5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Board Lights

DeanM2

Reaction score
Would like to add some LED lights above my Running Boards. I want these light to work ONLY when the cab lights come on/off when unlocking the truck.

How can/where/should I tie into the existing wiring to connect these lights to the existing truck wiring that powers the interior Dome Lights so that they come on when I unlock the truck, and go off after I start the truck; which I think is the normal behavior????

Separate but related, I see that there are rubber "plugs" along the bottom of the truck body sill. Would these be a good way to bring the LED light wiring that will be mounted on the bottom of the truck body sill into the truck?

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the amount of money we pay for these things they should be standard.

Reaction score
Would like to add some LED lights above my Running Boards. I want these light to work ONLY when the cab lights come on/off when unlocking the truck.

How can/where/should I tie into the existing wiring to connect these lights to the existing truck wiring that powers the interior Dome Lights so that they come on when I unlock the truck, and go off after I start the truck; which I think is the normal behavior????

Separate but related, I see that there are rubber "plugs" along the bottom of the truck body sill. Would these be a good way to bring the LED light wiring that will be mounted on the bottom of the truck body sill into the truck?
I tied them into the puddle lights on my mirrors using this relay https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T3RT5MG?psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_ct_5E39XGC1FKPHRCBCXGVK . this relay closes the switch at @ 3 volts as the puddle lights ramp up from 0 to 12 volts upon activation
i spliced the wires from the passenger door module connector C1 pins 1 & 5 for the control side of relay , i ran a 2 amp fused wire direct from battery for power side of relay . if memory serves the wires were grey and brown w red trace. i am not 100% sure on the wire colors

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online