5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safe to use Unmarried Tazer DT?

donkusmaximus

Reaction score
Can I brick/damage/screw-up my truck if I use an unmarried Tazer DT and only use the "Live" functions?

I've read some stories about people that fat-fingered something on their Tazer DT which bricked their truck. I think those were "Vehicle" functions and I think the Tazer was married.

The only functions I want to use are in the "Live" functions menu, so I don't need to marry the Tazer DT? Can I brick/damage/screw-up my truck if I use an unmarried Tazer DT and only use the "Live" functions?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can I brick/damage/screw-up my truck if I use an unmarried Tazer DT and only use the "Live" functions?

I've read some stories about people that fat-fingered something on their Tazer DT which bricked their truck. I think those were "Vehicle" functions and I think the Tazer was married.

The only functions I want to use are in the "Live" functions menu, so I don't need to marry the Tazer DT? Can I brick/damage/screw-up my truck if I use an unmarried Tazer DT and only use the "Live" functions?
Yes, you can use it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You stand little risk of bricking your BCM with the TazerDT, and most of those stories are from the TRX forum and trying to use the pin lock feature. There are no settings you can change that will hurt your truck, or can't reverse. So dont enable pin lock to and you will be fine, even when married

But yes, you can use it unmarried specifically for the live features

donkusmaximus

Reaction score
You stand little risk of bricking your BCM with the TazerDT, and most of those stories are from the TRX forum and trying to use the pin lock feature. There are no settings you can change that will hurt your truck, or can't reverse. So dont enable pin lock to and you will be fine, even when married

But yes, you can use it unmarried specifically for the live features
One of the features I want to use on the Live settings menu is the PIN lock. AFAIK, it doesn't need to be married to use PIN lock.

So using PIN lock, even unmarried on a non-TRX, can brick the BCM? Maybe I'm misunderstanding this.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One of the features I want to use on the Live settings menu is the PIN lock. AFAIK, it doesn't need to be married to use PIN lock.

So using PIN lock, even unmarried on a non-TRX, can brick the BCM? Maybe I'm misunderstanding this.
It is possible. It either takes our the BCM or the RF hub. I personally don't use the pin lock feature for other reasons, but do use killbyfob.

donkusmaximus

Reaction score
It is possible. It either takes our the BCM or the RF hub. I personally don't use the pin lock feature for other reasons, but do use killbyfob.
I'm reading over the Tazer DT instructions trying to find an answer to this question: If I just use KillByFob, does it keep the gas pedal disabled even if the Tazer is disconnected? I'm thinking of a situation where a thief breaks in, creates a key fob, starts the truck but the gas pedal is dead. So he finds the Tazer DT plugged in and disconnects it. Can he drive away then?

The instructions also seem to imply that ONLY the fob used to lock the truck will enable the gas pedal when the truck is unlocked, and that unlocking using a key or different fob (they mention proximity unlock, which I don't have) will not enable the gas pedal without entering the PIN code whether the PIN lock is enabled or not. This raises the issue that even if I don't enable PIN lock and just enable KillByFob, that I should still create a PIN code regardless.

Their instructions are not the greatest and raise other questions.

Thank you for helping and replying.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm reading over the Tazer DT instructions trying to find an answer to this question: If I just use KillByFob, does it keep the gas pedal disabled even if the Tazer is disconnected? I'm thinking of a situation where a thief breaks in, creates a key fob, starts the truck but the gas pedal is dead. So he finds the Tazer DT plugged in and disconnects it. Can he drive away then?

The instructions also seem to imply that ONLY the fob used to lock the truck will enable the gas pedal when the truck is unlocked, and that unlocking using a key or different fob (they mention proximity unlock, which I don't have) will not enable the gas pedal without entering the PIN code whether the PIN lock is enabled or not. This raises the issue that even if I don't enable PIN lock and just enable KillByFob, that I should still create a PIN code regardless.

Their instructions are not the greatest and raise other questions.

Thank you for helping and replying.
This is why there are some who says it's not a true security feature, and even with killing the gas pedal it's a simple relearn procedure to get it back, that thieves can do just as fast as they make new fobs.

But yes, you need to knock the truck using the same key fob as you locked it with. It has caused me some issues with my truck when my wife would meet me somewhere and use her fob to get into the truck. Nothing that wasn't overcome with some locking and unlocking using the fobs. I've also had a few times where I get in the truck and accidentally bump the lock button on fob, and then the truck won't go when I try to drive. I mean, it will go, but only at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread