5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Purple and Mopar oil filters

RAM EAGLE

Reaction score
Probably been done before. I had some time on my hands and two new oil filters. I decided to measure the oil intake holes on the Royal Purple 10-48 and compare to the Mopar Mo-339. Both fit the 2020 1500 Hemi 5.7 motor. The only reason I cared is because I figured the RP filter to be an upgrade to the Mopar brand. When I saw 6 inlet holes vs 7 in the Mopar, I became a little concerned. I didn't tear them apart and measure the length of the filter elements, ONLY the inlet hole size. Surely someone has done all that by now.

I used the average of all the inlet holes in each filter to figure the diameter, radius and area.

Bottom line is this:
Mopar area from 7 holes is approximately 154.35 mm.
Royal Purple area from 6 holes is approximately 151.2mm.

The difference in area is 3.15mm (.124") in favor of the Mopar. That doesn't seem like an issue at all.

I'd like to hear opinions on both filters and any others you feel like lifting up or tearing down. :)

Of course no guarantees on accuracy but I did my best .

IMG_1185.jpg

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I'd run Mopar over the gimmicky purple. RP just got bought again too, FYI.
From what I understand, their quality went out the door when they got bought the first time. Of course you can run what you want.
And no, just measuring those holes won't tell you how a filter will perform.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never had any issue using Mopar oil filters, nor of the 8 or 9 other Mopar owners that I know. In fact, one of my sons cured a ticking noise after switching to Mopar oil filters. As Jdefoe stated, there's a lot more to determining the performance of an oil filter than just the size of the oil outlet holes.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042088 miles.

Krootz

Reaction score
When I first bought my truck, (within the first couple weeks) I heard knocking and rattling from the top end of the engine on initial start up. I attributed it to the drain back valve on the MOPAR oil filter allowing oil to drain all the way out of the engine. For that reason I researched oil filters, paying special attention to the drain back valves, using YouTube, BoBistheOilGuy.com, etc. I narrowed it down to Wix, Royal Purple, and K&N.

I picked up a Wix platinum since my previous experiences with their quality has been great. Well, after about a week into the fresh oil change with the Wix I heard it again at initial startup. Noisy top end and then it quiets down once the oil gets in there. Only once, but still makes me cringe because that's excessive wear on my engine!

Then I picked up the K&N filter (the one without the bottom nut.) After changing the oil and using the K&N, I've never once heard the top end make any noise, even after letting it sit for a couple of days.

Not sure if it was a fluke or maybe the oil I use just doesn't go well with certain filters, but for me and my truck it's K&N filters and Rotella gas truck oil.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I first bought my truck, (within the first couple weeks) I heard knocking and rattling from the top end of the engine on initial start up. I attributed it to the drain back valve on the MOPAR oil filter allowing oil to drain all the way out of the engine. For that reason I researched oil filters, paying special attention to the drain back valves, using YouTube, BoBistheOilGuy.com, etc. I narrowed it down to Wix, Royal Purple, and K&N.

I picked up a Wix platinum since my previous experiences with their quality has been great. Well, after about a week into the fresh oil change with the Wix I heard it again at initial startup. Noisy top end and then it quiets down once the oil gets in there. Only once, but still makes me cringe because that's excessive wear on my engine!

Then I picked up the K&N filter (the one without the bottom nut.) After changing the oil and using the K&N, I've never once heard the top end make any noise, even after letting it sit for a couple of days.

Not sure if it was a fluke or maybe the oil I use just doesn't go well with certain filters, but for me and my truck it's K&N filters and Rotella gas truck oil.
It may well have been a fluke. I've used Mopar oil filters almost exclusively over the course of three Rams with the 5.7 motor and a total of 235,000 miles and have yet to have any issue. After one of my sons was having the so-called "hemi tick" problem at start up, I persuaded him to try the Mopar oil filter and he hasn't had any start up noise since.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044348 miles.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It may well have been a fluke. I've used Mopar oil filters almost exclusively over the course of three Rams with the 5.7 motor and a total of 235,000 miles and have yet to have any issue. After one of my sons was having the so-called "hemi tick" problem at start up, I persuaded him to try the Mopar oil filter and he hasn't had any start up noise since.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044348 miles.
There might be something to that. I used a Wix filter on my previous oil change and got the startup tick on occasion. I went back to MOPAR this time and haven't heard the tick yet.

Krootz

Reaction score
I’m wondering why I got the startup tick with the MOPAR filter if everyone has had great results?

Maybe I’ll try again and see if I hear anything. I’ve heard there are 2 filter options with MOPAR, (MO-339 being one) anyone find anything better between the two?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a Mopar MO-899 filter which is larger in diameter and slightly longer. This filter was the standard filter on 5.7s up to mid-2014 when they started using the MO-339. Both my 2010 and 2014s came with this filter. As far as I know, it is still the factory filter on 2500-3500 Hemis.

There is a MO-041 filter listed for Hemis that has a higher bypass pressure to ensure that oil is pumped through the filter element at higher pump pressures, but I don't know much about it otherwise.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044404 miles.

Krootz

Reaction score
That really good info, thank you for that. I’ll pick up the older version as well as what my truck calls for and see what happens. Honestly, it would be nice not to have to drop $15 on an oil filter if I can get a MOPAR for way cheaper and get the same results.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That really good info, thank you for that. I’ll pick up the older version as well as what my truck calls for and see what happens. Honestly, it would be nice not to have to drop $15 on an oil filter if I can get a MOPAR for way cheaper re have been a few comments about the MO-899 a few others that the
I should mention that a few have commented that the MO-899 filter will not fit, and I think by that they meant it won't mount to the engine because of clearance. Since I have a two-wheel drive without a front differential I can attest to the fact it will fit on mine, but I'm not sure about 4x4s.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044409 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread