5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running with tail gate down

Rupp

Reaction score
Guys,
I just went to Home Depot for the first time in my truck and got some lumber. I needed to leave the tail gate down. My question is - is there an option somewhere to turn off the "Tail Gate Down" in the center of the dash?

ericd

Reaction score
or just hit the up arrow and it will go back to your speedometer or whatever

834k3r

Reaction score
I've driven with the tailgate down multiple times, and have literally never seen that warning. In my experience, the rear ParkSense needs to be turned off if you're backing up.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've driven with the tailgate down multiple times, and have literally never seen that warning. In my experience, the rear ParkSense needs to be turned off if you're backing up.
I thought all Laramie's had the tailgate ajar warning included as standard equpiment. I know my Laramie had it.

JbVt

Reaction score
I thought all Laramie's had the tailgate ajar warning included as standard equpiment. I know my Laramie had it.
Sometime last year they got rid of the tailgate ajar warning. There is a thread somewhere on here. I know my level 2 bighorn has it listed on my build sheet(05/2020 build date) and I have also never seen any kind of tailgate ajar warning or icon in dash.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Huge thread on it. If you have an AlphaOBD, and you have it on your build sheet you can turn it on in the settings. They turn it off in the settings from the factory.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sometime last year they got rid of the tailgate ajar warning. There is a thread somewhere on here. I know my level 2 bighorn has it listed on my build sheet(05/2020 build date) and I have also never seen any kind of tailgate ajar warning or icon in dash.

Huge thread on it. If you have an AlphaOBD, and you have it on your build sheet you can turn it on in the settings. They turn it off in the settings from the factory.

Guess I missed that thread. My new Limited warns me when my tailgate is ajar when I drive with it open. Truck was built in March of this year in case anyone doesn't see that in my sig.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess I missed that thread. My new Limited warns me when my tailgate is ajar when I drive with it open. Truck was built in March of this year in case anyone doesn't see that in my sig.
Mine has it on the build sheet, but it's turned off. I haven't bought AlfaOBD yet to turn it on.

JbVt

Reaction score
Hmmm.. must be they turned them back on for 21s.

834k3r

Reaction score
Now I'm confused. Mine has a 12/2020 build date, and I am convinced I've never seen the warning. I'll have to check tonight just to make sure I'm not being brain-dead.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Guys,
I just went to Home Depot for the first time in my truck and got some lumber. I needed to leave the tail gate down. My question is - is there an option somewhere to turn off the "Tail Gate Down" in the center of the dash?
You know you get at least a 5mpg bump by leaving the tailgate down.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now I'm confused. Mine has a 12/2020 build date, and I am convinced I've never seen the warning. I'll have to check tonight just to make sure I'm not being brain-dead.
No, just pull that piece of electrical tape off the cluster face, you'll see it! :p

I have had to resort to that in the past driving POS $500 pickups.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I finally read through all 13 pages of that thread. I have the MFT, so maybe that's why mine is working. But I know that it worked on the 2020 Laramie I bought in October of 2019, with a build date of August 2019. No MFT on that truck, and it also did not have nav, so it never received any OTA updates. I also know that the dealership never did any flash updates either because they never had it in their shop.

Users who are viewing this thread