5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough idle

low-and-slow

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a 2019 with the standard 5.7 v8. I’m sitting here at the post office idling, and my whole body is bouncing up and down. It’s not violent or anything just very annoying to the point I usually shut my truck off any chance I get. It’s done this for awhile. This is my first Ram and Hemi. Is this how they idle? I think it’s been fairly rough since new. Should I be using a higher octane fuel? I just use regular unleaded.
Thanks

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
No, that doesn't sound normal. I've use 87, 89, and 93, and it always idles so smooth that you'd almost think the truck was off.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not a rough idle, it's a shaking of the engine/truck. There are threads on it if you look. Mine has done this since new, figured it was just a Hemi thing.

41magmag41

Reaction score
Mine idles so quietly I have to look at the tach to see if she's still idling . Gas octane has nothing to do with it but you should be using 89 octane like the owners handbook calls for.

low-and-slow

Reaction score
Hmm. Thanks for the replies. Someone mentioned there is a TSB regarding the issue. Anyone know which one that would be? Thanks

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a 2019 with the standard 5.7 v8. I’m sitting here at the post office idling, and my whole body is bouncing up and down. It’s not violent or anything just very annoying to the point I usually shut my truck off any chance I get. It’s done this for awhile. This is my first Ram and Hemi. Is this how they idle? I think it’s been fairly rough since new. Should I be using a higher octane fuel? I just use regular unleaded.
Thanks
Highly recommend at least 89 octane. And at least a synthetic blend oil (if not full synthetic) whenever you get the oil changed. Mine will idle rough once in a while on first warm up if I don't drive within 5 minutes. But other than that...some good spark plugs will be my next investment.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ethanol may be the culprit. Ethanol has a tendency to attract water from the surrounding environment and pull it into the fuel mixture.

Mario CPA

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Thanks
I just bought a 2021 Laramie and I was ready to walk away because of the idle shake. The salesman had me check two other trucks and they both had the idle shake. I even went to another dealership and test drove a similar equipped Laramie and it did the same shake. I used premium gas and it still does the "idle shake". I only have 500 miles on mine but I want to bring it in to see if they have a TSB or an update to the ECM. In the meantime I'll have to deal with the shake.

low-and-slow

Reaction score
Yeah it’s pretty ridiculous. I’ve had enough issues with the truck I’m beginning to regret my purchase. First and last Ram for me.

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
My 2020 has 17,000 miles, and it does it when it idles at 500 rpm.. I run 89 octane or higher.. its totally normal.. its done that since it's been brand new.. I'm guessing it's just a Hemi thing..

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah it’s pretty ridiculous. I’ve had enough issues with the truck I’m beginning to regret my purchase. First and last Ram for me.
What other issues have you had ? I’m just asking because this is my third Ram and I haven’t had a problem with any of them .

low-and-slow

Reaction score
What other issues have you had ? I’m just asking because this is my third Ram and I haven’t had a problem with any of them .
Squealing and groaning brake issues they can’t seem to fix. GPS stopped working so they had to replace the whole radio. The new one has an issue where it periodically cuts out the audio every few seconds and the backup camera doesn’t work. Very loud wind noise at the top of the driver and passenger doors. Check engine light for an emissions issue. Tailgate won’t open when it’s cold. Water intrusion at the back of the cab so my headliner is stained now. There is probably more just can’t think of them right now.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Squealing and groaning brake issues they can’t seem to fix. GPS stopped working so they had to replace the whole radio. The new one has an issue where it periodically cuts out the audio every few seconds and the backup camera doesn’t work. Very loud wind noise at the top of the driver and passenger doors. Check engine light for an emissions issue. Tailgate won’t open when it’s cold. Water intrusion at the back of the cab so my headliner is stained now. There is probably more just can’t think of them right now.
Wow that’s f$cked . I can certainly understand you being extremely disappointed as I would be too . It’s a shame really because they are a really nice truck . For the audio cutting in and out there’s a TSB out for that and apparently the fix is replacing the back up camera .

Last edited:

CDNBighorn

Reaction score
I too have this shake at idle in my 2019 1500 Bighorn. Drives fine and has power but i also notice it when coming to a stop. the truck sort of has a chattering feel to it, its not a smooth braking experience as you come to a stop, its not dangerous or over powering but somewhat subtle. Its like this shake/bounce is also affecting the way the truck brakes, anyone else notice this? I also noticed that the incandescent map lights flicker along with the shake/bounce at idle. Ive had this truck in for the 4th time now and each time the tech says he found no issues and just reprograms the truck. The latest conversation with him was to try a different fuel. I too use 87 but will try 89. But after reading this post im not sure thats going to help. Anyone find a solution as of yet?

JMMc

Reaction score
2021 Ram Lonestar. Just started noticing a rough idle. My wife actually noticed sitting the drive way. I got in and it was shaking and vibrating even though the tac was steady. Couple that with a leaking back window, dieing several times on the way home from work ( dealer said it was the start button and replaced it) and now the radio will come with no sound. I've had it with this hunk of junk.

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
I have this as well. A little shimmy at idle. Feels like if you're sitting at a red light and other cars are driving by you fast. I had a rocker arm break at only a few thousand miles, so I thought maybe there was some residual effect from that, but guess it is common based on your comments. I'm at almost 17k now on 2019.

I run 89 or above always from Mobile or other Top Tier. Just filled with 93, but see no difference. Might add some Techron to see if that helps

Domtracz21

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram classic and it does the same thing. My 3rd Dodge and I should’ve learned my lesson by now. Bought it with 8k miles now at 36 and the whole time I’ve owned it, it shakes the cabin at idle like you’re in a massage chair. Dealer was no help and said it was normal. No codes no answer or solution I could find to the problem I’ve learned to turn the music up and live with it so I don’t notice how annoying it is. New spark plugs and all the injector cleaner Ive used. Better gas and no difference

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too much tech with these modern vehicles. The technicians and engineers can't even figure this stuff out.

I've been fortunate enough to have no issues since I drove off the lot in August 2020 except a cracked passenger manifold.

You guys have every right to be upset. I would be.

Do you think upping your idle would help?

Users who are viewing this thread