5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Boards - Are they suppose to be loud and slightly uneven?

techieanalyst

Reaction score
So on my 2018 platinum the running boards were "silent" and they tucked up under the truck perfectly aligned, I noticed that the running boards on the ram are kinda loud and they dont tuck up flush (probably just the shape of the cab).

AGAIN not insulting the truck, just asking ;)

Attachments

• running boards.jpg
    running boards.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine are louder than the Ford power steps. That gap doesn't look right - I don't remember noticing one on mine. I'll specifically look for it next time I'm by the truck.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2018 F-150 Limited I almost bought was in the showroom, so you could easily hear them. They weren't silent but the Ram boards are definitely louder. I choose to think that means they are beefier and not broken in yet.
I've seen some variation in models on the lots. Some looked perfectly aligned and others were off on one end - usually the rear end as I recall. I planned to "adjust" mine if they wind up off like yours.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could hear my running boards deploy and retract on my F150 I traded. Similar noise on the new Ram. I will agree they don't tuck up like my old F150 and mine also have a bigger gap at the back. The boards are straight and the body isn't..... I think.....

techieanalyst

Reaction score
I could hear my running boards deploy and retract on my F150 I traded. Similar noise on the new Ram. I will agree they don't tuck up like my old F150 and mine also have a bigger gap at the back. The boards are straight and the body isn't..... I think.....

Shape of the cab for sure, probably something for aerodynamics or something but it isn't a straight

Actually yeah I could "somewhat" hear my ford, but open your door and listen, my ford was a lot quieter

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree it is the shape of the cab. Looking at pictures I have taken of 3 trucks in person (including my own), the end where the rear door appears to be slightly lower/gapped.

As far as noise goes, I noticed they seem louder/more noticeable when sitting inside the cab vs standing outside right next to them... which is strange, but I assume the sound is transferring through the frame and bouncing around inside the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread