5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RV advices

Lize

Reaction score
I've been debating on and off for ages whether to get an RV so wondered if anyone could share their thoughts please?
Selection in the UK will be limited but if I have a better idea of what to look for then I can spend some time in sourcing one.

Here's what I'm thinking:
  • Likely class A rather than C but open to pro's/cons of each
  • Needs to be less than 7500kg (16,500lbs) max loaded weight or I have to get a different licence, so rules out any 40 footers
  • Prefer gas over diesel, a lot seem to have Ford V10, not done any research on that yet
  • Fixed queen bed, not worried about any other sleeping arrangements so no bunks
  • Dinette and kitchen with a bit of counter top would be good
  • Prefer a shower with tub rather than tray but could retro-fit one depending on water heating capacity
  • Must have a form of heating and air con, any recommendations on best heating welcome
  • A door on drivers side would be useful for UK to save getting in and out on traffic side but they seem rare and not a necessity
  • Not worried about locker capacity
Budget not yet set, depends on what I can find.

Now I've written it down it all sounds a bit like any will do!!

Thanks in advance
Liz

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Why on earth would one prefer a gas over diesel RV other than price... the ford v10s are extremely sluggish and insane gas hogs...

A Mercedes sprinter base or those ford, fiat or Peugeot diesel bases available in Europe are far superior in torque and gas mileage to those v10s. Only reason they still make them in the us is to sell those cheap off the lot wrecks they call RVs. Everything creaks, squeaks, bounces...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lize

Reaction score
I wondered as much about the V10, there are other choices though. I would convert (if not already) to LPG which is much cheaper than petrol and diesel. It is possible to convert diesel to lpg but not common place and could be fraught with problems.

Even large European models seem small inside and unusual to have slide outs, even with my weight restriction the US ones are definitely superior and have much better internal arrangements. Also, unless completely coach built, the fiat and Peugeot chassis models are based on a crappy van chassis and drive badly and are further hampered with high floor height, I haven't driven a US RV though, so maybe they are as bad?!

An example - this 30ft claims to be under the 7,500kg:

And here's a European Fiat Ducato, you have to fiddle about with a dining table and see the size of the shower:
Yes, its lighter in weight around 5,000kg but still only has a 160hp diesel (and thats an upgrade).

Aberamrod19

Reaction score
My wife and i just bought a 24ft. RV. It is a Thor coach and ford cab with triton engine deisel, driven it about 6000 miles so far and we love it. Sorry no pic

Lize

Reaction score
Thor seem the most popular over here and there are some good options, how do you find the Ford cab, I wonder if it seems odd to drive being wider bodied?
I've seen some class A coach style American Eagles which look fantastic but very expensive and usually over my weight limit so would need to get an upgraded driving licence.

Users who are viewing this thread