5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust Already?

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi All,

Having been a member of this site for more than 6 months, and a lurker for a little longer than that, it is sad that my first post is going to be a rant.

I bought my truck (Pentastar Bighorn) in August of 2021 brand new off the lot. It now has ~12,000km on it and I love the machine! However, today we are having a beautiful sunny day and I decided to go out and give it a nice spring-cleaning, only to discover numerous areas of what appears to be rust spots ALL AROUND THE TRUCK!!! The worst spots are in the wheel wells, but there are spots on the door sill, the gas tank cover, the tail gate, everywhere!

This is particularly irksome to me because I sold my beloved 2010 F150 and bought this truck because of rust issues. My intent is to visit the dealership this week to have them look at it, though I am unsure what to expect. This is my first new vehicle and don't have much experience as to what is covered under warranty and what isn't.

I am attaching some pics here of the worst areas. Has this happened to anyone else?.....or am I just that unlucky?

Attachments

• IMG-20220410-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220410-WA0007.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG-20220410-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20220410-WA0008.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG-20220410-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20220410-WA0009.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG-20220410-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20220410-WA0010.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 225

Steve67

Reaction score
Hi All,

Having been a member of this site for more than 6 months, and a lurker for a little longer than that, it is sad that my first post is going to be a rant.

I bought my truck (Pentastar Bighorn) in August of 2021 brand new off the lot. It now has ~12,000km on it and I love the machine! However, today we are having a beautiful sunny day and I decided to go out and give it a nice spring-cleaning, only to discover numerous areas of what appears to be rust spots ALL AROUND THE TRUCK!!! The worst spots are in the wheel wells, but there are spots on the door sill, the gas tank cover, the tail gate, everywhere!

This is particularly irksome to me because I sold my beloved 2010 F150 and bought this truck because of rust issues. My intent is to visit the dealership this week to have them look at it, though I am unsure what to expect. This is my first new vehicle and don't have much experience as to what is covered under warranty and what isn't.

I am attaching some pics here of the worst areas. Has this happened to anyone else?.....or am I just that unlucky?
Wow I just got a 22 bighorn. Is that really rust? Or maybe is it something that maybe splashed on it? I’d be pissed if it rust that fast!!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like “rail dust” can be picked up from your brakes or anything steel really that settles on the paint. Fuel door is plastic so it won’t rust.

Wash your truck really well by hand and use an iron/fallout remover (any good detailing company has one in their lineup, I prefer chemical guys). Apply it to any area that the spots are on and wait for the iron remover to turn purple then wash it off.

Daverous

Reaction score
Iron from transport gets blasted into the clear pretty often. If it's not removed with an iron remover it'll do that. My white truck had it all over(not that bad). I hit it with remover then clay bared it and no issues since.
If it's not bubbling I'd say that's what it is.

Edit, what he said.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard to tell if that is rust. Are you able to clean it off? Considering you said its everywhere on the truck makes me think it isn't rust.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi All,

Your wheel well flares are made out of plastic, so that can't be rust.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Mothers clay bar kit will take off that rail dust. I've had to do this on the rear hatch and tailgates before.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't have wheel well flares, but the gas tank cover comment is accepted. I went through a car wash and then came home and did a hand scrub with soap and warm water. Nothing changed.

I'll get the iron remover stuff and give it a shot. To be continued.......

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
It’s rail dust, a good detailing will remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't have wheel well flares, but the gas tank cover comment is accepted. I went through a car wash and then came home and did a hand scrub with soap and warm water. Nothing changed.

I'll get the iron remover stuff and give it a shot. To be continued.......
You do have flares. I can see them in your pics.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Agree with others, it's on the surface of the paint (aka rail dust). Clay bar with solution will remove.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have a white truck and deal with this regularly. Iron fallout is more noticeable on white vehicles. I use Griots to remove....link below.

Last edited:

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man! You guys have been super helpful for this noobie. I shall be sleeping much better than I expected to tonight.

The intention is to try and get this sorted out later this week, then bring back a report for others who may be similarly troubled in the future.(y)

StealthTech6

Reaction score
Definitely iron deposits! We're in the same boat🤣 IronX is supposed to work really well.
ironX will do the trick. Like others have said, these are likely iron spots/deposits from brakes and whatever else we drive through.

dtlrshp

Reaction score
No one mentioned that those flares are plastic, and not metal, so it can't be rust from the inside out?

100% iron fallout. Use a iron fallout remover. It happens on all cars, just more noticeable on lighter colored cars because of the contrast.

Users who are viewing this thread