5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust patches on rear bumper. Any suggestions?

Eaglehemi345

Reaction score
I was washing my truck and i saw a spot of rust on rear bumper corner. Paint flaked off. Probably stone chips. Any fix for this. what i know so far is that i have to sand it. Put some bondo . Prime and paint. Any other suggestions would be helpful. IMG_0246.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 10

raygun9

Reaction score
Can you pop the bumper off and check the other side? From what I have learned on my 4th gen.. what you see isn't really the bulk of it.
POR is awesome for situations like this but its a lot of work.

Eaglehemi345

Reaction score
Can you pop the bumper off and check the other side? From what I have learned on my 4th gen.. what you see isn't really the bulk of it.
POR is awesome for situations like this but its a lot of work.
Just surface rust for now. what is POR?

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you could go to a shop and have just a spot fix blend

on my first ram, a 2009, i had a power washer remove.a flake from the front bumber, that was in 2012 about... had that spot fix blend and clear coat done and from memory it cost me about 120$ back then thats cad so about 90$ ... im sure today it would be more expensive maybe the double or about... but just buying primer, the clear and having the correct paint done for you will bring you in the middle of that price about... so maybe worth it to bring it to a shop

having a spot repair will not be as.perfect as having the whole bumber done but in my case to be honest we could tell after... i guess it depends if the person that does it i skill in doing spot repairs...

bit for sure the rusted area has to be perfectly clean, sanded and cleaned with thinner or something similar

until you fix it you could put some grease on the rust to make the rust stop rusting

Eaglehemi345

Reaction score
you could go to a shop and have just a spot fix blend

on my first ram, a 2009, i had a power washer remove.a flake from the front bumber, that was in 2012 about... had that spot fix blend and clear coat done and from memory it cost me about 120$ back then thats cad so about 90$ ... im sure today it would be more expensive maybe the double or about... but just buying primer, the clear and having the correct paint done for you will bring you in the middle of that price about... so maybe worth it to bring it to a shop

having a spot repair will not be as.perfect as having the whole bumber done but in my case to be honest we could tell after... i guess it depends if the person that does it i skill in doing spot repairs...

bit for sure the rusted area has to be perfectly clean, sanded and cleaned with thinner or something similar

until you fix it you could put some grease on the rust to make the rust stop rusting
Thanks for the input bud. Much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread