5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rusted Oil Pan

Einstein376

Reaction score
Today while getting an oil change on my 2019 Ram, the tech pointed out my oil pan was rusting out at 57,000 miles and that the dip stick tube was hanging loose. I have an appointment with my dealer for the oil pan and I am wondering if anyone else has seen this. The shop doing the oil change has seen a number of these on other Rams.

Jim IMG_0293.jpeg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you tried search? There are other threads on here about it already. Others have experienced it.

Jako

Reaction score

Scram1500

Reaction score
Holy jumping Jesus Christ! That's pretty bad. I feel like I need to look at my oil pan every time one of these pops up

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Reason why I get mine sprayed. looks like it just came off the factory floor and it's a 2019.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This seems to be an issue that only effects certain 2019 trucks. Like they got a bad batch of oil pans. I've only seen 2019 owners posting about it. But definitely more reason to check under your truck and keep it clean

Dewey

Reaction score
Holy crap that’s bad😲

After the pans are stamped out don’t they get painted? Maybe that process somehow got skipped. Either that or seriously cheap steel.

My trucks live in salt spray up to 6 months a year and never seen a bit of rust on an oil pan ever. Just road grime build up but zero corrosion. That’s uncalled for and should never happen.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 ecodiesel oil pan is rusting. Not that bad, but my next oil change in a week I'm going to do a full POR15 treatment on it. I think the factory paint is junk and chips easily.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
It's an unfortunate and common problem. Mine doesn't look near that bad but it's surprisingly bad for the truck only being 4 years old.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
My 2020 ecodiesel oil pan is rusting. Not that bad, but my next oil change in a week I'm going to do a full POR15 treatment on it. I think the factory paint is junk and chips easily.

Out of curiosity, what is your plan? Are you just going to sand out and treat the rust spots? I would consider something preventative like this myself.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what is your plan? Are you just going to sand out and treat the rust spots? I would consider something preventative like this myself.
Mine was actually very bad on the front. I used a wire brush and applied POR15 to the entire pan. I will see how this holds up and if it stops the rust. If it doesn't I will replace the pan. On the ED it seems easy because it's just a lower pan that you have full access to.

I can't believe how poorly they hold up.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Mine was actually very bad on the front. I used a wire brush and applied POR15 to the entire pan. I will see how this holds up and if it stops the rust. If it doesn't I will replace the pan. On the ED it seems easy because it's just a lower pan that you have full access to.

I can't believe how poorly they hold up.

Not so much on the hemi. I imagine to change the pan out they are probably loosening motor mounts and jacking up the motor. I could be wrong though.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not so much on the hemi. I imagine to change the pan out they are probably loosening motor mounts and jacking up the motor. I could be wrong though.
Yeah the Hemi is more work for sure. The ED seems much easier. I may buy a new one and coat it with Bedliner to protect it. Some seriously large chunks of rust were coming off it and I was getting nervous that I was going to puncture it

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Yeah the Hemi is more work for sure. The ED seems much easier. I may buy a new one and coat it with Bedliner to protect it. Some seriously large chunks of rust were coming off it and I was getting nervous that I was going to puncture it

Everything is easy on the ED lol. The transmission pan/filter and fluid change takes 50% of the time because the crossover pipe for the exhaust is not in the way.

Einstein376

Reaction score
Update -

My dealer replaced the loose / broken dip stick tube under the drivetrain warranty and would have covered the oil pan as well but it was not presently leaking.

My plan is - I picked up the POR15 kit and plan to wire brush the loose rust off and treat the oil pan with the kit to try to add some time to needing a replacement.

Just another one of those - what was RAM thinking issues. Glad to have a good service department at the local dealership.

Jim

dork17

Reaction score
I used a wire wheel to clean off all the flakes and pits the best I could, then I brushed on two coats of some satin black rustoleum paint. 6 months later and it looks the same as the day I painted, shall see how it holds up through the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online