5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Save money on new Ram vehicle.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
How to get the best pricing on a new Ram. In this article I will explain how I was able to get the best deal possible on a new 2022 Ram 1500 with all the dealers over pricing these past few years. I was looking for a vehicle to replace my 2002 Saturn Sc2 with automatic transmission that I had for 19 years which finally gave out, although I did purchase a replacement, a 1997 Saturn Sc2 with manual transmission, doing a 5th gear swap that yields over 40 mpg highway for $1400 3 yrs. before the pandemic. It was sitting in a garage for 10 years because the husband passed away; this car was in great condition with leather which I hate, but doing the preventive maintenance with the car only having 73,000 miles, its awesome. I love Saturn cars as a daily driver, and Saturn is my favorite car of all time. I also have a 1997, a 1998 eclipse as well with 3 motorcycles which I rarely ride with all the drunk drivers and texting, I like the cars from the 90's.

I wanted a replacement for my 2002 Saturn I junked in case something happens to my 97 Saturn in which insurance won't give anything even though it is in great like new condition. I like finding cars for good deals and I keep them till they die. As an automotive, diesel, and aircraft technician, I do all my own maintenance and when I was younger I use to catch the bus in Detroit to work and school so I worked hard and focused on school first so I would be able to get my dream cars in the future. I don't really like new cars but used to work on Rams years ago while in automotive, I really liked Dodge vehicles, but hated the rust factor. I just never believed in that much money going towards a vehicle, because I like having fun, swimming, basketball, boxing, ect... now in my early 40's mid-life crisis, I decided treat myself to my first and last new vehicle purchase.

For about a year and a half, I did a lot of research, watched a lot of videos about how car salesman sell and scam the customer, I visited over 15 dealerships and some twice within the Chicago land area. With the shortage and over msrp, I was determined to beat the system, I know that everything is made cheap nowadays like appliances (washers, drier's fridges... ect.) that are garbage. I like older stuff. I wanted 2018 pricing, vehicles never use to cost this much, I'm a car person and have been since a kid so I know the pricing and today's pricing is a scam for people not knowing and doing research.

I wanted a truck, so Ram was my option having worked and driven all the other manufactures in the field, gas was a concern for me and V6 was what I wanted because I don't want to deal with the Hemi tick, exhaust studs breaking off, and using 89 or 93 octane. Secondly, I wasn't paying msrp or over msrp, third I wanted rebates, dealer or manufacture, I wanted invoice pricing with little or no interest with financing. I wanted my truck factory built as I noticed most vehicles at most dealers had scratches on them. Factory ordering yields the best pricing by allowing you to build the truck the way you want it without the dealer adding the options to yield the best profit for them.

The truck I wanted was a Ram 1500 Bighorn, I hate leather, and I don't understand all the unnecessary technology, fender flares, chrome, ect for $10-15,000 over, just doesn't add up, I just like to drive and listen to the engine when I drive and enjoy the driving experience like Jay Leno, keep all that extra stuff!!

First I calculated and built my own vehicle on NADA website for invoice pricing and then called every dealer asking if they offered invoice pricing to earn my business which most did not, I wrote down their names, called on different days, achieved emails with pricing as a bargaining tool. I would go to dealers and play stupid, let them talk, play excited, have them bring out their manager and wait 45 min only to have them bring out a price for a factory order, I was not in a rush because I still had my two Saturn's, I had time for this experiment, and learned how salesmen operate, very few are honest and can't be trusted. I received most otd pricing around $62,000- $68,000 not including tax, no way!! I almost started looking for another Saturn! I wanted the night edition which one dealer could offer at invoice pricing but fell through on the Saturday morning as the manufacture allocation was put on hold for the night edition with no time frame available.

Plan B, it took time to decide whether I wanted a 5 or a 6 seat-er, I'm used to old school trucks with the bench seat but I decided to go with 5 seats. Because the night edition was put on hold I changed my mind to the Sport edition not really advertised which was offered in 2021, this was avialable and one dealer went beyond to earn my business at invoice pricing.

Here is the truck build…
Big Horn V6 e-torque
Crystal metallic
Sport appearance package
Protection Group
Bed utility group
Big horn level 2 equipment group
Wheel to wheel side steps
33 gallon fuel tank
Chrome clad wheels added

My otd price came to $59,000, including tax, because my vehicle arrived on Memorial day weekend, I qualified for $4750 in rebates and Chrysler approved me for 0% for 5 years, but I had my credit union ready, just in case. With $25,000 down, my monthly payment is $492 for 5 years. It's ridiculous how car payments can cost $1200 over 7 yrs. And interest over time it's worse. With prices, fuel, groceries rising, you have to think differently from the average person and budget wisely. Here is my truck that I ordered on 4/14/22 delivered the May, memorial day weekend. By the way I declined all warranties and offers from the finance guy because I do my own work and I am ASE certified, he was not happy, he even tried to scam me by adding $2500 into my price, I had my book and math figures ready and told him his numbers are incorrect, he had no choice but to fix them. It was not easy getting to this point but the $10-$15,000 I could have paid, it was definitely worth it.
20220319_093934.jpg 20220604_091914.jpg 20220616_162109.jpg 20220604_092246.jpg 20230104_042052.png 20230104_042052.png 20220613_091817.jpg

20220613_091646.jpg 20220605_204107.jpg 20220605_203609.jpg

Attachments

• 20220528_134449.jpg
    20220528_134449.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 14

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
My invoice/ build sheet. After rebate total otd price was $54,532 including tax. 20230110_193011.jpg 20230110_193209.jpg ... 20230110_220441.jpg

RedFred

Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck. I'm not sure I learned anything as far as how to get the best price on a truck though. And your deal, are you saying you ordered a truck at invoice and qualified for $4750 in rebates at the time of delivery? It's a fair deal, but I wouldn't say it's the best deal possible.

Also, I am not a fan of Saturns.

Last point, you are in your early 40's? You say this is your first and last new car purchase? I would think it's a little too early in life to commit to never buying a new car again. You never know what life has in store for you.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy the new truck.

Runagun

Reaction score
Little joe,. I applaud the write up. Didn't read it tho. If you would have read the forums you would have known the best places to buy you truck $10k+ off. Either way. Glad you're happy. Just saw you're from Chicago. 🤙

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
So long story short, you paid $49.5K for a truck with an MSRP of $57K (13% discount from MSRP). That's in the range of the historical Ram pricing. You probably could have saved yourself a lot of time and effort by referencing this forums "price negotiated from MSRP" thread.

If I was going to tell someone how to get the best price that it would probably be a little different. Quickest and cheapest route seems to be to get a quote from Mark Dodge or other dealers selling at 4-6% below invoice, and the check with a local dealer to beat that price and take whichever is lower.

Based on previous sales info posted in this forum I would say you were within about $200-$3000 of the best price you could have gotten.

RedFred

Reaction score
LittleJoe, we are gonna bust your chops a little, but don't let us get to you. Tons of threads on here about guys getting good deals. Many have gotten much better deals than I could come close to finding locally. You got a decent deal on your truck, especially compared to those that paid MSRP or more. I don't understand how so many people were willing to pay over MSRP for their trucks and acting like they were taking part in some great event by doing so. But glad you got the truck you were looking for and enjoy.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're happy with the truck and the deal then that's all that matters. Today, without going through one of the high volume dealers and flying somewhere, or having the truck shipped, you really have to do some hard work to get the best deal. Not many trucks sit on the lot very long unless they're odd builds or unpopular options. IMO, if you're not concerned about having the newest body style then the 1500 Classics are probably the best bang for buck in the world of 1/2 ton trucks, albeit with limited options and configurations.
When I bought my 1500 I lucked out and found a truck that was close enough to what I wanted that also had great pricing. I decided the 2-3k I was going to save by ordering wasn't worth a $300 plane ticket and 20hrs driving back home.
While Saturn's may not really be great cars, I know someone who put 300k on an SC2...but he limped it there with some pretty severe rust issues. He's a good ol farm boy from south western Wisconsin.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
congrats on the truck, when i read part (its a very long post lol) of your post last night , at that moment it didnt felt like you had that of a deal but i didnt comment a that point,

reading others i see that they also have the same opinion.

whats important is that you are happy with what you got.

nice truck :) congrats again

RedFred

Reaction score
well the op mention he paid 54 532$ after rebate taxes included. so thats about 50k$ plus taxes

Exactly. Looks like the truck was discounted $3140 or $3389 before the additional $4750 in rebates was applied, depending on which sheet listed the right price. So close to or roughly $8k off the MSRP sticker price.

RedFred

Reaction score
Just look at the deal sheet.
This 👆. Sticker price was $57090. On the deal sheet you can see the vehicle price has already been discounted before the $4750 in rebates were applied.

Last edited:

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
This 👆. Sticker price was $57090. On the deal sheet you can see the vehicle price has already been discounted before the $4750 in rebates were applied.
Start wherever you want on the sheet, top or bottom.

If you look at the final subtotal of 54,532 and subtract all the taxes and crap, then you get:

49, 499 with dealer installed options

MSRP was 57,000

That's about 7500 under MSRP or 13%

I'm no mathematician, but I think that's right unless I don't understand his deal sheet.

RedFred

Reaction score
Start wherever you want on the sheet, top or bottom.

If you look at the final subtotal of 54,532 and subtract all the taxes and crap, then you get:

49, 499 with dealer installed options

MSRP was 57,000

That's about 7500 under MSRP or 13%

I'm no mathematician, but I think that's right unless I don't understand his deal sheet.
You got it right. Only thing I wouldn't even include the $299 of dealer installed options. So the discount was closer to $7800. I'm not sure what the $299 was for or if the op had them add something to the truck, but I'm assuming he got something in return for the $299.

script

Reaction score
Your two eclipses look awesome and in excellent condition. Rarely see those anymore. I too am a big fan of 90's cars.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in love with those Mitsubishi’s. Something about a clean, red Eclipse

Congrats on the new ride!

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just look at the deal sheet.
yes, we are saying the same thing, thats why i was saying you were right, the price was about 50k$ (you say 49499$ )plus taxes total 54532$ tx in as the op mention just over the invoice

my post was to answer GregHBNA, he was asking were you got does number, but he deleted his post

Users who are viewing this thread