5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumors of inline Turbo 6 Gas engine

Greenscape

Reaction score
I am seeing smatterings of this come up in different areas. Does anyone have any more concrete evidence that this is actually a near future reality? I personally love the idea. The 5.7 Hemi is great but getting old in the tooth ..

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a sucker for inline turbo engines, so I have to admit, I’d love to see it happen. Guess we’ll find out in a few years if that materializes.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's been rumored for years. Personally I'd like to see a better N/A hemi instead of a turbo 6 but I get I'm in the minority. Surely if Ford's 5.0 can match the 5.7 in terms of hp/tq there has to be room on the table yet for the hemi to bump up its output.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's been rumored for years. Personally I'd like to see a better N/A hemi instead of a turbo 6 but I get I'm in the minority. Surely if Ford's 5.0 can match the 5.7 in terms of hp/tq there has to be room on the table yet for the hemi to bump up its output.

True, though the Coyote is capable of 460 hp / 420 lb-ft in the base Mustang GT, but only 400 hp / 410 lb-ft in the F150. Ford says the reduction in power is due to packaging, but many believe it's because they don't want it to compete too close to the 3.5L Ecoboost which is their top motor. It also gets very close to similar EPA mileage while probably higher real world mpg.

A re-done Hemi would also be my choice, but we are too close to the EV future all the manufacturers are shooting for. I expect next steps in motor development for RAM to be an I6 Turbo and then hybrid version to full EV.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like a good fit for RAM/Jeep/Dodge since they have mostly rear drive vehicles. Most manufacturers, other then BMW, got away from inline 6's mostly due to the fact they are to long to be mounted transversely so they don't work in FWD applications.

Scram1500

Reaction score
As much as I don't want to lose the Hemi V8, which is inevitable at some point, an inline 6 is the way to go. An inline 6 is inherently balanced and has 40% less moving parts than it's V6 cousin. The only downside is engine length

silver billet

Reaction score
True, though the Coyote is capable of 460 hp / 420 lb-ft in the base Mustang GT, but only 400 hp / 410 lb-ft in the F150. Ford says the reduction in power is due to packaging, but many believe it's because they don't want it to compete too close to the 3.5L Ecoboost which is their top motor. It also gets very close to similar EPA mileage while probably higher real world mpg.

A re-done Hemi would also be my choice, but we are too close to the EV future all the manufacturers are shooting for. I expect next steps in motor development for RAM to be an I6 Turbo and then hybrid version to full EV.

I have to believe though that the EB will have more torque down low and so it will feel stronger. Guys on other forums claim the 5.0 (in the F150) has to wind up a lot to make its power, so like usual, peak HP/torque ratings are only 1/2 of the story as far as engine performance goes.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Triton63

Reaction score
I’d like to see the 3.0 inline turbo 6 hooked up to a new 8hp hybrid transmission. Maybe 500 hp 600 lbft, 30 mpg. Can I have my cake and eat it too? Probably not lol, but I do think if they do mate these two together it would be smart to be able to assist more out of the electric motor than the ford powerboost does at 70-75mph/1600 rpm. Gotta stay out of the boost on the highway to get better mpg there too.

Tinshield

Reaction score
I love inline 6's. I remember fondly my old F150's with 300ci inline 6. Probably one of the best engines back then. My wife's BMW X3 M40i's I6 is ridiculously powerful and smooth. A 3.0L turbo with 350 or so HP would be fantastic in a 1500. Gas mileage would be a question though. I6's aren't known for efficiency. I think added friction is the main culprit but maybe they've figured that out?

mophead

Reaction score
I'll take a big torquey straight six all day long. Had a built 340 and a 440-6. Love to have either of those motors or Helliphant even in a new Ram.. now and then. Day in day out, year after year, I'll take ol reliable any time. Don't say I'm jaded just because I drank in everything BMW said about straight sixes in the late 70's either. Damn Madison Avenue!!!

Users who are viewing this thread