5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad day girl pulled out she didn’t see me

shaveman

Reaction score
So sad she was at fault
All I can tell you is be cautious in all this. The original estimates are always lower than what it ends up needing as the repairs build. I just got done going through a nightmare of an experience with my wife’s less than 1 year old Lexus. She was rear ended while stopped by a young guy texting and doing 50 mph. Thankfully all her injuries were non life threatening. The body shop started with a $10,000 estimate that grew to a $20,000 estimate and when everything was all said and done I had the vehicle inspected for a diminished value claim and they discovered major structural damage that had been ignored because it couldn’t have been overlooked and 3 months later the vehicle was declared a total loss, the whole thing was a nightmare of an experience that lasted over 4 months!
Very good advice. Check the diminished value claim laws in your state. Here's an article on the subject:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t forget that attorneys will take 25% of the pay out before court and 33% or higher if they have to go to court, having an attorney isn’t always the greatest idea
That may be true but the insurance company won't know you're serious without one. People who mean business get an attorney. 66% of maximum benefit is more money than 100% of nothing trying to fight it out with an insurance company on your own :) . I'm not suggesting to gouge anyone, only that there's a good likelihood this guy is going to deal with some of this stuff way down the road after he's already signed the releases, and then all the doctor bills will be his responsibility. Just like it turned out for us. We just didn't know enough to look out for our own interests back then.

Ram19Va

Reaction score
It is so worth it to have a dashcams for situations just like this one. Sorry to hear about the truck man. I have the Zero Edge Z3 I believe it is: Short chargine adapter and 13ft usb to usb cord comes with it. Has audio and video and you just press a button if you want to keep a video. Got mine on 3 minute loops.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That may be true but the insurance company won't know you're serious without one. People who mean business get an attorney. 66% of maximum benefit is more money than 100% of nothing trying to fight it out with an insurance company on your own :) . I'm not suggesting to gouge anyone, only that there's a good likelihood this guy is going to deal with some of this stuff way down the road after he's already signed the releases, and then all the doctor bills will be his responsibility. Just like it turned out for us. We just didn't know enough to look out for our own interests back then.
Not really but I won’t get into a pissing match with you. I was a liability claims adjuster for 9 years, settled many a claim for limits on low policies without an attorney, but that’s merely my experience...

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
Sounds like a state police investigator's set of questions :D
She was in the parking lot coming across 2 lanes and was making a Illegal left turn there are sign post in the parking lot no left turn. She hit me at rh rear passenger doors on an angle and spun me round to face her
You say "T-boned", which usually means getting hit broadside, in the middle between the wheels, but your 2008 looks like it was hit initially at right front, then perhaps both vehicles spun around and the left rear corner of the offending vehicle struck your truck again, behind the cab? Or your truck hit something else behind the cab when it got spun around? What was the size of the offending vehicle compared to your 2008?

Just curious.
Yes she did t-me she was coming from the parking lot and did an illegal left hand turn she crosses two lanes . She hit me on an slight angle on the rear rh pass door/ bed spun me around till i was facing her. she was driving a 19 caddie SUV i was doing about 25-30 i not sure how fast she was going but to across 3 lanes of traffic maybe 5-10 . i did not see her at all another driver check on us and he told she darted from the parking lot to across over to go left was there is a sign no left turn
You say "T-boned", which usually means getting hit broadside, in the middle between the wheels, but your 2008 looks like it was hit initially at right front, then perhaps both vehicles spun around and the left rear corner of the offending vehicle struck your truck again, behind the cab? Or your truck hit something else behind the cab when it got spun around? What was the size of the offending vehicle compared to your 2008?

Just curious.

Attachments

• Wreck.jpg
    Wreck.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 75

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not really but I won’t get into a pissing match with you. I was a liability claims adjuster for 9 years, settled many a claim for limits on low policies without an attorney, but that’s merely my experience...
Then you sound like one of the good guys :) . No adjuster offered to settle our claim for the policy limit and we were too stupid to realize doctor bills could go on for years. In any case just because you settled plenty without an attorney, insurance companies don't stay profitable by writing checks for any more than they have to. If the guy requests the policy limit and they say no, what would be your suggestion?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Then you sound like one of the good guys :) . No adjuster offered to settle our claim for the policy limit and we were too stupid to realize doctor bills could go on for years. In any case just because you settled plenty without an attorney, insurance companies don't stay profitable by writing checks for any more than they have to. If the guy requests the policy limit and they say no, what would be your suggestion?
Each case is decided on its own merits. Soft tissue injuries are worth less than “hard” injuries, and the type of medical expense often dictates reimbursement rates.

For example, chiropractic visits with entirely soft tissue injuries are less provable and less winnable in a court case. Medical doctor diagnosis as well as records from medical doctors showing fractures or the like make it easier to prove the injury and subsequent care or rehab needed.

Sometimes we adjusters noted that the soothing effect of $100 bills rubbed across the injury made it go away. That’s not to say anything about your case, it’s just a reflection of our modern society where money is seen to be the cure for everything.
You would not believe everything what goes on in some of these claims. There were chiropractors who worked hand in glove with attorneys to pad the bills and run up the damages. People would get busted going bowling and engaging in high-level sports activities while claiming severe neck and back problems.

