5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust Prevention

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How have the 5th Gen held up to rust?

I have a Jeep TJ that simply rusted to crap with no undercoating. I also have a Nissan Frontier from 2012 that still looks brand new underneath.

I am not a fan of wax wool or similar undercoating that washes out. Has anyone used a rubberized undercoating or even found it necessary?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How have the 5th Gen held up to rust?

I have a Jeep TJ that simply rusted to crap with no undercoating. I also have a Nissan Frontier from 2012 that still looks brand new underneath.

I am not a fan of wax wool or similar undercoating that washes out. Has anyone used a rubberized undercoating or even found it necessary?
I would highly recommend staying away from rubberized coatings . I’ve always used Rust Check or Krown , they’re an oil based undercoating . I used it on my 1989 Mustang and after 15 years it still looked brand new . They just have to be applied every year , I used to get it done in the fall just before winter .

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and live in the Midwest, so lots of snow and road salt. I use an under carriage pressure washer attachment from time to time to spray underneath the truck. Last week I changed side steps and when I got under the truck was amazed how clean and rust free it still was. All the barcode stickers from the factory still looked new even.
Undercarriage sprayer attachment is about $35 from amazon. Turn it around and it becomes a pressure washer broom for floor too. Good tool to have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread