5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SAFTEY HAZARD sun visor falls down while driving

jakeintexas

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Laramie. I was driving during traffic and my drivers side sun visor dropped down and I almost wrecked into two cars! Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Deeply concerned and my family was scared to death as I swerved to miss vehicles. Happened just last night. I can get the visor to stay up now and I have to hold it to drive. My vehicle only has about 24k miles on it. Please help!

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My passenger side has done that twice...the two phillips screws holding it in place simply backed out. I used some threadlock and all has been fine. Not sure if this is your same issue or not, but the fix was easy. Glad nothing you were able to drive out of harms way!

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m at the dealership now, team said they had never seen it before.

I took mine in for something else, my sales guy saw me and came over. Explained the issue, and he gave me the “never saw that before” and I gave him a dirty look…. Then he admitted that it’s what he’s supposed to say and that’s a common issue…..

Of course they’re not going to admit to all the potential issues!!!

jakeintexas

Reaction score
Has Ram put anything out about the serious safety hazard with this? I found some older post one where a guy wrecked after it dropped down while he was driving, similar to me but I was able to avoid a huge wreck.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has Ram put anything out about the serious safety hazard with this? I found some older post one where a guy wrecked after it dropped down while he was driving, similar to me but I was able to avoid a huge wreck.

See the post above yours, this explains the method for automakers for problems like these:

I took mine in for something else, my sales guy saw me and came over. Explained the issue, and he gave me the “never saw that before” and I gave him a dirty look…. Then he admitted that it’s what he’s supposed to say and that’s a common issue…..

So no, I doubt they have issued any kind of statement regarding that. Hope your dealership gets your fixed up quickly.

jakeintexas

Reaction score
See the post above yours, this explains the method for automakers for problems like these:

So no, I doubt they have issued any kind of statement regarding that. Hope your dealership gets your fixed up quickly.
They ended up having to order one which won’t be here until next week. Really disappointed

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's Friday and you're disappointed that your new visor won't be here until next week? I thought I was impatient. :oops:

I was going to say something similar but was afraid it would be taken wrong

Dealership does the right thing, I assume at no cost to the truck owner, and in the middle of parts shortages everywhere, next week sounds awesome to me!
The only way this would be disappointing is if the dealer tries to fix this incorrectly with wrong screws and tape and send you on your way for a quick fix….

truckless

Reaction score

Had a backup camera that used to flicker after every time I washed the truck. I asked the service coordinator after they replaced it if it was a common issue... "Only with people who back into snowbanks".

I felt like coldcocking him. Arrogant prick.

ldoh

Reaction score
I’m at the dealership now, team said they had never seen it before.

Something very similar happened to mine. Probably less than 10k miles on it and the driver's side visor became loose over time. While driving in a turn the visor would strike me at the side of the head. It was pretty startling. I looked at DIYing it but was afraid I would damage the cheap plastic holding it in place. The dealership was able to tighten it.

Citrusrules

Reaction score
My passenger side has done that twice...the two phillips screws holding it in place simply backed out. I used some threadlock and all has been fine. Not sure if this is your same issue or not, but the fix was easy. Glad nothing you were able to drive out of harms way!
Well my drivers side fell down as well, the socket plastic clip broke & duct tape will not hold if you have a fabric headliner, I hope it is covered as I have a 2020 Rebel with 76000 miles. Will call dealer Tuesday. This could be dangerous in certain situations for certain

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my drivers side fell down as well, the socket plastic clip broke & duct tape will not hold if you have a fabric headliner, I hope it is covered as I have a 2020 Rebel with 76000 miles. Will call dealer Tuesday. This could be dangerous in certain situations for certain
you can fold it towards the windshield and duck tape to the top of the glass.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's Friday and you're disappointed that your new visor won't be here until next week? I thought I was impatient. :oops:
I just was kind of shocked that someone would admit that a sun visor flipping down was such a horrific experience that it would cause loss of control of the vehicle and crashing vehicles.

I bet today, Sept 2nd, when finding out that Ram would fix this he was as relieved as those boys that survived landing on the beach at Normandy were on Sept 2nd when we signed our peace accord that ended WW2.

I mean the terror of having to duck your head and look under it, reacting to an adverse driving condition must have been awful. If it happened to me, I would have to have double sessions with my therapist.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not just remove the defective visor then you’re halfway done with the installation of the new one?

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both of mine broke from frequent use I guess with my Sunshade. I replaced the driver side for $100. Passenger still broken. I whack it back in the hole every time I put up and take down my shade. Lol.

KillerRamFam

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Laramie. I was driving during traffic and my drivers side sun visor dropped down and I almost wrecked into two cars! Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Deeply concerned and my family was scared to death as I swerved to miss vehicles. Happened just last night. I can get the visor to stay up now and I have to hold it to drive. My vehicle only has about 24k miles on it. Please help!
This just happened on both visors on my 2019 Ram Laramie. Is this not a recall item? This is definitely a Safety Recall. I am being told by Ram dealership they can replace with new visors at my cost. WHAT?

SkeeterRAM

Reaction score
I just was kind of shocked that someone would admit that a sun visor flipping down was such a horrific experience that it would cause loss of control of the vehicle and crashing vehicles.

I bet today, Sept 2nd, when finding out that Ram would fix this he was as relieved as those boys that survived landing on the beach at Normandy were on Sept 2nd when we signed our peace accord that ended WW2.

I mean the terror of having to duck your head and look under it, reacting to an adverse driving condition must have been awful. If it happened to me, I would have to have double sessions with my therapist.
Had I seen this thread, would never have ordered & purchased a Ram. 33K miles so far, no issues. Fingers crossed my luck holds out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/