5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad to see the quality of community and discussion on the site degrading recently

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been a long time member and contributor to this forum and have generally found the quality of the site and the community to be superior to many of the other Ram forums and other forums I've participated in for other vehicles. It has always been a great place to discuss 5th gen Ram trucks and get good advice while also finding fun threads about dogs, other cars etc. without having to scroll through reams of off topic BS from folks who seemed threatened by anything different than their identity or politics. In the last couple months it has seemed more and more threads go off topic or devolve into posts full of fear/hate/non-truck related nonsense. Hope this is a temporary diversion but fear that social media and partisanship is ruining this country and community run sites like this one.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
While I agree with you about more of the threads going way off topic, it doesn't bother me as much. I joined this forum in 2020, and noticed then that there were a couple of guys who were mostly concerned with making sure everyone saw how much they knew. After a while I just clicked "Ignore", which had a better result than I expected. In addition to not seeing threads that they created, their induced absence on other threads that I was interested in elevated the quality of said threads - Addition by Subtraction.

I'm not looking to censor anyone, but that doesn't mean I have to read the rantings of people who can't exist outside of their own small worlds either. This is still the best forum of the few that I am on, and I expect it will continue to be so, even as it evolves. 🍻

n8zcc

Reaction score
That is why I have a mouse and simply click away from the crap. I guess I'm a bit luckier than others, in my orbit, nobody watches MSM or falls victim to all the hate speech that seems to be a constant on TV. Just remember, they have to create content that attacks views so they can show their advertisers they have an audience.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As the forum grows and new members are added, you will get more of that. We try to keep the political talk to a minimum, and any genuine attacks towards other members are handles when they are noticed.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I agree with you about more of the threads going way off topic, it doesn't bother me as much. I joined this forum in 2020, and noticed then that there were a couple of guys who were mostly concerned with making sure everyone saw how much they knew. After a while I just clicked "Ignore", which had a better result than I expected. In addition to not seeing threads that they created, their induced absence on other threads that I was interested in elevated the quality of said threads - Addition by Subtraction.

I'm not looking to censor anyone, but that doesn't mean I have to read the rantings of people who can't exist outside of their own small worlds either. This is still the best forum of the few that I am on, and I expect it will continue to be so, even as it evolves. 🍻
Thanks for the tip - didn't realize I had that option so will have to check it out!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I've never been bothered by thread drift. How many times have you been talking to your buddies about something and end up on a completely different topic? It happens. Some people are argumentative and always need to be right. I usually just scroll past their posts.

I used to visit a dirt bike forum every day, since 2004. That place turned into a cesspool about 3.5 years ago. Now I visit that site about 4-5 per year. This forum is very user friendly and the majority of the members are pretty helpful. I still enjoy coming here.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny this is an off topic thread complaining about too many of other peoples off topic threads.
I disagree - I started this thread in the forum section dedicated to off-topic discussion to express my frustration with an increase is users going off-topic in the forum sections dedicated to discussions about our trucks. In particular I am not a fan of so many of those posts not only being off-topic but meant to divide people and spread false information. I have no issue with members posting off-topic in the off-topic discussion section!

HemiDude

Reaction score
It's time to hijack it and argue fuel economy, axle ratios, oil brands, or octane
Funny this is an off topic thread complaining about too many of other peoples off topic threads.

Not sure we want to go down the rabbit hole of on-topic discussions!

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's time to hijack it and argue fuel economy, axle ratios, oil brands, or octane
You bring up a good point, what affects fuel economy the most? Axle ratio, octane, or oil? Is it some combination of the 3? Like high octane and lower viscosity with a 3.21 will give you the best but you may lose .005 if you switch to 5w-20? LOL
I kid, I kid...let us not go down this rabbit hole.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You bring up a good point, what affects fuel economy the most? Axle ratio, octane, or oil? Is it some combination of the 3? Like high octane and lower viscosity with a 3.21 will give you the best but you may lose .005 if you switch to 5w-20? LOL
Shoe size. Shoe size definitely effects gas mileage the most. Guys with bigger shoes get worse gas mileage because gravity from the heavier shoe causes the gas pedal to be pushed further.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I think it's representative of the real world increase of the more politicized world we currently live in and maybe a bit of "it's all about me" mentality of some people today. That they want to put out their opinion and they don't care if it's in someone else's question.

As for me, I can't honestly say I see it happening anymore in this forum or any other forum I'm a part of. As for increasing over time in this forum, I didn't notice that either, but I'm not particularly observant.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went to an auto parts store today to get auto parts for my truck. While I was in there another customer started talking about something that wasn’t related to auto parts so I left the store and I’ll never go back.
Good call, chances are the person working the counter knew more about the other topic than auto parts anyways.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've never been bothered by thread drift. How many times have you been talking to your buddies about something and end up on a completely different topic? It happens. Some people are argumentative and always need to be right. I usually just scroll past their posts.
This x10000000

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Fuel economy in the Ram truck with a 5.7 Hemi motor is a matter of simple mathematics my friend.

You see: oil viscosity x octane - axel ratio ^(tire size÷4) × lift height/number of times "what size tire will fit without rubbing" is asked, will give you your expected milage +/- 10mpg.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Mountain Whiskey Fixed the equation for you:
oil viscosity x octane - axel ratio ^(tire size÷4) × lift height/number of times + 3.21 gears x "what size tire will fit without rubbing" is asked, will give you your expected milage +/- 10mpg and the biggest grins because you didn’t get 3.92’s.

Users who are viewing this thread