It’s like anything else, it’s the bad apples that wreck things for everyone.
In respect to policy limits, often a company will tender limits for low value policies early so they don’t get sued by their own insured in the event it goes to court and there is an excess verdict. It is when the insured has a medium size to larger policy, say 300,000 and up, where things get gray.

I rarely saw many claimants come out ahead with an attorney due to what the attorney took. It’s like negotiating for a car, some people will pay others to do the negotiating for them.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes we adjusters noted that the soothing effect of $100 bills rubbed across the injury made it go away. That’s not to say anything about your case, it’s just a reflection of our modern society where money is seen to be the cure for everything.
You would not believe everything what goes on in some of these claims. There were chiropractors who worked hand in glove with attorneys to pad the bills and run up the damages. People would get busted going bowling and engaging in high-level sports activities while claiming severe neck and back problems.
:ROFLMAO: That's hilarious. I know exactly what you're talking about - in my capacity as a executive I've been sued twice (as a member of the organization) and twice by insurance companies. There are a lot of BS scammers out there for sure.

You're right about soft-tissue injuries; the bigger problems are things that are difficult to pinpoint with hard accuracy like residual effects of concussions, whiplash, and other nerve and joint damage. In our case (well, my wife's case, not mine), there's no question being rear-ended at 55+ MPH while stopped at a traffic light and the resulting whiplash has had long term effects. We just didn't know any better back then to get anything more than the initial doctor costs and the damage to the truck. It never occurred to us that just because you went to the doctor today doesn't mean you're finished. An attorney of any kind, worth at least the paper their degree was printed on, would have advised us to get a better settlement because of the possibility of future issues. The insurance company, in turn, could always attempt to abrogate their losses against their own insured since just having insurance doesn't mean you can break the law or act negligently, which is what was happening here. I realize it rarely happens - most people have no assets to be claimed from the insurance company getting a judgement - but it can happen.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yes, speed of the other vehicle, its relative mass, if the claimant was buckled in, all these types of things make a difference in the injury and the case. Low impact claims were the (usual) bogus or inflated ones, there wasn’t much to argue about if your insured rear ended someone at 55 unless they were on a hopped up moped.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Don’t forget that attorneys will take 25% of the pay out before court and 33% or higher if they have to go to court, having an attorney isn’t always the greatest idea
What’s the alternative? Get nothing for the medical bills? I’d rather give a lawyer 33% of something over keeping 100% of nothing.

Edit: just saw your additional posts too

Last edited:

Quiet

Reaction score
What’s the alternative? Get nothing for the medical bills? I’d rather give a lawyer 33% of something over keeping 100% of nothing.

I think the idea is that it may be best to see what kind of settlement is offered before involving lawyers. If you're offered 75% of the policy maximum, there's no reason to hire a lawyer to go after the maximum if they're going to take 33%.

Unless you just want to stick it to the other driver's insurance company, I guess.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

No problem, there’s so many different variables when it comes to automobile accidents with and without injuries.

One of the things that people have to remember is there’s loss of value which insurance companies generally don’t like to pay for, but applies for almost any vehicle. Back in the day if you had a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla or basic half ton truck, there was not much in the way of loss of value as long as the vehicle was fixed correctly. Today, with $65,000 and higher trucks, that cost as much as a foreign luxury car, you have to consider it I would not be paying retail for a vehicle that it been in any kind of a wreck especially if it was reported on Carfax or Auto check.

Diminished value is a fact, and you also have to verify how well the car or truck was repaired if it was done by a licensed shop, as well as looking for paint issues and panel alignment. The whole thing of frame straightening or unibody frame damage is a real rats nest now.

The new F150 aluminum body is another level of complexity.

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
Update The truck bed side was replaced along with the Floor in the bed. The right rear door was replaced along with the right rear cab section. I was very impressed at the quality of work that been performed. cab section. I was worried about this. The shop repainted the entire right side replaced the entire rear end along with new springs, arms, and shocks. could not find any damage or even a marked on the frame. Shop had it on the frame machine and alignment anc could not find any defects or deficiencies. Currently the truck is being reassembly so i should have it back by Thursday
I wish insurance would have total it. does anyone know how much i could received for Diminished value . MSRP 54K
2019 1500 Laramie 4x4 off road pk sport appearance pk and hill descent & anti lock.

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
Update The truck bed side was replaced along with the Floor in the bed. The right rear door was replaced along with the right rear cab section. I was very impressed at the quality of work that been performed. cab section. I was worried about this. The shop repainted the entire right side replaced the entire rear end along with new springs, arms, and shocks. could not find any damage or even a marked on the frame. Shop had it on the frame machine and alignment anc could not find any defects or deficiencies. Currently the truck is being reassembly so i should have it back by Thursday
I wish insurance would have total it. does anyone know how much i could received for Diminished value . MSRP 54K
2019 1500 Laramie 4x4 off road pk sport appearance pk and hill descent & anti lock.
I will posted more pictures as soon as it gets out of the shop

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I will posted more pictures as soon as it gets out of the shop
Its a guess in the diminished value but go to a RAM dealer and ask the car buyer what the difference in value between the no accident and the having had one. Id say 10% of appraisal.

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Wow, that’s cheap. Attorney’s here take 40% plus expenses!

Users who are viewing this thread