5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rust on rear seats?

wayneli

Reaction score
When I pull out the rear seats to check if there is any sign of previous leakage, I noticed there is rust on both rear seats. Is it normal ?

I didn't see anything abnormal on other places yet....

IMG_4579.jpg

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m not saying it’s normal, but I have it and the loaner that I had also had it.

Last edited:

HMC8403

Reaction score
Two week old Limited and while doing some mods yesterday I noticed the same. I will go to the dealership and speak my mind. 23BB7CE0-B0FB-4173-BFCF-C7A4655742C1.jpeg

drush

Reaction score
I would not consider that normal at all. I’ve never seen that on any vehicle I have owned except for one...the one I left the sunroof open during a rainstorm and the interior got soaked.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it probably depends on your climate to some extent and if there's any protective coating on the metal. I know for a fact that my Titan (my last truck) never got the seats soaked or anything like that, but when I removed the seats to have them recovered at about the 10 year mark there was a decent amount of surface rust that looked just like that on both seat pans. The metal was shiny steel just like what you show, so the only thing I can figure is it just rusted from atmospheric moisture because it doesn't have any protective coating on it.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I've had rust on various seat brackets and parts inside the car in just about every car I've ever owned. Moisture gets into your car, and becomes a great environment for it to rust things. I'll have to check my RAM when I get back from overseas.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I pull out the rear seats to check if there is any sign of previous leakage, I noticed there is rust on both rear seats. Is it normal ?

I didn't see anything abnormal on other places yet....

View attachment 24626

View attachment 24627
My rear seat brackets had surface rust all over when I got the truck in September. I think it was extra bad on mine because my rear sunroof drains were out so the cab had two holes exposed to the outside humidity...until I seated them.

Users who are viewing this thread