5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running board motor failure

Rahnrocket

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 2020 Ram, with 80K miles has the power running boards. The driver side board hesitates, sometimes deploys, other times doesn't. The dealer looked at it and told me the brackets were rusted and the motor is failing....Recommended replacing both brackets and the motors. Of course, my extended service warranty won't cover it because the dealer says there is rust.

I inspected the brackets and can't see any rust. I don't know if the repair tech is must trying to sell extra parts to me or if I just can't find the problem. The vehicle is only 3 years old. I can't believe Ram would sell an external part that rusts within a three year timeframe. The cost to me is almost 600 dollars so it's worth some effort to get it diagnosed correctly and fixed.

I saw some other threads of people having problems with this accessory item and it is Very disappointing that Ram would not fix such a problem after it clearly is a design flaw. NO where was I told that I had to service the power running boards.

anyone have any ideas?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe clean and lubricate them and cycle a few times to see if they free up. Cheap before spending any money.

barrak

Reaction score
Maybe clean and lubricate them and cycle a few times to see if they free up. Cheap before spending any money.
I second that. Motor has a protective logic to prevent it from burning up against seizing. It will only tug momentarily before giving up. There are helpful videos for reviving completely seized boards. Hopefully, the OP's motor is fine.

loc8or

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. And I have maintained them with silicone spray! I had the truck undercoat sprayed when new. Lifetime against rust. Does it apply to running boards?? Idk. I may be finding out soon

Users who are viewing this thread