5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough ride.

baf3472

Reaction score
I recently traded in my 2021 limited for another 2021 limited. My first truck rode amazing. As good as any luxury cars I’ve had in the past. When I bought the new truck, I didn’t test drive it because I figured it was the same truck, so why bother. After a few days with it, i have however noticed this new truck rides a little harsher than the old one. I know it’s not my memory because one particular road I use to get home everyday would feel like glass driving over it now and now feels like it has a bunch of pebbles on it. I feel every small bump. The only difference between the 2 trucks is the tires. They both had goodyears but the first one had forteras while this new one has eagle tourings. I’ve tried reading up on both tires and most things I’ve read say the eagle tourings should be the smoother riding tire of the two so I’m not sure if maybe something else might be causing the ride. Has anyone had any experience with both tires or a rough ride on air suspension?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you check your air pressure, the factory fills the pressure up to 60+ psi to prevent flat spotting sitting on lots, the dealership usually forgets to bring them down to normal before delivery.

If it's normal, then its likely the difference in tire packages from your previous RAM.

baf3472

Reaction score
Did you check your air pressure, the factory fills the pressure up to 60+ psi to prevent flat spotting sitting on lots, the dealership usually forgets to bring them down to normal before delivery.

If it's normal, then its likely the difference in tire packages from your previous RAM.
i did. They were at 41. I lowered them to 36 but didn’t make much difference.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can, I'd like to take a peek at the window stickers on both; if you don't have them, a VIN for both your old and new vehicle will work too.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
i did. They were at 41. I lowered them to 36 but didn’t make much difference.

Gotcha. Then highly likely it's the tires. They can have a big difference in ride quality, I switched from stock to Michelin LTX on my previous truck felt like night and day, so much more supple of a ride, same tires size and type, just a different brand made that huge of a difference.

The other thing I can think of is some sort of suspension limiters for transport. On some cars, they install a big bump stop to prevent the vehicle from moving around too much while being transported to the dealership, if they forget to remove them, the ride is rough. Though I highly doubt the RAMs are shipped with them. But just in case, inspect your springs and all 4 corners, make sure there isn't anything usual attached to them.

baf3472

Reaction score
If you can, I'd like to take a peek at the window stickers on both; if you don't have them, a VIN for both your old and new vehicle will work too.
I’ll take a pic of the new trucks window sticker and see if I can find the older one tomorrow. The only difference is old truck had ram boxes and no night edition, new truck is night edition with no ram boxes.

baf3472

Reaction score
w
Gotcha. Then highly likely it's the tires. They can have a big difference in ride quality, I switched from stock to Michelin LTX on my previous truck felt like night and day, so much more supple of a ride, same tires size and type, just a different brand made that huge of a difference.

The other thing I can think of is some sort of suspension limiters for transport. On some cars, they install a big bump stop to prevent the vehicle from moving around too much while being transported to the dealership, if they forget to remove them, the ride is rough. Though I highly doubt the RAMs are shipped with them. But just in case, inspect your springs and all 4 corners, make sure there isn't anything usual attached to them.
Thank you. I’ll check around the springs tomorrow but I’m pretty sure the air suspension just has a transport mode and no actual hardware. I have new wheels and tires ready to put on so I guess I’ll find out soon enough if it’s the tires.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah lemme know, I'll take a look. Tires alone can affect a ride a lot, not just tire pressure but the brand and model tire as well.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
w

Thank you. I’ll check around the springs tomorrow but I’m pretty sure the air suspension just has a transport mode and no actual hardware. I have new wheels and tires ready to put on so I guess I’ll find out soon enough if it’s the tires.

Opps, there goes my reading comprehension. You got the air suspension, so no coils, my bad.

baf3472

Reaction score
Yeah lemme know, I'll take a look. Tires alone can affect a ride a lot, not just tire pressure but the brand and model tire as well.
Here are the window stickers. I'm sure it doesnt make a difference for this but they dont include any add-ons the dealer did like tint, wheel locks, etc...
WhiteRam21WindowStickerPDF.jpg MagneticRam21WindowStickerPDF.jpg

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are the window stickers. I'm sure it doesnt make a difference for this but they dont include any add-ons the dealer did like tint, wheel locks, etc...
View attachment 87314 View attachment 87315
Yeah thanks for that, well mechanically speaking engine, axle, tire, and wheel wise...they’re identical. The fact that there are other minor differences really shouldn’t affect ride comfort. Maybe the rambox setup on the bed...mayyyybe, but that’s a stretch. Tire pressure good?

baf3472

Reaction score
Yeah thanks for that, well mechanically speaking engine, axle, tire, and wheel wise...they’re identical. The fact that there are other minor differences really shouldn’t affect ride comfort. Maybe the rambox setup on the bed...mayyyybe, but that’s a stretch. Tire pressure good?
That’s what I was thinking. It either has to be the tires or there’s something wrong with the suspension, which is a long shot. I’m putting new tires on soon and guess I’ll see. Thank you for your help.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. It either has to be the tires or there’s something wrong with the suspension, which is a long shot. I’m putting new tires on soon and guess I’ll see. Thank you for your help.
Yeah sorry I couldn’t be of more help, I was thinking it was a different tire setup but doesn’t appear that way. Either way, hope you like this truck more and find out the ride issue.

Eweezy15

Reaction score
I recently traded in my 2021 limited for another 2021 limited. My first truck rode amazing. As good as any luxury cars I’ve had in the past. When I bought the new truck, I didn’t test drive it because I figured it was the same truck, so why bother. After a few days with it, i have however noticed this new truck rides a little harsher than the old one. I know it’s not my memory because one particular road I use to get home everyday would feel like glass driving over it now and now feels like it has a bunch of pebbles on it. I feel every small bump. The only difference between the 2 trucks is the tires. They both had goodyears but the first one had forteras while this new one has eagle tourings. I’ve tried reading up on both tires and most things I’ve read say the eagle tourings should be the smoother riding tire of the two so I’m not sure if maybe something else might be causing the ride. Has anyone had any experience with both tires or a rough ride on air suspension?
Did you ever figure it out, I’m having the exact same problem with my ‘21 Limited. I’ve taken it to 3 different dealerships and the all say the tires. When this problem first started I went out and got new tires because they said that was the problem turns out new tires made no difference. I hate driving my truck now, this sucks.

6of36

Reaction score
If both trucks are Limiteds, they have air suspension, so it cant be different springs. The only thing that can vary, is tires, or shocks. I see 22" wheels on one, but not the other. That could make a difference. 22s are only .2" taller than the 20s. They have 1" less sidewall.

jdawgjm

Reaction score
Both look like they have 22s optioned. I would double check the rear shock part number to match up and make sure the ORG wasn’t accidentally out on. Unfortunately I don’t have the part numbers handy.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This thread was 2 years old.
I'm sure OP figured out whatever it was or sold their truck...

Did you ever figure it out, I’m having the exact same problem with my ‘21 Limited. I’ve taken it to 3 different dealerships and the all say the tires. When this problem first started I went out and got new tires because they said that was the problem turns out new tires made no difference. I hate driving my truck now, this sucks.
Making your own thread and posting what your truck actually is will get you better results.

baf3472

Reaction score
Hey. No I never figured it out. I traded the truck in. This was after owning the truck for 4 months. In that time, the dealer balanced the tires several times, I replaced the tires, then dealer replaced those tires, changed the driveshaft, and then the front hubs (that they made me pay for claiming there’s no way one of their mechanics could have damaged them) and tried road force balancing again several times, only to tell me it was driving perfect every time I picked it up. I would drive exactly one mile when I picked it up, nothing would be different and I would bring it right back to them.

6of36

Reaction score
Both look like they have 22s optioned. I would double check the rear shock part number to match up and make sure the ORG wasn’t accidentally out on. Unfortunately I don’t have the part numbers handy.
I went back and looked, and I was wrong, I do see 22s on both. The pictures, on my computer are in small writing, and a little fuzzy, especially with my old eyes. The only thing that could make a difference is tires, different load range or rubber compound, or the shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread