5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rusting front chrome tow hooks

giardibe

Reaction score
Is there any one else having the issue with the front chrome tow hooks starting to rust. I ordered my 2019 Ram Laramie with the chrome package and took delivery toward the end of September 2018. After roughly 3 months before the first real snow fall, I noticed one of the front tow hooks starting to form brown surface rust, and was initially pitted underneath the plating. The dealer replaced the one that was starting to rust without any issue. Now mid winter, roughly 6-7 months of having the truck, both chrome tow hooks have rust starting to form again. Is the chrome plating put on these parts not thick enough, or are the parts not prepped properly before plating? Any one else out there seeing this issue? I am going to notify the dealer and get these replaced, but concerned of how long these chrome parts, that are supposed to enhance the trucks appearance, will last before they rust and have the opposite effect. Not sure if Ram is aware of this issue or not.

geotex1

Reaction score
I'll be looking for sure. Modern plating is aesthetic only. Hard chroming is no longer done for any modern automotive trim. Even so, they shouldn't be trusting like that. Are you certain it is rust? Have you tried polishing it off with Wenol or a fine chrome polish? It is possible they weren't well-prepped before plating. It was likely an electroplating process and poor prep leaves an imperfect plate that can do as you described pretty quickly.

Last edited:

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm near Detroit, Chrome hooks, lots of snow, which means lots of salt. No rust on mine, 5700 miles.

giardibe

Reaction score
This is the left and right front chrome tow hooks, less than 6 months and starting to rust.

Attachments

• AADA9944-5DEC-46A7-A50C-36790E826F4B.jpeg
    AADA9944-5DEC-46A7-A50C-36790E826F4B.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 83
  • E9F6A8D5-93B8-4EC6-90AF-EBB2A27B52F2.jpeg
    E9F6A8D5-93B8-4EC6-90AF-EBB2A27B52F2.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 84

giardibe

Reaction score
I had my dealer take a look at the rust on the front chrome tow hooks and apparently Ram is aware of this issue. Unfortunately, they said there is no fix yet. They said they were instructed by Ram to just clean the rust off. Hope this is not Rams permanent solution, since they will just start to rust again. If any one runs across a service bulletin for this, please post it. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread