOLUME VERY LOW FOR 19 SPEAKER SYSTEM
TSB # 21-050-18 FLASH: TCM; VEHICLE DOWNSHIFTS VERY ROUGH AT TIMES AND GAS MILAGE IS VERY POOR AVG MILAGE 13MPG AND I DON’T DRIVE AGGRESSIVELY.
THE TCM TSB REQUIRES 2 ADDITIONAL TSB’S THEY ARE:
TSB # 08-139-18 REV. A: FLASH HCP
TSB # 18-077-18 REV. A: FLASH PCM

The AC TSB didn't apply to my Limited truck built 8/18

Treek

Reaction score
ADJUSTABLE BRAKE PEDAL RECALL - V07/NHTSA 19V-067
GROUND CABLE RECALL - V04/NHTSA 19V-020
TSB # 08-123-18 FLASH: AMPLIFIER ENHANCEMENT; VOLUME VERY LOW FOR 19 SPEAKER SYSTEM
TSB # 21-050-18 FLASH: TCM; VEHICLE DOWNSHIFTS VERY ROUGH AT TIMES AND GAS MILAGE IS VERY POOR AVG MILAGE 13MPG AND I DON’T DRIVE AGGRESSIVELY.
THE TCM TSB REQUIRES 2 ADDITIONAL TSB’S THEY ARE:
TSB # 08-139-18 REV. A: FLASH HCP
TSB # 18-077-18 REV. A: FLASH PCM

The AC TSB didn't apply to my Limited truck built 8/18
Dropped mine off tonite for recalls and A/C, brakes, radio SW TSB updates and they found 4 other TCM updates for me as well. The rough downshift drives me nuts when I should be coasting on foot lift but I still get 21 mpg on mostly hwy driving.

Users who are viewing this thread