5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Board Install - 2 Bolts

mnkdrt

Reaction score
Hey All,

Got a 2021 1500 2 weeks ago and ordered some running boards. My truck has bolts welded luckily and went to install them this morning. When ordering of course the site verified these would fit. The frame bracket on the instructions shows to only use 2 Bolts and the plate doesn't even fit in width to reach the third, this seems bat **** crazy to me.

Anyone else install boards using only 2 bolts out of three on each plate? Sorry for the clarity on the one pic, but only 2 bolts mounted with the third just sitting outside the plate.

Thanks,
M

Attachments

• 20210129_070108.jpg
    20210129_070108.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210129_070235.jpg
    20210129_070235.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 41

GaryT

Reaction score
My aftermarket steps wouldnt use one stud on each bracket, I was thinking that they used 3 out of 4 but its been a year and I dont remember. No problems with them though.

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
Thats how they are made. Makes them fit a wider variety of models i suppose. I had a pair of APS I-boards with those same brackets that use only 2 of the 3 mounting bolts. I'm 270# and the I-boards were sturdy with just a little flex. I think the little bit of flex was more due to the design of the board then the mounting brackets.

I sold them - not because they weren't strong -but because the finish started to corrode slightly and I wanted to go with a different style/brand of step - the replacement uses all 3 bolts.

Here is the old set up using the brackets you have.

ram my ram.jpg

Last edited:

mnkdrt

Reaction score
Thats how they are made. Makes them fit a wider variety of models i suppose. I had a pair of APS I-boards with those same brackets that use only 2 of the 3 mounting bolts. I'm 270# and the I-boards were sturdy with just a little flex. I think the little bit of flex was more due to the design of the board then the mounting brackets.

I sold them - not because they weren't strong -but because the finish started to corrode slightly and I wanted to go with a different style/brand of step - the replacement uses all 3 bolts.

Here is the old set up using the brackets you have.

View attachment 81018
Perfect, I'll finish the install then. Thanks for the help on it!

Scmil

Reaction score
The OEM boards I took off had holes for 4 bolts, but only 3 used from factory to match the studs in the frame. The replacement AMP boards were the same (4 holes, but used 3 of the four to mount)

Users who are viewing this thread